• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Would You Value This Lot at?

50 posts in this topic

i know the pictures are not the best, but i am wondering what you think a market value of these books would be.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

12cent superman OCT NO 156

12cent superman NOV NO 157

12cent superman JAN NO 158

12cent superman FEB NO 159

12 cent superboy JAN NO 102

12 cent adventure comics NOV NO 302

12 cent adventure comics DEC NO 303

12 cent superman AUG NO 155

25 cent giant superman NO 6

12 cent adventure comics JAN NO 304

12 cent superman JUL NO 154

12 cent superman MAY NO 153

12 cent lois lane APR NO 40

take your list, go to the library and find an Overstreet price guide, anything from the last 3 years will do. these comics all look to be about Good to VERY GOOD. For the nicer ones take the Very good price, for the worse ones take the GOOD price. Add up the totals, then take off 40%. That's a good ballpark for your actual value.

depends on a few factors:

1. what are the approximate grades of each book?

2. are you looking for a FMV of the lot or each book in the lot combined?

If you're selling this lot, I'd consider selling each book individually to increase your return.

you will take a hit of over 50% when selling this as a lot vs. individually

$20 would be on the high end.

12 cent Superman's are slow seller.

The Legion book is a quicker sell and if you find an old time wrestling fan, the 155 is a crossover attraction.

If I saw these at a yard sale for $20, it would be 50-50 whether I buy or not.

In a convention box for $2 each, I'd pass on most of them. Very common boks in mid-grade.

13 books is it? I probably would have tried to do a little better, but for the reasons explained below, I don't think you did too badly. shadroch is an old timer and these books have been tough to move for a long time so i understand his perspective, but it seems things have gotten better lately.

I'd buy them at $2 each at a show in a heartbeat as they look like they're either in decentish shape or the ones that are less so like the adventure 303 is a semi-semi-semi key

this lois lane 40 did well ($17.50):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermans-Girlfriend-Lois-Lane-40-Silver-Age-DC-Comics-FN-50-OFF-/311477709781?hash=item488584abd5:g:pjUAAOSwniRWN9X-

the superman 153 is rough, but may be a $10ish book on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMAN-153-1939-series-The-Super-Showdown-/161882206360?hash=item25b0ee7098%3Ag%3AfPUAAOSw%7EbFWP6OQ&nma=true&si=LSlrbGpTtd7qgj9p%252FkdayU26xX0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

a VG superman 159 went for over $20:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-159-VG-4-0-DC-1963-No-Reserve-/131619842213?hash=item1ea52768a5:g:wgMAAOSwFnFWEcgo

the superman wrestling issue does well ($15+) even in lower grades:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMAN-155-ANTONINO-ROCCA-SILVER-AGE-F-/301795592630?hash=item46446b49b6:g:9K4AAOSwAYtWQjJn

I know, lower price examples an be found on all of these, but that's the case with every book. auctions are tricky and starting at 99 cents burns sellers most of the time it seems.

So, actually, the group has potential if you bust them up and have a lot of patience to be worth $80-$200 +/- for you. is that worth your time? maybe not.

But if you sell them as a lot you may have trouble getting beyond a $49.99 opening bid.

Putting aside specific runs, complete runs, etc., I find that unless lots are dirt cheap, many collectors don't want them. The only people buying are flippers like here. collectors are looking for specific issues. i have lots of mid-grade SA Flash's on ebay right now fixed price and nobody even looks at them, whereas individually the books sell, I just don't want to list them because they tend to go for $6-$10 each and I prefer listing with a minimum a little higher. I even have in the listing "make an offer on just one issue if you want", but if nobody looks they never see that

13 books @ $43 = $3.31 each, but I agree that they're well worth that to someone who enjoys classic Superman stories (the late '50s/early '60s Supes family books are among my all-time favorite DCs), and/or who thinks that comics which have survived, in-tact, for over 50 years are a neat thing to have in their own right.

Think of it this way: what you paid is less than the average cover price for a new, modern comic book. To each his own, of course, but I know which books I'd rather have.

So...flippable for big bucks? No. Cheap fun and a nice little starter collection of classic material? YES!

PS: Superman #156 is easily one of the best Superman stories of its era. A winner!!

I'm a big DC silver age collector and as a lot that would sell typically for about $40

Single issue about $6 per book

I look at it this way, from a resale perspective if you listed all 13 for auction at $8.99-9.99 starting bids and sold 5 of them you pretty much made back your $43 purchase price. And my guess is that you will sell 5 or more, particularly after a re-list or two. As noted, that actually isn't that unrealistic on several of the books and I didn't look all of them up. Obviously it is hard to tell condition-wise from here.

I like to look at things in terms of getting the initial investment back. Once I do that I feel like I can be more patient with what's left over or it can go into your collection or whatever.

Anyway, I'm just not seeing this stuff at shows as cheap as it used to be and I think a lot of perceptions here are historical and may not reflect the current market. Sure, I see some of these in $2 boxes, but nowadays they are usually more beat up than the copies pictured. It used to be they would be in that condition or better and the beaters were in dollar boxes. Of course, every show is going to have someone selling stuff cheap, I was happy to find a nice run of GI Combat Dollar books being sold for $1 in nice shape by one dealer when everyone else at NYCC had them for $2-$4 each.

Yes when I was looking for those books I couldn't get em for less than $8 each. The undersea pranks of Mr Mxyzptlk I never found for under $14 in decent shape- 4.0 or better. I think if you're patient you could get $10 a book.

Granted, I'm a collector so I don't have as ready access to Silver Age commons as many dealers on this board, but:

I'd have been overjoyed to buy them at $4 apiece, which is more than you paid.

Sure, they probably wouldn't sell for more than $6-8 each individually, so they're not flippable, but from a collectors' perspective you would have paid as much for them 20 years ago in the pre-eBay era.

So I think it's a win.