• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Handicap the past auction results

42 posts in this topic

Uh-oh...more bad news.

MR. A splash sold in November 2009 for $38,837.50:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/steve-ditko-comic-crusader-4-mr-a-debaters-splash-page-original-art-1968-/a/7013-93166.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Would resell today for...who the hell knows? Who out there gives a mess about MR. A? Ditko or not, a totally inexplicable result the first time. Anyway, suffice it to say, it goes for a lot less now than $39K.

Big outlier. Worth $10k tops then. About the same now. (Unless somebody is on a specific mission and paying whatever it takes.)

Wow. Yeah resale would be questionable :eek:

ASM #328...sold in July 2012 for $657,250:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/todd-mcfarlane-the-amazing-spider-man-328-cover-original-art-marvel-1990-/a/7063-92030.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Would resell now for less than $100K. Unless you had McSpidey investors bidding it up to protect the market. And even then, I don't see it going past $150K.

I never rated this cover very highly, but I know others did even before the $657K mess-show. I could still see this one reselling in the $150-$200K range. Definitely 6-figures, though, in any case.

I agree, I think the previous sales price was so high that even if it got decimated it would still do ~150

What an awesome piece of history that one is :cloud9:

Is this the only know MC#1 page?

Also...i did send Pete Morisi some extra money once i was paid in full for the art.

Mike

Good on you Mike, especially in respect of the fact that he didn't know what he was selling at the time.

If he just sold it "cheap" I think there is no need moral or otherwise to pay him more, but when you sell a random page, and it turns out to be from Marvel 1, Oy. You've let him feel better about something he would otherwise regret his entire life.

How about TMNT 1 complete book and cover?

It was an ebay sale at $250,999 (congrats eric roberts!).

It sold in 2002.

Today? Maybe the cover alone worth that?

Leaving 40 pages IIRC, many of them amazing like the shredder splash?

I'm going to say 700k today? As I think you could average 10k/page for the interiors, no problem. (interior pages for lesser issues listed from kevin's site for 5k these days and mostly selling). (needless to say the shredder splash and other great pages would be aggressively pursued.

ROI wise not the best performance perhaps but IMO solely as a result of the buyer having way overpaid in 2002, but having bought quality - the value of the art for this book is going nowhere but up.

How about TMNT 1 complete book and cover?

It was an ebay sale at $250,999 (congrats eric roberts!).

It sold in 2002.

Today? Maybe the cover alone worth that?

Leaving 40 pages IIRC, many of them amazing like the shredder splash?

I'm going to say 700k today? As I think you could average 10k/page for the interiors, no problem. (interior pages for lesser issues listed from kevin's site for 5k these days and mostly selling). (needless to say the shredder splash and other great pages would be aggressively pursued.

ROI wise not the best performance perhaps but IMO solely as a result of the buyer having way overpaid in 2002, but having bought quality - the value of the art for this book is going nowhere but up.

It wasn't 2002 - it was 2007.

I thought 250K was a steal for TMNT #1 back in 2007. I think the main problem was the $1mm ask on eBay, which may have kept serious buyers from perusing it more aggressively. Good on Eric for jumping on it after it had been up a while and Eastman was willing to come waaaaay down on the price.

I thought it was high at the time, but that it would soon be worth more, which is pretty much what happened. Back then tmnt 1 still wasn't what it is... I figured 150-200k when the sale happened and thought 250k was a good price to get but that the sale was a bad idea... you know what I mean?

I thought 250K was a steal for TMNT #1 back in 2007. I think the main problem was the $1mm ask on eBay, which may have kept serious buyers from perusing it more aggressively. Good on Eric for jumping on it after it had been up a while and Eastman was willing to come waaaaay down on the price.

where would you peg it now?

I like your estimate on the cover. Things are always a bit unpredictable in that price range, so it's anybody's guess. I mean I personally think that cover is more important (at least to pop culture as a whole) than the other heavy hitters in recent Heritage auctions, but that wouldn't necessarily bring out the same caliber of buyers.

I think $10K average for the interiors is light, but then again, 2007 me thought $5K average was a bargain, so I tend to be bullish on this particular book. I'd have to look through my copy to actually come up with a guess on average though.

The TMNT #1 art is, IIRC, small (I saw it in person a while back and my impression is that it was smaller than 11X17). Makes no difference to me, and I don't think it materially impacts value, so just mentioning it for those who care.

This is yet another case, though, where the seller aimed too high and turned off potential buyers...creating a situation where the art then got stigmatized and became, instead, a buying opportunity for the right collector. If the TMNT art had been auctioned from the get-go, no reserve, I'll bet it would have done at least as well as $250K. The Bats Vs. Supes DKR page at Heritage a while back is another example we've talked about here, too.

X-MEN #113 cover sold in May 2005 for $34,500:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-byrne-and-bob-layton-x-men-113-cover-original-art-marvel-1978-face-front-true-believers-and-feast-your-eyes-on/a/816-2236.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

That must have just been an insane amount at that time. And yet, this would still be a winner for the owner if he had held onto it. Saw it at SDCC a couple of years ago with a much higher price tag ($120K?).

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-byrne-and-bob-layton-x-men-113-cover-original-art-marvel-1978-face-front-true-believers-and-feast-your-eyes-on/a/816-2236.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

That must have just been an insane amount for at that time. And yet, this would still be a winner for the owner if he had held onto it. Saw it at SDCC a couple of years ago with a much higher price tag ($120K?).

Didn't a cool action page from that arc sell for about $30k recently?

I think those franky plates will be poor investments long term. All image, no nostalgia spells trouble to me

That must have just been an insane amount at that time. And yet, this would still be a winner for the owner if he had held onto it. Saw it at SDCC a couple of years ago with a much higher price tag ($120K?).

It was $150K two or three years ago in San Diego; I vaguely recall it being stickered even higher at some point after that, but don't hold me to that. That cover has Layton inks, which is not optimal. I was talking about these low and even mid-tier Byrne XM covers with a friend the other day and our question was that sellers can ask $150-$250K for them, but are there actually buyers there? Color me/us skeptical - I think these things have a very wide bid-ask spread on them.