• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM X-Men #1

12 posts in this topic

My apologies for the poor image quality, the book is not yet with me but should hopefully arrive tomorrow :)

It's easily my new record for spending on a single comic blowing the NM #98 I bought last month clean out the water! A little apprehensive the book will arrive safely, hoping and praying it does. I will take scans when / if it does and update this thread.

For now though, what kind of grade does it look to be in?

Also, I am considering sending it in for official grading along with a few others (for the first time) how does Stan's sig affect that? I'm quite sure it's genuine, the guy I bought from attended London super con in 2012 and had a VIP meet with the man himself. Love the placement of it too, though honestly I would have preferred it without sig or if it were on the first page perhaps.

Thanks for looking.

1_zpsmphgsy2v.jpg

2_zpsuwmtxcrl.jpg

3_zpsk86k0gmv.jpg

Thanks for your opinion jimbo. I had thought it no better than a 3.5 VG-. For the price I paid and going off guide prices on comicspriceguide.com anything above a 1.0 is a win!

I must say, I feel like a little kid on Christmas eve waiting for it! Good news is, the chap I bought from assures me it has shipped today via special delivery and will be delivered tomorrow before 1pm.

What a perfect way to round of my first year collecting comics!! I never thought this book'd be within my reach. At least not in my first year!

Edit: Those comics in your sig line are unbelievable too! I'd kill to own any one of them! hahaha

Thanks for your opinion jimbo. I had thought it no better than a 3.5 VG-. For the price I paid and going off guide prices on comicspriceguide.com anything above a 1.0 is a win!

I must say, I feel like a little kid on Christmas eve waiting for it! Good news is, the chap I bought from assures me it has shipped today via special delivery and will be delivered tomorrow before 1pm.

It may well have more defects than what I could see in the low-res pictures, but I think you can safely assume it's better than a 1.0. A 2.0 would be worth around $1K, so if you paid a grand or less for it, I'd say you did well, even if your estimate of 3.5 is correct.

that's a pence (UK) copy you have there.

in the same box that says "Marvel Comics Group" it also says "9d"

If this were a US copy, it would say 12 cents.

That might be partly why the price was so good.

still a nice book

I was thinking 5.0 as well based on the low quality pics

Thanks chaps, this is encouraging. Price I paid was £500 ($755.58). Partly why I am worried it will even arrive!

Believe it or not this is the third time I have tried buying an X-Men #1 in as many months, the first was an outright scam which I foolishly fell for, the second was not really an attempt to buy but rather me stopping the same guy ripping somebody else off after he made another account and tried pulling the same stunt.

And then this which I came across last night, it was set to be auctioned with a start price of £750. Me, being the cheeky chap I am offers the seller £500 to be paid immediately and to my great surprise it was agreed :)

Paid up and shipped this morn to be hopefully arriving tomorrow afternoon! Best deal I've ever made by a long chalk.

Just hope it comes good now.

I'll update with scans and photo's tomorrow.

Cheers, Dan

IMG_0001_zps3ilnnyfb.jpg

IMG_0002_zpsly9aj3vf.jpg

It would appear the stars have aligned! So awesome!

So how does it grade? I think it's better than I originally thought! I also think it will benefit greatly from a clean and press. I'll be sending it in to CGC in the new year. What a great way to end my first year collecting comics :)