• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 55 CGC 9.6

15 posts in this topic

I didn't mention it 'cause I'm bidding on it and didn't want anymore competition.

tongue.gif

The fact that there is a 9.9 is just incredible - much more impressive than the Spidey #19 in 9.9

I actually think this book should be worth close to what an FF #49 is worth.

Incredible Surfer vs. Thing cover and great full Surfer story. If you think of FFs 48-50 as Surfer #1-2-3, this would be surfer #4 - and there is no reason it should only guide for 1/3 of what #3 does.

WOW.......Fantastic grade on that book. I have it in low/mid grade as a reading copy......and it's got a fantastic dark blue cover. I can't believe one survived in a 9.6.......and I especially can't believe that one survived in a 9.9 grade. shocked.gif

But MAN..........what a pissy little auction scan for such a high dollar book. The fool used eBay's picture service and then didn't supersize it. I know people can always email for a better picture......but am I the only one that thinks a better picture would bring in a lot more money? confused.gif

I keep thinking about that silver age high grade Thor book that was auctioned off for charity and had one of those lousy tiny pictures attached to it.

bug,

that seller is keith contarino, a well respected dealer and ex overstreet advisor, lets put it this way, if i won the auction, he'd send the book to me on approval before i paid for it. but that's just me, he'd probably do it for zillatoy too. tongue.gif

p-diddly-hoo

The fact that there is a 9.9 is just incredible - much more impressive than the Spidey #19 in 9.9

Why is it more impresive than the ASM #19 in 9.9?

The FF is a post 1965 book and therefore much more likely to have been hoarded by collectors than ASM #19.

Please don't give me the usual 'because it has a dark cover' line. tongue.gif

Supa.....I'm not saying he's not an honest seller.......but I could care less if the Pope himself was auctioning the book. I'm just wondering why people put these little tiny scans in their auctions for these big dollar books.

A bigger scan would most likely get more interest generated in the book and would probably net more money for him. I doubt that he has too much money and would prefer to make as little on this book as possible.

And it costs what?.....an extra buck to supersize the picture with eBay. tongue.gif

That is one heck of a grade.......but you know how picky collectors are. Want nice registration, staple placement, etc.?

Seems easiest to just post a large scan and not have to be bothered with all the email questions that this book will probably generate. But.....who knows.....maybe he likes emails. tongue.gif

By the way......is anyone else having troubles with the frigging forum? If it's not down completely, then it's running so damn slow that I have to wear depends diapers just to make more than 1 post in a row mad.gif...........(leave that one alone Khaos). tongue.gif

It's cooler because I'm bidding on it. tongue.gif

Spidey #19 only misses being a 1965 book by a month, so it's not that big a difference. But yes, that dark cover shows the wear a lot more than the white cover of the Spidey #19 and is just tons cooler looking.

Like I said, this book really should be worth in the neighborhood of FF #49 or #50 - certainly not only 1/3 as much as those two.

It's just a great book.

I wish Keith had bigger photos too, but I don't even think he has a flat-bed scanner,

so he takes photos and does the best he can. Does look like the label says off-white pages though.

"i think the grade also speaks for itself[/]"

See, that's where you lose me. I think the book speaks for itself, not what's typed on the slab. If CGC can put the wrong page whiteness or make other errors (we've all seen them) then they can put a 9.6 where a 9.2 should be. Not to mention that their grade can change a full 1.0 from day to day. CGC is just wrong to much of the time to implicitly trust them.

But what the hell do I know? Some people collect comics, others collect slabs and some collect slabed comics. All three are very different.

But yes, that dark cover shows the wear a lot more than the white cover of the Spidey #19 and is just tons cooler looking.

Its true that Spidey #19 is one of Ditko's worst ASM covers. blush.gif