• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the market cooling?

106 posts in this topic

Various market sectors in the hobby seem to heat up and cool independent of overall trends. Lately it seems to weigh heavily on the heat side, though there always individual books and runs one can point to as running against the trend. Longer term I suppose one can rely more on the big keys, classic covers and major heroes to sustain or grow, but from the buyer's side, I'm perfectly happy that there is still stuff I can pick up for about the same price it ran 15-20 years ago.

The outlook for the global economy next year is darkening, with a U.S. recession and China becoming the first major emerging market to slash interest rates to zero both potential scenarios, according to Citi.

As the U.S. economy enters its seventh year of expansion following the 2008-09 crisis, the probability of recession will reach 65 percent, Citi's rates strategists wrote in their 2016 outlook published late on Tuesday. A rapid flattening of the bond yield curve towards inversion would be an key warning sign.

"The cumulative probability of U.S. recession reaches 65 percent next year," Citi's rates strategists wrote in their 2016 outlook published late on Tuesday. "Curve inversion will likely come more quickly than the consensus thinks."

http://in.reuters.com/article/us-global-economy-idINKBN0TL18F20151202

Looks like a bad time to pay a premium on anything collectable.

Sit on your cash and wait.

Your cash could get worthless sitting in a bank. A thousand in 2008 is worth less now. With the interest rates banks have given out you will find buying a few key comics would have been a better bet. I am not saying invest all your money into comics ,but it's good to diversify.

In the mean time collectibles have gone through the roof.

And anything going up at a ridiculous pace will never cool down.

I'm in, can I buy that at negative amortization?

lol

There have always been corrections and plateaus but people having been wondering when comics were going to crash since they started selling for over cover price.

Time will tell.

I think the only way there will be a panic in the overall comic market is if the US market implodes and people start losing their jobs and needing to sell huge collections quickly. Comics seem to do well in a bad economy so I don't see the implosion anytime soon. The number of Cons nation wide seems to be providing the means for a whole new generation to pick up a comic book (after being dragged there by their Dads). I do see a severe implosion happening fairly soon in terms of these variants. I was in a LCS this weekend and the store had boxes and boxes of variants being blown out for a buck.

That's true too. I am seeing seeking sinking prices on variants and hard to find books in a certain grade like ASM 301.

I think the only way there will be a panic in the overall comic market is if the US market implodes and people start losing their jobs and needing to sell huge collections quickly. Comics seem to do well in a bad economy so I don't see the implosion anytime soon. The number of Cons nation wide seems to be providing the means for a whole new generation to pick up a comic book (after being dragged there by their Dads). I do see a severe implosion happening fairly soon in terms of these variants. I was in a LCS this weekend and the store had boxes and boxes of variants being blown out for a buck.

That's true too. I am seeing seeking sinking prices on variants and hard to find books in a certain grade like ASM 301.

If you want to catch falling knives, you should visit eBay. Plenty of variants whose prices have dropped from the time they were offered originally. I doubt ASM 301 is dropping though.

If you want to catch falling knives, you should visit eBay. Plenty of variants whose prices have dropped from the time they were offered originally. I doubt ASM 301 is dropping though.

It's "down" to $850.