• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deciding by pjallen080483

11 posts in this topic

????

I find it difficult each and every time I decide that I want to send something new into CGC. A lot of thought and second guessing and adding and taking away from my submission happens every time. Do I want to send off stuff I plan on keeping and adding to the registry, or do I send the things that might turn a buck or two. I don't really know a time that it has been easy for me to just say "yeah these books are going this time". It was easier for me to enlist into the military than it has been for me to pick what to send off and what not too. I know that was pretty much a ramble but for those of you that decide to read this. What goes into your decision making process for stuff you want to send in. If you're like me which I know some may be. Funds don't always allow for a submission every week or month or two. So please any input would be greatly appreciated.

See more journals by pjallen080483

Mix it up. If you can send in four then keep two and sell two. I do have issues what to send in when I worry about the grade. It's when I do it for the love of the book that I enjoy any results.

i let the dice gods choose, i have basicly 3 lists (2 lists & numbered pics) that has every book i'm considering sending for gradeing (8 small boxes atm)

a word doc with a #'ed list of all books with dates, an excel with them seperated by date and only the # and a pic of each book with it's corasponding # (little over 900 books in total)

i send 30 at a time so from the excel i take 5 of the oldest from said teir (date) that i'm sending under & whatever the last # on the list is for that teir (trying to shorten the list), thoes pics come out 1st

the other 24 i role 3d10 (so a 374 comes up and i look for book 374, if 374 isn't there it adds up to 14 so book 14 is then choosen. if 14 is gone i do #1, next time #2 and so on......10 i count as a 0) and use the # that comes up and move the pic for that # to another folder (i do a little more though if book is from a different teir or that # is missing/already used, explained up top).....the word doc is to see what the date is so if a question comes up i have the date right there

once i have 30 pics i go through my boxes for thoes books and while in hand i'll say yes/no to gradeing said book (closer look), then i need to replace the books that were a no with more dice rolleing

some take preference like my asm 129 will be sent next time no matter what, and since i'm working on SiP and lib medows i make sure at least 1 of each is in there.....so sometimes less then 24 are decided by the dice gods

in the end i get a nice random mix of books sent in, and since i hardly sell most if not all i'm keeping.

moderns are easy as there's like 700+ of them, SA and back can be a pain as the odds of them comeing up are smaller so it takes longer for them when at random

your call but remember with 30 you maximise your shipping per book

this is the way i look at it.......just bc your not looking to sell today doesn't mean you won't later down the line, why add to the price of the book and less towards your profit

but cost of what you can afford also plays in, when i send my 30 and pressing by joey depending on teir it can cost anywhere between 700-1k per order (give or take but around thoes 2 numbers)

bc of thoes 2 price points you're not sending things in once a month, for myself bc of the prices and where i'm currently chooseing to spend my money i haven't sent anything to CGC in a few yr's except books for SS or mags.......honestly can't wait till i can send an order to CGC or "other" depending on where the better value for myself lies i haven't decided yet

i let the dice gods choose, i have basicly 3 lists (2 lists & numbered pics) that has every book i'm considering sending for gradeing (8 small boxes atm)

a word doc with a #'ed list of all books with dates, an excel with them seperated by date and only the # and a pic of each book with it's corasponding # (little over 900 books in total)

i send 30 at a time so from the excel i take 5 of the oldest from said teir (date) that i'm sending under & whatever the last # on the list is for that teir (trying to shorten the list), thoes pics come out 1st

the other 24 i role 3d10 (so a 374 comes up and i look for book 374, if 374 isn't there it adds up to 14 so book 14 is then choosen. if 14 is gone i do #1, next time #2 and so on......10 i count as a 0) and use the # that comes up and move the pic for that # to another folder (i do a little more though if book is from a different teir or that # is missing/already used, explained up top).....the word doc is to see what the date is so if a question comes up i have the date right there

once i have 30 pics i go through my boxes for thoes books and while in hand i'll say yes/no to gradeing said book (closer look), then i need to replace the books that were a no with more dice rolleing

some take preference like my asm 129 will be sent next time no matter what, and since i'm working on SiP and lib medows i make sure at least 1 of each is in there.....so sometimes less then 24 are decided by the dice gods

in the end i get a nice random mix of books sent in, and since i hardly sell most if not all i'm keeping.

moderns are easy as there's like 700+ of them, SA and back can be a pain as the odds of them comeing up are smaller so it takes longer for them when at random

Dude, that is way too complicated, but whatever works for you I guess. I'm still having trouble deciding which four books to use my coupon on, haha.

I don't collect or sell for profit, so the choice for me is easy - I send off stuff I plan on keeping / adding to the registry.

I spend more time worrying about the grade I'll get.

Dude, that is way too complicated, but whatever works for you I guess. I'm still having trouble deciding which four books to use my coupon on, haha.

not really, it's one of thoes the explantion makes it seem more complcated then it is in practice. granted it might take an hr or 2 to do it all bc as happens the last 2-3 books i'm looking for are in that last damed box or i need 2 more books under teir X and all the dice are giveing me books under teir Y

plus i need some kinda system bc honestly looking through 900+ books any time i want to send something in and take a chanch on damageing the books when i can just look at the pic's before hand is much safer and eaiser. lol and picking which 30 out of 900+ is not a easy pick, i woulld never be able to pick so i took the human element out and just leave it up to chanch

also i add and take away from the boxes all the time, buy new books at shows, book X is now hot, i don't feel like working on run X anymore so remove thoes books

lol for your 4 books, how meny do you have to pick from........the dice gods are an easy route to take

I would prefer to send in Silver Age books to get the most out of the coupon. I've picked up some books and have gone through my collection so I have about a dozen candidates so far. The plan is to take them with me to ECCC, let my friends give me their picks, and then make my decision from there. There are a lot of things to consider...do I go for the nicest looking copies? The most significant? The most valuable? The most rare? The most potential? I'm all over the place, but I dig them all so I can't really go wrong. Glad I can rely on friends like tnerb to tell it to me straight, "You don't wanna grade that garbage". lol

could also ask your kids/neices/nephues/friends kids and let them get involved, then you can show them the book when it comes back and such (pics on the pc are great for this since they can look at the book with out touching said book)

lots of times i'll let my son look at the pics and choose 1-2 books, lol bc of the # of pics he needs to go though he just sigh's and does it at this point.......he always picks a superman, thing or hulk cover. though he's 16 so i'm desturbing him from his games to do this so he doesn't care anymore and he sees every book i get anymore, but shows almost no intrest in comics

dozen books? google a dice roller and roll a d12 4 times, lay out the books on you bed or something (beforehand) then just grab thoes 4 that coraspond to the #'s the dice gods gave you. easy