• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the market cooling?

106 posts in this topic

Lately I have been seeing better than avg prices for copper and bronze keys. I've noticed prices for NM 98, BA12, Ms. Marvel, TT2 and others can bought at lower than their recent highs.

I suppose CLink and hard to find items are the exception.

Anyone else noticing a trend? Weakening economy? Are we past the Avengers, GOTG, and other movie hysteria?

World is ending....sell all comics at 25 cents on the dollar.

I can be reached via PM lol

Typically a slower time of the year for sales. People focusing on holiday.

Expect things to pick back up in Spring and into convention season. Not saying prices will continue to rise (or continue to fall for that matter) but should become slightly more stable.

Expect things to pick back up in Spring and into convention season. Not saying prices will continue to rise (or continue to fall for that matter) but should become slightly more stable.

I am paying 26¢ on the dollar.

Whenever I see greggy's posts in the "Just Back from CGC" thread, with multiple high grade copies of the same keys that you mentioned, I'm reminded of just how common these books are.

This was my initial thought, but of course, there are outliers to the supply/demand argument.

I think part of it is just the time of the year. Everyone is in Christmas shopping mode now & outside of people buying comics for their friend/loved one that loves comics (which is always a crapshoot to buy a comic for someone that's a big comic fan that they don't get the chance to see beforehand) or couples where they choose to buy their own gifts for their partner to give so that they absolutely get what they want, I think a lot of people might be holding off on discretionary comic spending until after Christmas & the January bills from Christmas are paid.

Not only that, but outside of the movie hype books that will rise/fall in the next few months, it's not like there's any impending big releases. Maybe once we see a Deadpool trailer on TV, that book & related books might spike back up. But I think you'll see a lot of people hold off on buying books until after Christmas.

I know that's what I'm doing.

Yes I do think the high grade market is seeing a definite cooling over the last 6 months. I blame the falling of the Canadian dollar since they seemed to be the ones buying up all the high grade books.

I am paying 26¢ on the dollar.

I want 15% off that $0.25 price

Yes I do think the high grade market is seeing a definite cooling over the last 6 months. I blame the falling of the Canadian dollar since they seemed to be the ones buying up all the high grade books.

THOSE DAMN CANOOKS!

:grin:

it's true - we can't buy as much as before

Multiple reasons.

1) strong US dollar removes many potential buyers who don't live in the US

2) there is always a slow down about a month before Christmas.

3) strong surge of books on the market after people grading popular movie books and putting them on the market

etc, etc, etc.

The market has been 'cooling' and 'getting hot' for 50 years now.

I have noticed a definite trend towards cooling, especially in issues that have been hyped up due to movie releases. Not just in the last month or two, but for the last 5-6 months.

Major keys still demand good prices, but the lesser keys seem to be on a downward trend, specifically bronze and copper issues.

The exchange is another challenge all together for Canadian buyers. I tend to buy my books now only if I have books I can sell to get some US dollars in my Paypal account. Fortunately for me, I have quite a few books I can draw upon that I have collected over the years.

It's also become very expensive to ship books to the UK and mainland Europe.

One reason I've curtailed my purchases.

Multiple reasons.

Well, sure, but the movie hype machine hasn't been around for 50 years.

No, but that's just a market force of which there are always plenty. Sure it's a big one but Batmania in 1989 was just as big as any other movie hype is today. Most new people in the hobby are now just too young to remember it.

Batmania in 1989 was insane.

Multiple reasons.

1) strong US dollar removes many potential buyers who don't live in the US

2) there is always a slow down about a month before Christmas.

3) strong surge of books on the market after people grading popular movie books and putting them on the market

etc, etc, etc.

I can personally attest to that. I would have never believed that any comic would sell for a million dollars many years ago. I said for years that prices were crazy then they would continue to go up and up. Is there a ceiling? Possibly, but I'm not seeing it yet.

The market is especially strong on hard to find GA. SA and BA is a lot easier to find thusly more leverage in pricing.

Comic books have continued to be a VERY strong market as opposed to most all other segments of the collectibles, antiques and art markets. One of the few markets where young people are still getting to.

Multiple reasons.

Well, sure, but the movie hype machine hasn't been around for 50 years.

No, but that's just a market force of which there are always plenty. Sure it's a big one but Batmania in 1989 was just as big as any other movie hype is today. Most new people in the hobby are now just too young to remember it.

Batmania in 1989 was insane.

Oh, I remember, but that was just one character. Nothing like today. And we didn't have the CGC census back then to show us just how plentiful these books are.

2200 copies of New Mutants #98 in CGC 9.8. Yikes!

Star Wars #1 should cool....its a common book.

Star Wars #42 is still cheap compared to when his solo movie hits and the masses bring that book to 1k in CGC 9.8.

NM #98 is very stable.

Bat 12 is +/- $100 bucks on HG copies. Book will be more staple after the new year and closer to the SS movie.