• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One more left.

5 posts in this topic

108 out of 109 isn't bad

The only New Mutants issue that I need in a 9.8 is issue #58. There is one out there, but it is already safely in some one else's collection. But then again, the one issue they need in a 9.8, I have the only one, so.... Touché!

I have at least ten raw copies of #58, two of which are easily a 9.6, with a press. The question however, is could it be a 9.8? The single 9.8 out there will not be cracked for a signature. The reason why? Because it WON'T retain.

So the copies I have, I could either get them pressed and send in enough of them to go through a screening, but then there is the fear of cracking for a signature. Ok, maybe fear is the wrong word. Addiction is more like it. My original copy, which I thought originally would get a 9.8, received a 9.6. A grade I was still happy with.

Next year I will find out. I will have to try. I do want to complete the series in a 9.8 or better. And there is no way I am going to do that just sitting on them. Of course I will have to send in a lot more for the pre-screen, but wouldn't it be a kicker if I received more than one in a 9.8. Then I could crack one for a signature and be happy when it came back a 9.6 SS...wait...what?

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

17075.jpeg

See more journals by Tnerb

Any thoughts on why this one is so tough in 9.8? Is it the Mutant Registration Act insert or the solid deep blue background? Is there actually some nefarious property of that particular ink that weakens the paper stock? You don't see a lot of covers that color out there.

By the way, I'd agree that the one NM58 in 9.8 probably wouldn't retain its grade. Does that mean there are no true mint copies of this book...?