• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

At a con

7 posts in this topic

I love these things

I spent a few hours at the New Jersey Expo Center looking through comic books. I bought three books to turn over to CGC, but never did. My wife and I started to collect Funko Pops and I spent a bit on them, not to mention my wife wanted a mystery box. Please don't ask. I did find a Journey into Mystery that might get a .5 that I would like to turn in. As I was heading home I decided to send in ten books. All of which will be for low grades.

I have three copies of Crazy I would like to turn over and seven other books to go with it, but adding the pre-modern age books add up and I have a birthday party gift I need to buy and she doesn't take comic books.

I have to stop thinking about getting the best grade. I can grade every book in my collection and be happy with what I grade it. After hating graded comic books initially, my views changed because of the community. I like sharing what I have whether it's a copy of X-Men 6 in a .5 or an iron man 55 in a .5. I have the book and isn't that what it is about, having the comic?

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

17063.jpeg

See more journals by Tnerb

I find that I have this bad habit of getting into the success angle of a hobby so much that I tend to price myself out of the hobby entirely. I find that I can't afford to participate at the level I think that I need to. Not terribly satisfying.

To combat this in comics, I will only describe my collection as humble or modest and will talk about the big players as they are a different type of human being. :grin:

don't know why people do contests with their collections or why it matters to others. everyone owns books other would like to have.......i've seen people with books i wish i had (could prob buy if i was willing to spend the money), but i also know i have books that others would love to have as well

don't worry about how good someone elses collection is. remember no book is ever out of your reach, it just matters what your willing to do to get it.......if i wanted say batman 1 mid grade i would have to take a lone against my house but i could get the book if i was willing to go that step

sorry i had to say something after reading rodans and drinking/bar hopping lastnight with 2 cousins who sat there haveing a contest about who's job is better, they tried to drag me in, basicly figured out i didn't make the most per hr between us (which suprised 1 of them considering how i get paied) but on net worth they couldn't hold a candel to me (they didn't drag me into that one since it wasn't a contest they could win)........side note never go drinking with family who's willing to basicly yell out in a bar about money you have, while trying to use that as an excuse to badger you into paying for things you really don't care about

Tnerb I can really appreciate how you don't mind getting lower books graded! its a hobby and its fun to get comics slabbed! sure it might not be prudent but I do it too and I like it a lot ! I am working on some lower CGC graded obscure registry sets and its so fun to get them back from CGC! Sure $25 might be a lot to spend grading on a $15 comic but in moderation its FUN! , but hey I spend $50 to golf three times a week too and have nothing to show for it except anguish lol!

And comic-cons are so fun too !!! besides the comics I met Jimmy JJ Walker last year at a con !!

I too went to the NJ Expo and spent a few hours browsing, hoping to find an oldie that would peek my buying interest and I found one.

Star Wars # 1 - 1977.

I might have slightly over-paid and after examining others for sale, my purchase was in better condition than some of the others and for less cost.

This is our hobby and we slab what we like to preserve, whatever is your preference.

And for whatever memory that book is tied to.

Tnerd,

I was at the NJ expo center too! I had a blast! It was nice to go to a convention that was about comics, not announcements and hype.

Speaking about collecting.... Your right, and you have the right mind set. If a .5 gives you joy so be it. Never forget its your collection. There is a reason we keep the comics we have, which should be...they give us joy, no other reason. If you keep a comic because you think it will be worth something, then thats an investment, not a hobby. We shouldn't confuse the two. Dont get me wrong, its ok to have those you may feel you can sell for a profit, but the ones you will never sell...those are your true collection.

I have two favorite slabs, one is a Solar at 9.2 which I purchased in a cgc lot on ebay. It was part of a package deal. I was planning on selling it as soon i recieved it, but it grow on me. Its great because i like to look at all the little imperfections & know why its a 9.2. Its also great to show my family & friends why its not a 9.8. The other is XO Manowar ( my favorite character) #46, which I bought at a convention for one dollar, submitted, and received a 9.8. I like to think...'i rescued it from the dollar bin'. Note: i didnt state my 10.0 as my favorite.

Happy collecting.