• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tarzan 2016 trailer HD

99 posts in this topic

Fun Tarzan fact--prior to the 1930s, it was considered immoral and distasteful for both men and women to show their breasts in public. Demonstrative of this is the 1929 film "Tarzan the Tiger" which featured Tarzan wearing a leopard-skin tunic as shown in the first picture below. The 1932 film "Tarzan the Ape Man" featured Tarzan shirtless as shown in the second picture below, and it was considered scandalous at the time. But men had begun to appear topless at beaches towards the late 1920s, so it wasn't entirely unheard of, but that movie spread the idea further than it ever had gone before. By the 1950s men appearing in public topless was considered normal.

tarzan07.jpg004849e88c5dbe4b29b5e7d11da194de.jpg

Alexander Skarsgård is 19th actor to portray Tarzan in the screen or television.

It has been a longest continued character through many generations since 1912 - longest than Superman and Batman.

What about Sherlock Holmes?

"It has been estimated that Sherlock Holmes is the most prolific screen character in the history of cinema. The first known film featuring Holmes is Sherlock Holmes Baffled, a one-reel film running less than a minute, made by the American Mutoscope and Biograph Company in 1900. This was followed by a 1905 Vitagraph film Adventures of Sherlock Holmes; or, Held for Ransom, featuring Maurice Costello as Holmes"

Looks like Robin Hood has been a very busy man

List of films and television series featuring Robin Hood

And Zorro as well

Zorro in TV and film

Films

The character has been adapted for over forty films. They include:

American films

The Mark of Zorro (1920), with Douglas Fairbanks

Don Q, Son of Zorro (1925), with Douglas Fairbanks

The Bold Caballero (1936), with Robert Livingston

Zorro's Fighting Legion (1939), with Reed Hadley

The Mark of Zorro (1940), with Tyrone Power

The Sign of Zorro (1958), with Guy Williams, portions of the first 13 Zorro TV series episodes edited into a feature film, released overseas in 1958 and domestically in 1960.

Zorro, the Avenger (1959), with Guy Williams, another theatrical compilation of several Zorro TV episodes, released overseas, and was not seen in the United States until it was eventually aired on the Disney Channel.[when?]

The Mark of Zorro (1974), a made for television movie with Frank Langella as Zorro that reuses the Alfred Newman theme from 1940's The Mark of Zorro.

Zorro, The Gay Blade (1981), a parody, with George Hamilton. Diego, Jr., breaks his leg shortly after launching his career as a new Zorro, and his gay twin brother Ramon, now calling himself Bunny Wigglesworth, volunteers to fill in while he recuperates.

The Mask of Zorro (1998), played against tradition, with Anthony Hopkins as an aged Don Diego de la Vega and Antonio Banderas as Alejandro Murrieta, a misfit outlaw/cowboy who is groomed to become the next Zorro.

The Legend of Zorro (2005), the sequel to 1998's The Mask of Zorro, again starring Antonio Banderas.

20th Century Fox is working on a reboot Zorro film called Zorro Reborn with Gael Garcia Bernal in the title role set in the future with a -script by Glen Gers, Lee Shipman, and Brian McGeevy. Sony also plans another film with a -script by Christopher Stetson Boal based on the novel by Isabel Allende as a less traditional swashbuckler and more of a Dark Knight style unveiling of the character with a new backstory, gritty realism and emotional core with swordplay, combined with the martial arts that came from Europe and created a deadly combination of action and lethal fighting systems that combined swords, daggers, grappling and bare knuckles.[8][9][10] Sony is also planning on working a Django Unchained and Zorro crossover movie.[11] Lantica Media and Sobini films are producing a Zorro film called Z with Jonas Cuaron to write and direct the film.[12] Bernal was once again courted to star as the masked hero.[13] Production is expected to begin in the fall.

Mexican films

La Gran Aventura Del Zorro (1976), Mexican Western with Rodolfo de Anda, the first Mexican actor to play the role; with Pedro Armendáriz Jr. as the villain and set in a very primitive San Francisco Bay Area.

A similar character was "The Black Wolf" set in Monterey, California in 1846.

