• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this impacting comics?

27 posts in this topic

Great art and weak stories-just like movies with incredible effects and weak stories-good storytellers are so rare. Well they're not actually but the ones they get to write are middle of the road try to please everyone pablum shovelers. It's like they don't study their craft. There are all these books on -script writing but you see the same mistakes all the time-passive protagonist, undefined or changing goal, one dimensional antagonist, why don't they READ those books on screen writing???? I do.

If you read a SA Marvel it actually takes a while to read. Lots of word balloons. Lots going on. Now you can read a book in like 3 minutes because all the writers are trying to be so clever and brief with words. Or the books with no words at all like that Hawkeye issue that you can 'read' in 60 seconds. I hate modern comics man.

Too bad they were all written by a hack. Imagine if there were no balloons on that Kirby art.

I'd rather read an entertaining hack than a clever genius any day.

I'll take Doc Savage over Gravity's Rainbow

If you read a SA Marvel it actually takes a while to read. Lots of word balloons. Lots going on. Now you can read a book in like 3 minutes because all the writers are trying to be so clever and brief with words. Or the books with no words at all like that Hawkeye issue that you can 'read' in 60 seconds. I hate modern comics man.

I'm mostly a DC guy but this resonates with what I feel is happening with modern comics.

I'll go further to say I think a lot of the art is overworked and not so well done. The term polishing a turd comes to mind.

I'm mostly a DC guy but this resonates with what I feel is happening with modern comics.

I'll go further to say I think a lot of the art is overworked and not so well done. The term polishing a turd comes to mind.

I think some of us date ourselves when we bring up decompressed comics. They have been doing this for almost 15 years now! And I agree completely with both of you.

It didn't really strike me how much things have changed until I started reading Marvel's Star Wars comics. Each Dark Horse comic was much meatier than the Marvel comics. Not that I think one is worse than the other. It is definitely different though. I do feel like I was getting more bang for my buck with the Dark Horse books, but the Marvel books are gorgeous to look at. I wish we could have both worlds!