• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CCS Pressing & Dry Cleaning

71 posts in this topic

When a book is pressed properly, is it fairly easy to spot that it has been pressed?

Like if you had never seen the book before it was pressed, is it typically apparent that the book had been pressed, compared to one that hadn't?

When a book is pressed properly, is it fairly easy to spot that it has been pressed?

Like if you had never seen the book before it was pressed, is it typically apparent that the book had been pressed, compared to one that hadn't?

You should see no indication that a book was pressed. Improperly pressed books have certain characteristics to look for, but a book that is properly worked on will not have any signs of the work done to it.

Thanks!

I have a few books I want to get pressed (and possibly dry-cleaned) and graded. I was referred to one of the above links that does pressing and am hoping that they are reliable. Don't know if they're a boardie or not (hope so).

Thanks!

I have a few books I want to get pressed (and possibly dry-cleaned) and graded. I was referred to one of the above links that does pressing and am hoping that they are reliable. Don't know if they're a boardie or not (hope so).

The guy directly above you JoeyPost is one of them CFP. Its who many (including myself) use.

You should see no indication that a book was pressed. Improperly pressed books have certain characteristics to look for, but a book that is properly worked on will not have any signs of the work done to it.

+1

If it's properly pressed will it have tendencies to have some issues of reverting back over time?

Minimally. i.e. a book has a really deep crease near one of the staples. The crease is pressed flat, but a weak spot now exists where the deep crease was. If you store the book properly the odds of the crease reverting is almost non existent.

If you decided to read the book or send it in to be graded the book now has to be handled: pages counted, the cover opened beyond what we might to check for resto, etc. Once stress is placed onto that area where the original crease was the possibility of it "reverting" exists. The fibers were damaged by the original defect and will be a weak spot.

Other factors play into the chances of a specific defect reverting. They are: how long the defect has been present, the skill of the person working on the book, cover stock, where the defect is on the book, where it is stored, etc.

Mixed results. I'd say I've been disappointed more often than not.

To be honest, I haven't seen better results from using other professionals.

It's important to realize that pressing isn't the miracle treatment that many people think it is. Bottom line? Your results may vary.

My suspicion is that many of the so-called pressing bumps that people have touted have more to do with a book being strictly graded the first time & liberally graded the second time.

Many books have experienced cover shrinkage as a result of pressing, btw:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7211634&fpart=1

It depends entirely on the book.

The vast majority of books, no, you generally cannot tell for the most part.

People who say that EVERY book done by the best pressers cannot be identified as pressed don't quite know what they're talking about. Even the most professional, experienced, and talented pressers in the business cannot make every book look like it has not been pressed. Every single book is unique, and there are things to look for.

The issue isn't that you can't tell if a book has been pressed...the issue is that you cannot tell with 100% accuracy if a book has been pressed. And yes, most books, when done properly, you cannot tell at all.

And that's the difference between the best and the rest: if you can't tell for sure if the pressed book has or has not been pressed, that's (generally) the sign of a good press job.

Mixed results. I'd say I've been disappointed more often than not.

To be honest, I haven't seen better results from using other professionals.

It's important to realize that pressing isn't the miracle treatment that many people think it is. Bottom line? Your results may vary.

My suspicion is that many of the so-called pressing bumps that people have touted have more to do with a book being strictly grade the first time & liberally graded the second time.

That is certainly true for some, but how do you explain bumps from grades like 8.0 to 9.4? Or 8.5 to 9.6? Or 7.0 to 8.5?

Many books have experienced cover shrinkage as a result of pressing, btw:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7211634&fpart=1

"Cover shrinkage due to pressing" is not the issue that it has been made out to be. There's quite a lot of misinformation about that floating around.

I had one experience with CCS and it was a bad one.

I agree that results may vary and I do use a third party presser, but I have no desire to use CCS anymore.

I purchased a Showcase 34 (First Atom) that was graded CGC 5.0. I noticed some defects that could be pressed out and decided to send it to CCS for a possible bump up.

The book returned to me as CGC 3.5. After closer examination, I noticed that CCS split the bottom spine about 2-3 inches. I can understand how a press would do this especially if the pages were brittle (I couldn't tell because it was submitted to them slabbed).

What bothers me about CCS is that a professional should have knowledge enough to know if a press would further damage a book (ie. notice brittle pages). I could have been informed if I wanted to proceed, but I wasn't. They could have informed me after the damage was done, but they didn't.

I have my books pressed by Hero Restoration and there was an occasion where Mike called me to give me his opinion on a book. (He's also called me to inform me one or two books couldn't be pressed). Instead of just pressing them because I "ordered," it, he showed me that he cares about the comics and not just the sale.

Sometimes you can't tell if a wrap is going to split or not.

There's always going to be some inherent risk and people need to accept that rather than always blame the individual doing the pressing.

There's always going to be some inherent risk and people need to accept that rather than always blame the individual doing the pressing.

Of course there are risks and I accept that. I was just trying to say that it would have been nice to have been contacted before or after the damage. That is my experience with another presser and that's why I choose not to do business with CCS .

Of course there are risks and I accept that. I was just trying to say that it would have been nice to have been contacted before or after the damage. That is my experience with another presser and that's why I choose not to do business with CCS .

Did you pay for the pre-screen service?

In fall fairness, they do offer a service where they examine the book prior to pressing. If they think damage would occur, they tell you.

If you don't go the pre-screen route, they go ahead and press it since that's the service you ordered.

Thanks!

The guy directly above you JoeyPost is one of them CFP. Its who many (including myself) use.

Okay, so I'm giving CFP a shot at a few of my books and will post the before/after results and grades whenever they get back. I've never done this before so it's is all new to me. :wishluck:

I hope at least a few of them can make it into the 9.6/9.8 realm. That would be nice. :cool:

I had one experience with CCS and it was a bad one.

I agree that results may vary and I do use a third party presser, but I have no desire to use CCS anymore.

I purchased a Showcase 34 (First Atom) that was graded CGC 5.0. I noticed some defects that could be pressed out and decided to send it to CCS for a possible bump up.

The book returned to me as CGC 3.5. After closer examination, I noticed that CCS split the bottom spine about 2-3 inches. I can understand how a press would do this especially if the pages were brittle (I couldn't tell because it was submitted to them slabbed).

What bothers me about CCS is that a professional should have knowledge enough to know if a press would further damage a book (ie. notice brittle pages). I could have been informed if I wanted to proceed, but I wasn't. They could have informed me after the damage was done, but they didn't.

I have my books pressed by Hero Restoration and there was an occasion where Mike called me to give me his opinion on a book. (He's also called me to inform me one or two books couldn't be pressed). Instead of just pressing them because I "ordered," it, he showed me that he cares about the comics and not just the sale.

Why don't you just not press the books in the first place? (shrug) I figure if they lasted 30,40,50+ years in good shape why subject them to pressing. I must admit that I am an anti presser, but I also realize that cat is outta the bag. The reality is your book was ruined by pressing,bet you wish you hadn't done it.