• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman vs. Detective Comics

28 posts in this topic

I've always been a Batman fan and (though I don't have huge expectations of completing a run) would like start collecting some of the older batman books. Can anyone tell me if there is a reason to collect Batman over Detective Comics or vice versa? Any big difference between the tone of the stories? Is one more sought after than the other?

Thanks for any help!

- Chadwick

Batman is far more sought after and there are fewer issues from the time period because it wasn't monthly like Detective. Batman is more expensive than Detective on a per issue basis, of course. But you also get Batman throughout as opposed to the back up stories in Detective that are generally of much less interest.

It just depends what you like and what periods you want to collect. I love both titles and both have a smattering of highlights through every decade. Some of my faves:

Golden age -- the earliest books from both titles are way cool

Silver age -- Detective #359 (1st Batgirl); Batman #181 (1st Poison Ivy)

Bronze age -- Neal Adams Batman run with tons of essential keys (#222, 227, 232, 234, 243-245); Detective #411 (1st Talia) and some of the other 15c/20c Adams covers

Late bronze age -- Detectives #481-495 dollar format (childhood books)

Copper age -- Batman Year One, #404-407

Better question, (maybe should be a new topic but...) I've only been collecting, at oldest, copper age and modern. Any tips of getting out of the mind set of only needing 9.8's? I know, especially with golden age, I will be looking for lower grades but it's hard. Up to this point been collecting runs of TMNT vol. 1, Harley Quinn 2000 series, and a full run of Y Last Man.

Better question, (maybe should be a new topic but...) I've only been collecting, at oldest, copper age and modern. Any tips of getting out of the mind set of only needing 9.8's? I know, especially with golden age, I will be looking for lower grades but it's hard. Up to this point been collecting runs of TMNT vol. 1, Harley Quinn 2000 series, and a full run of Y Last Man.
when you collect 9.8s are they slabbed? Try collecting raws, and you will get out of the "label chasing" mode....there are 9.4s/9.6s that look just as nice as some 9.8s but for a defect on the BC...

Buy one that costs you a bunch of money in mid to low grade and that will be your reality check when you receive the invoice and have to pay for it (unless you are a millionaire in that case buy what you want and can find)!! Forget 9.8 that will never happen with GA books....1st because of the cost and 2nd most do not even exist in that grade (I do not even know of a GA Detective Comic or Batman that exists in that grade). Get use to buying CGC 4.0 to CGC 6.0....and by the way there is NOTHING wrong with those grades for such vintage comic books. I would just suggest to stay away from comics that have pages graded lower than cream and any type of rust on either staple (s).

especially when you get out of DC, fawcett and timely (and maybe timely too) you may find that some of the highest gradest copies are only 6.5 - 7.5 and I'm not talking about just rare 1930s stuff, 1940s and even some 50s stuff too. i had a copy of "hit" comics like in the 20s in 6.5 and it was the highest on the census. mind you, with so much pressing going on the last 5 years maybe that has changed, but my copy, for example, wouldn't have been helped by a press, it was a 6.5 because of foxing on the back.

Buy one that costs you a bunch of money in mid to low grade and that will be your reality check when you receive the invoice and have to pay for it (unless you are a millionaire in that case buy what you want and can find)!! Forget 9.8 that will never happen with GA books....1st because of the cost and 2nd most do not even exist in that grade (I do not even know of a GA Detective Comic or Batman that exists in that grade). Get use to buying CGC 4.0 to CGC 6.0....and by the way there is NOTHING wrong with those grades for such vintage comic books. I would just suggest to stay away from comics that have pages graded lower than cream and any type of rust on either staple (s).

Haha sadly not a millionaire. Thanks for the tips. Looking forward to this new endeavor.

Here is a key Silver Age comic (Amazing Spider-Man #14) that is currently up for auction that grades CGC 9.8 it will most likely sell for 75 000$!! This is a population 1 with none graded higher. Imagine what a key Golden Age comic would cost you in CGC 9.8....most likely well over 1$ million dollars and higher depending on the comic book (I am not talking Superman or Batman that would be a 10$ million dollar comic books).

Link:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-amazing-spider-man-14-marvel-1964-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7152-91189.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Here is a key Silver Age comic (Amazing Spider-Man #14) that is currently up for auction that grades CGC 9.8 it will most likely sell for 75 000$!! This is a population 1 with none graded higher. Imagine what a key Golden Age comic would cost you in CGC 9.8....most likely well over 1$ million dollars and higher depending on the comic book.

Link:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-amazing-spider-man-14-marvel-1964-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7152-91189.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Yep that certainly helps put things in perspective.