• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Would You Value This Lot at?

50 posts in this topic

Ownership or inventory.

Exactly. We can't really answer the question until we know what the OP's intent was: if he bought to re-sell for a profit, then he likely paid too much; if he bought to keep and enjoy, he likely did not.

Market value is what the market values them at, not Overstreet. I just offered 10,000 books for a quarter apiece. That's a tenth of Overstreet value. I doubt I'll sell 20% in the next two weeks.
I understand that. It's kind of that way for most products. A 2ltr bottle of Coke is .88 cents at my grocery, $2.50 at the gas station, who knows what it would be on a cruise ship.

All I'm saying is his particular group of books, if the seller asked $43 and the buyer accepted, no body's getting rich and no body's getting rooked.That specific instance only.

I know its an issue of supply and demand but its pretty scary we are debating if a set of fairly nice looking 50 year old comic books are worth $3.50 a piece. I'm not a fan of this era DCs at all but its crazy how little respect they get.

How much does getting a bound volume nicely done cost these days?
I've never done one, so I'll quote ComicBookBinding.com :

"Please note: The minimum order is two books at $30.00 per book (total $60.00)."

These guys do AMAZING work:

http://houchenbindery.com/services/comic-books/

They will charge you $18 per book (standard double fan adhesive binding) if you order 5 or more books. Each binding can hold up to 50 comics, but its recommended to go with 25 for modern / 35 older. Cloth binding is free, but any special graphic design etc is additional. They take about 4-6 weeks to process an order and they come HIGHLY recommended. Just tell them Awe sent ya (thumbs u

I feel the exact same way about those Spinner Racks people find at flea markets. A batch of books like that would look great displayed in one of those. :cloud9:

Now THOSE are very pricey..

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=alias+1+9.8&_sop=13&_sac=1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=63&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xdisplay+rack.TRS0&_nkw=display+rack&_sacat=63

I know its an issue of supply and demand but its pretty scary we are debating if a set of fairly nice looking 50 year old comic books are worth $3.50 a piece. I'm not a fan of this era DCs at all but its crazy how little respect they get.

yup. and the fact is he did ok. i would probably stop bidding around $25-30 (indeed, i wouldn't bid at all because i have a lot of this stuff already, but that's just me), but I am a cheap arse. people throw around $25 or whatever for the lot but they aren't looking at these specific issues, several of which sell for more than some of the generic superman books of the era do, plus these are a little earlier in the 60s and they get harder to move from like 1967-1969 or so.

last show i went to i did not see books like these in $2 boxes. they used to be, but not so much now. yes, these issues might have been in the $2 boxes, but they were 1.0 - 2.5 copies. these are 4.0 - 6.0 copies.

if you do this for a living, buy collections in bulk, etc., yes, it's not a great price. and if you are looking to re-flip it as a lot, you will be selling to other flippers, so you will unlikely do better than $40-$50 as a lot. but if you are a collector/flipper I see you being able to recoup your money and keep 4-7 of the books. that's not so bad. if they are going into your collection i doubt you could pick these up individually for $43 total cost unless you made it your obsession.

I feel the exact same way about those Spinner Racks people find at flea markets. A batch of books like that would look great displayed in one of those. :cloud9:

Now THOSE are very pricey..

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=alias+1+9.8&_sop=13&_sac=1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=63&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xdisplay+rack.TRS0&_nkw=display+rack&_sacat=63

the one that sold for $295 is the same type, i am pretty sure, as the ones I sold here for $50 a pop. but i was a nice guy and not greedy back then (smaller mortgage, only one kid), and both buyers had to pick them up.

Ownership or inventory.

Exactly. We can't really answer the question until we know what the OP's intent was: if he bought to re-sell for a profit, then he likely paid too much; if he bought to keep and enjoy, he likely did not.

I guess this sales thread finally answers the question the OP did not.