El lobo negro (1981) Spain & Mexico Fernando Allende

Duelo a muerte/Revenge of the Black Wolf (1981) Spain Fernando Allende

European films

In addition to a variety of Zorro films, European producers also used a similar character called the Coyote.[14]

À la manière de Zorro / In the Way of Zorro (1926) Belgium William Elie

Il sogno di Zorro (1952) Italy Walter Chiari

La montaña sin ley (1953) Spain José Suárez (Suárez is the first Spanish actor to play the role)

Zorro alla corte di Spagna / Zorro at the Spanish Court (1962) Italy George Ardisson

La venganza del Zorro / Zorro the Avenger (1962) Spain Frank Latimore

L'ombra di Zorro / The Shadow of Zorro (1962) Italy, Spain & France Frank Latimore

Le tre spade di Zorro / The Three Swords of Zorro (1963) Spain & Italy Guy Stockwell

Zorro e i tre moschettieri / Zorro and the Three Musketeers (1963) Italy Gordon Scott

Zorro contro Maciste / Samson and the Slave Queen (1963) Italy & Spain Pierre Brice

Il segno di Zorro (it) / Duel at the Rio Grande (1963) Spain, Italy & France Sean Flynn

El Zorro cabalga otra vez / Behind the Mask of Zorro (1965) Italy & Spain Tony Russel

Zorro il ribelle / Zorro the Rebel (1966) Italy Howard Ross

El Zorro (1968) Italy & Spain George Ardisson

I nipoti di Zorro / The Nephews of Zorro (1968) Italy Dean Reed (comedy with Franco & Ciccio)

Zorro marchese di Navarra / Zorro, the Navarra Marquis (1969) Italy Nino Vingelli

Zorro alla corte d'Inghilterra / Zorro in the Court of England (1969) Italy Spiros Focás

El Zorro justiciero (1969) Italy & Spain Fabio Testi

La última aventura del Zorro (1970) Spain & Italy Carlos Quiney

El Zorro de Monterrey (1971) Spain & Italy Carlos Quiney

Zorro il cavaliere della vendetta / Zorro, Rider of Vengeance (1971) Spain & Italy Carlos Quiney

The Erotic Adventures of Zorro (1972) France, USA & West Germany Douglas Frey

Les aventures galantes de Zorro (1972) France & Belgium Jean-Michel Dhermay

Il figlio di Zorro / Son of Zorro (1973) Italy & Spain Alberto Dell'Acqua

Le meravigliose avventure di Zorro (1974) Italy

Il sogno di Zorro / Grandsons of Zorro (1975) Italy Franco Franchi

Zorro (1975) Italy & France Alain Delon

La marque de Zorro (1975) France Monica Swinn

Ah sì? E io lo dico a Zzzzorro! / Mark of Zorro (1976) Italy & Spain George Hilton

The Coyote of "El Coyote" was a creation of Spanish novelist José Mallorquí Figuerola writing as Carter Mulford beginning with a novel of the same name in 1943.

El coyote (1955) Spain & Mexico Act Odón Alonso

La justicia del Coyote / Judgement of Coyote (1956) Spain & Mexico Odón Alonso

Il segno del coyote / The Sign of the Coyote (1963) Italy & Spain Fernando Casanova

La vuelta de El Coyote / The Return of El Coyote (1998) Spain José Coronado

Film serials

Zorro Rides Again (1937), with John Carroll as a modern-day descendant, James Vega

Zorro's Fighting Legion (1939), with Reed Hadley as the original Zorro/Don Diego de la Vega

Zorro's Black Whip (1944), with Linda Stirling as an 1880s female descendent, The Black Whip

Son of Zorro (1947), with George Turner as a Civil War descendant, Jeff Stewart

Ghost of Zorro (1949), with Clayton Moore as Ken Mason, Zorro's grandson/"The Ghost of Zorro"

Television

Zorro, a Disney half-hour television series, running from 1957 to 1959, starring Guy Williams as Zorro. The two features listed above starring Guy Williams were episode compilations, and there were four one-hour follow-ups on the Walt Disney anthology television series in the 1960–1961 TV season.

The Mark of Zorro (1974), with Frank Langella, a made for television remake of the 1940 film

The New Adventures of Zorro, 1981 animated series from Filmation.

Zorro and Son, 1983

Zorro (also known as The New Zorro or New World Zorro or Zorro 1990) was an early 1990s television series featuring Duncan Regehr. Regehr portrayed him for 88 episodes on The Family Channel from 1990 to 1993. Two feature-length videos were episode compilations. It was shot entirely in Madrid, Spain.

Kaiketsu Zorro (1996) Japanese anime version from NHK and Ashi Productions.

The New Adventures of Zorro, 1997 animated series from Warner Bros..

The Amazing Zorro, 2002 made for TV animated film created by DIC Entertainment. It premiered on television on Nickelodeon Sunday Movie Toons and was released on DVD and VHS shortly afterward by MGM Home Entertainment.

Zorro: La Espada y la Rosa (The Sword and the Rose), a (2007) Spanish language telenovela from Sony Pictures and Telemundo, starring Peruvian actor Christian Meier as Don Diego de la Vega/Zorro and Marlene Favela as Esmeralda Sánchez de Moncada. This was filmed in the colonial village of Villa de Leyva, Colombia.

