• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Personal Comic Book/Original Art Acquisitions of 2015!

226 posts in this topic

My top 3 books this year: Flash Comics # 86 (1st Black Canary), Rocket Man Comics Vol. 2, # 1 & Human Torch # 35. The year's not over yet and I purchase two of these books in the past 10 days. All three are keepers and have really improved my collection.

159302.jpg.e5c0ac570581b89de5106b606ca96fdc.jpg

159303.jpg.5df304cce15d989cccff39df4bc4458a.jpg

159304.jpg.6eb8f126cbec0318f1968f511750ff66.jpg

These will not impress anyone else, but the heart wants what it wants.

IMG_5083_zpsikajdnro.jpg

DH%205%202nd_zpsaot9vrzd.jpg

DkHwk_50_GS_zps74mkqeie.jpg

Im sure if we all chip in, we could get you a better looking darkhawk 5. Should only take a few people donating 15 cents or a hundred of us donating a penny or if a store owner board member is feeling nice, he could dig one out the dollar box and we could help pay for shipping. showing that as a top 3 of the year makes me sad. You should have a nice copy.

I SHOULD have a nice copy. I'd actually be happy to OVERPAY anyone for the DH 5 2nd print in NM+ if they've got one.

I picked up a lot of covers this year for someone trying to get out the hobby including a handful of DK3 covers but none of them come close to this for me. My second Maxx cover takes up all three of my top spots.

image_zpsdsb00ihs.jpeg

:o

I'm not even a Maxx fan, but that is friggin gorgeous (worship)

My 3 favorite purchases all happened to be Marvel. I picked up all three towards the latter half of the year strangely.

It took some time and selling to afford the Hulk #181, but it was so worth it.

The other two were found in the wild at prices too good to pass up!

W2yOW2Ll.png

xwJIYKPl.jpg

dvjYnfzl.png

This year was easily my most successful for collecting what I love - Captain America! A huge thank you to a boardie for allowing me to obtain one of my grails: Captain America's Weird Tales #74

IMO if you're collecting Captain America Comics, only #1 or #3 is better...

Cap%2074.jpg

From another boardie, a book I was looking for but waiting for the right copy:

Strange Tales #114

I would have been fine with an 8.0 ow/w blue label, but a signed copy by not only Stan Lee but Joe Simon as well?! Had to have it...

StrangeTales114CGC8SS.jpg

My third pick is a no-brainer and the first book I've won from comiclink:

A lot of artists have drawn Cap over the years, but if I had to pick one iconic pose for the first Avenger, it would be that of Jim Steranko's Captain America #111...

Cap111HIGHEST.jpg

For all the books I bought, I had to pass on so many more due to funds. I went "all-in" on a 2.0 blue label All Select Comics #1 but still got outbid :tonofbricks: and not hitting the "confirm bid" button fast enough on a 3.0 blue All Select #2 hurt. :facepalm:

All in all I can't complain about this year though! (:

2015 has been a pretty slow year for my collection, mainly because I'm getting awfully picky. I have literally only 3 books to show this year for my main focus, silver age Doctor Strange issues.

First, a pair of Ditko era Strange Tales, both from the marvel art review collection, and both just exceptionally fresh and bright (My scanner dosen't really do them justice).

Strange Tales 121 CGC 9.4 OWW

ST121CGC94.jpg

Strange Tales 129 CGC 9.4 W

ST129CGC94.jpg

More recently I picked up a nice copy of one of my favorite covers from the Doctor Strange run

Doctor Strange 172 CGC 9.4 W

DS172CGC94_1_sm.jpg

and that's it for 2015!

Best non comic purchase:

jefimok-1_zpsdcso4at3.jpg

:o

I know nothing about numismatics,what is this?

That is a jefimok. Before Peter the Great, Russia did not mint their own large coins. They would just counterstamp foreign taler size coins with the horseman and date you see here for use in Russia. It's a fairly rare coin that I've been looking for for a while :)