• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Astounding Original Owner FF's in Feb 2016 Heritage Auction!!!

47 posts in this topic

Yea that 49 is going to go for crazy cash. Wonderful book!

Are you sure about that?

After all, didn't the long awaited arrival of a 9.8 copy of ASM 14 in the most recent HA auction end up with a far lower result than what almost everybody was saying that the book would go for?

I believe the thinking was that some of the other HG Marvel SA books from that same auction also ended up below previous auction results, including possibly some of the books from the Ultimate FF Collection. hm(shrug)

With the exception of the FF12 (which has tanked in 9.4 since he bought it), the bigger books I covered did pretty well for the consignor:

Fantastic Four #45 Twin Cities pedigree CGC 9.6

Sold for $26,290

Bought in 2011 for $4,500

Fantastic Four #2 CGC NM 9.4

Sold for $35,850

Bought in 2006 for $27,000

Fantastic Four #4 (Marvel, 1962) CGC NM 9.4

Sold for $29,875

Bought in 2007 for $16,730

Fantastic Four #12 CGC NM 9.4

Sold for $18,555

Bought in 2009 for $35,000

Fantastic Four #55 Boston pedigree CGC 9.9

Sold for $31,070

Bought in 2008 for $16,000

I don't know what he bought his #1 for, but his wasn't the one sold at ComicConnect in 2012 for the same money. If he bought it in the same 2006-2009 era he might have doubled his money.

Yuck. Just me I guess but doubling your money before transaction costs after 8 years on small somewhat risky outlays sucks 2c

remember the words of the immortal Bob Storms: 'it's the guy who slabbed the book not the guy who bought the slab that made the real money'

if someone offered me 2x what i paid for these plastic tombs, i'd start packing the books immediately

Yuck. Just me I guess but doubling your money before transaction costs after 8 years on small somewhat risky outlays sucks 2c

Yeah, I hate doubling my money. That beats the S&P 500 over the same period (but not, it should be noted, over 6-7 years where stocks were bloodied)

Not that I'm not arguing for comics as an investment here. I'm just refuting, with numbers, the idea that the FF collection that sold at Heritage was somehow a disaster. I'm sure there were some breathless pronouncements here about those FFs, but there always are. I mean, the ebay Action #1 was supposed to sell for $10,000,000 in a bidding war between two Russian Oligarchs, Jack Ma and Jerry Seinfeld. No rational person thought that result was bad.

The Journey in Mystery 83? Yeah, that was a disaster (As much for CBCS as for the market). Yes, Avengers books are way down from their hype-fueled highs. But I didn't look at the FF results and think- how awful.

Neither do I (think 'how awful'). And the fact is that slabs of mainstream marvels are, as far as collectibles go, very liquid. He could have cashed out at any time just by sending them to an auction house, and apart from the 3 month wait for his check, they are sold.

But I do think 'yuck.' I'd hope to do better than that even though it means taking on something riskier and less liquid. Maybe that's why I keep my comic purchases in general, but particularly of "commodity" books like SA marvels relatively low. I prefer to spend my play money on stuff I like just as much that has a little more upside.