Batman vs. Detective Comics

7 posts in this topic

I've always been a Batman fan and (though I don't have huge expectations of completing a run) would like start collecting some of the older batman books. Can anyone tell me if there is a reason to collect Batman over Detective Comics or vice versa? Any big difference between the tone of the stories? Is one more sought after than the other?

Thanks for any help!

- Chadwick

It all differs depending on era. From a collecting perspective, I don't think it makes a difference between the two for the older stuff (BA and older). As you get more towards the modern stuff, I think the Batman title has the better storylines and collector interest.

It all differs depending on era. From a collecting perspective, I don't think it makes a difference between the two for the older stuff (BA and older). As you get more towards the modern stuff, I think the Batman title has the better storylines and collector interest.

I certainly like your sig line. That's the era I would collect.

My only issue with huge runs is the space that it eats up. My physical collection is very modest in size compared to everyone else's (one long box and about 10 short boxes). Even then, I still catch a lot of flak from the wife.

As blasphemous as it sounds, I went digital with my full Batman and Detective Comics run. All the way up to the end before the New 52 took over. For the New 52, I stick with the trades. Same for my Savage Sword of Conan run. You don't get that nice paper smell, but it's very convenient and allows you access to 75 years' worth of stories.

My goal, since I will never have a complete run of Batman and Detective Comics is to get the runs of both series from January 1970 and up.

That's a great goal. They are stylistically very different if you start going older than that. But as you work on those you'll find that it's not so hard to go back to 1965 or 1960 or maybe even 1955. Beyond that is pretty hard these days.

It's a great run (I especially like Batman 200-400) and good luck!

If you're going back to the Golden Age, the Batman title is all Batman content, while Detective is a 13 or so page story with several unrelated back up features. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12