• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hating number ones???

5 posts in this topic

Who really likes these?

What is going on? Why are companies putting out first issue after first issue? Companies look at the numbers and they might show sales but what else do they show? The past few number ones I read don't begin a story as much as continue eight months after the ending of the Secret Wars, especially since the series didn't end yet.

I recently picked up a Marvel Super Heroes issue 23. This .25 cent comic book has three stories in it. Wouldn't it be nice if Marvel would continue this? Continue with their $1 books months or years after it was originally released. This comic book was cheap compared to the money it would have cost me to buy the originals.

Marvel has forgotten the collector. They continue with multiple covers, but the inside stays the same. This won't change for a long time and might very well get worse. If it does, I think I'll continue looking for some good deals here and there. I'll start at the New Jersey Expo in Edison, maybe I'll find a book or two that's worth having.

Thanks for reading

Tnerb

17061.jpeg

See more journals by Tnerb

Marvel has always said they will stop with the variant covers when people stop buying them. Like anything else including walking dead people get hooked and just buy buy buy. I got sucked into that whole part of it a lot of it has to do with J. Scott Campbell covers, love his art and i have to have them. But i completely agree with you as far as how their stories go. But if most people are collecting because of covers, and these companies know that why would they want to go through the effort of putting out good stories like they were doing in the 60's-early 2000's?

Heck, Marvel should just re-launch all their titles every calendar year. January brings yet another round of #1s, complete with 126 variant covers for each issue. It's pathetic what they've done to not only their product, but their characters. But, people buy, and money talks. So unfortunately those of us who miss the days of well written storylines are left to complain on the CGC message boards because the CEOs certainly don't care what we think.

Marvel isn't the only one. I was an avid GI Joe collector since the beginning. IDW ended that. I think the new GI Joe and the Transformers #1 had 14 or more different covers. On many the artwork wasn't even that good. Then throw in couple of scribbled sketch covers that a kid could do and that was it for me!

It's been months since I've purchased any new books. I have no idea what Marvel is doing which makes me sad. I will start collecting modern books again when they restore my beloved Captain America to his former super soldier glory. Until then, it's bronze age and silver age back issues for me!