• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You slabbed what?

118 posts in this topic

Drek

avenlyne_zpsuwjfdc3p.jpg

Any reason why you would be slabbing these MA books, especially since you seem to have some quality books in your sig line? (thumbs u

Just wondering since the cost of slabbing plus the shipping charges must be multiples of what the underlying book itself is worth? Especially since they would also take up so much more storage space, let alone look so much duller and unappealing in the industrial slabs as compared to nice glossy mylar? ???

my rule is. don't buy or slab anything from the 90s with a hologram cover.

A better rule might be: don't buy or slab anything from the 90s with or without a hologram cover. lol

A friend needed some MA graded and a few went on a vacation along for the ride.Just some of the piles of worthless books from that age of boom and bust!

Was fortunate to be at the Boston Con this past summer when I ran into the artist who did this bad independent comic (Demon's Blood) from the B&W craze of the late Eighties. The guy was a real "A Whole" , was completely full of himself and didn't want to sign it but I twisted his arm and got him to do it at the CGC booth.

I was shocked the book graded this high as the cover on practically all the books were poorly printed on bad card stock and many of the issues cracked upon folding.

I twisted his other arm and got him to sign the other book (Zeroids) that got a 9.8. He did the cover art for that issue.

I'm sure there will not be many of these slabbed in the near future.....

160354.jpg.17c0e07a63dc4f6797ef29a4302bfbc2.jpg

160355.jpg.aababcab0343ab09cbb1c7d02a9cbe75.jpg

Was fortunate to be at the Boston Con this past summer when I ran into the artist who did this bad independent comic (Demon's Blood) from the B&W craze of the late Eighties. The guy was a real "A Whole" , was completely full of himself and didn't want to sign it but I twisted his arm and got him to do it at the CGC booth.

I was shocked the book graded this high as the cover on practically all the books were poorly printed on bad card stock and many of the issues cracked upon folding.

I twisted his other arm and got him to sign the other book (Zeroids) that got a 9.8. He did the cover art for that issue.

I'm sure there will not be many of these slabbed in the near future.....

I bought Demon's Blood #1 back in the day too...I remember that terrible cover. :headbang:

I bought Demon's Blood #1 back in the day too...I remember that terrible cover. :headbang:

(worship) I never thought I would actually come across someone who actually purchased it! :foryou:

Thanks for the support :devil:

Yes I bought some doozies back in the day (never slabbed any though!) Funny you brought it all back with the "B&W" craze comment. In my head it was the "independent" publisher craze but black and white is more accurate to the time. But, you're welcome for the support!

(worship) I never thought I would actually come across someone who actually purchased it! :foryou:

Yes I bought some doozies back in the day (never slabbed any though!) Funny you brought it all back with the "B&W" craze comment. In my head it was the "independent" publisher craze but black and white is more accurate to the time. But, you're welcome for the support!

That's because the grading companies were still more than a decade away when the B&W craze was taking place. No doubt we would have a ton of B&W slabs if they were in business then. :insane:

Actually, I guess a lot of collectors right now are basically slabbing what will turn into the equivalent of drek going forward. Well, at least it keeps the doors of the grading companies opened. ;)

I wonder how much longer this slabbing of new books hot off the press will continue once collectors see enough of the Rule of 5, whereby almost any book no matter how hot it explodes off the newsstand becomes worthless drek within 5 years or less. hm:tonofbricks:

Funny story; when we did the book, it just happened at the absolute wrong time. We had 4 major distributors with a few smaller ones ordering the book. That's when many of the distributors went belly up. Diamond and another distributor paid but the other two major ones, we didn't get a dime from as they went bankrupt. The print run order was just over 7000 and we were out a good chunk of change out of our own pocket. Live and learn....