Zorro: Generation Z,[15](2006) animated series follows a descendant of the original Zorro, also named Diego De La Vega, fighting crime and the corrupt government of Pueblo Grande in a future setting.

Zorro, a 2009 TV series from the GMA Network of the Philippines. The lead role is portrayed by Richard Gutierrez[16] with leading ladies Rhian Ramos, Bianca King, and Michelle Madrigal.

Zorro: The Chronicles, an upcoming animated series (2016)

Add Frankenstein and Dracula to that list.

Good point!

- Sherlock Holmes

- Zorro

- Robin Hood

- Tarzan

- Frankenstein

- Dracula

:applause:

You are missing the 3 Musketeers.

I've heard that it's no masterpiece, but you get a fun Tarzan movie out of it, enough of what you're looking for to enjoy it.

I thought the movie nailed Tarzan. Louise saw it twice and I saw it once and I was enthralled by the movie from start to finish.

They really nail that Africa / Congo feel that you expect from a good Tarzan flick. The mist, the sets and scenery are fantastic.

I thought Skaarsgard and Robbie did well (did not realize it was her until I read this thread -she looked really beautiful in the movie which I assume they played up to counter the 'animal' side of things).

Some things that I thought that they brought to the movie that were original were Tarzan's hands and his trademark yodel - it was what I thought was a really good take on an old thing.

Sure the story could have been better but on all accounts it was an above average movie IMO.

Waltz, as always was terrific.

If you like Tarzan or watched it as a kid, this movie should make you feel like a kid again.

I thought the movie nailed Tarzan. Louise saw it twice and I saw it once and I was enthralled by the movie from start to finish.

I'm thinking that what appealed to Lou was different from what appealed to you...but then again, I could be wrong. hm

edit-23572-1449674096-2.jpg

We went to see it today and took my friend's husband with us. I LOVED it, lots of action, Tarzan is perfect, and Jane was a refreshing change.

The scenery was great and I liked the fact that they at least tried to add a little history.

If you read the books when you were a kid, you'd recognize the Opar references.

My husband and our friend were not as enthusiastic, they said it was OK, and a little slow.

I think they saw another movie;) :preach:

We went to see it today and took my friend's husband with us. I LOVED it, lots of action, Tarzan is perfect, and Jane was a refreshing change.

The scenery was great and I liked the fact that they at least tried to add a little history.

My husband and our friend were not as enthusiastic, they said it was OK, and a little slow.

See F F's comment above - maybe something to this. I love Tarzan movies but there have been a few dogs since Greystoke, which I actually liked. I might have to give this one a try.

ROBIN HOOD first showed up in a 14th century poem Pieas Plowman by William Langland

FRANKENSTEIN by Mary Shelly in 1818 (she wasn't given as author till 1823)

SHERLOCK HOLMES by ACDoyle in AStudy in Scarlet 1887

DRACULA by Bram Stoker on May 26, 1897

TARZAN by ERB in All Story Oct.1912

ZORRO by Johnston McCulley In The Curse of Capistrano from All Story Weekly 1919

The book The Vampyre 1819, by John Polidori is the friend of Mary Shelly, her husband, & Lord Byran, precedes Stoker's Dracula, and is often confused with its creation.

I remember the multitude of Sherlock books when in the late 1980's it went into public domain, as we saw with Tarzan in 2012. It won't be long before Steamboat Willy/Mickey also turn that corner. This of course, allows for the creation of new stories, using the characters.

I will have to catch the new Tarzan movie once the DVD is released, and very much look forward to that! I often refer to the Christopher Lambert version, as my favorite movie (not just favorite Tarzan movie) and have been meaning to find the longer European version (with extended 'return to civilization' scene.

I think you would enjoy reading Jane: The Woman Who Loved Tarzan by Robin Maxwell.

It's a great yarn and authorized by the Edgar Rice Burroughs Estate. (worship)

Now that the Tarzan character is public domain, the 4 Charlton comic books, and the Barton Werper Gold Star Book paperbacks: Tarzan and the Silver Globe, and the Cave City, and the Snake People, and the Abominable Snowmen, and the Winged Invaders. All of which were sued and any remaining inventories destroyed. These now would be 'street legal' stories, based on ERB characters, though unauthorized.

In 22 years, Superman will be the property of the people as well! Any continuity at tha point, will jus fly out the window!

Now that the Tarzan character is public domain, the 4 Charlton comic books, and the Barton Werper Gold Star Book paperbacks: Tarzan and the Silver Globe, and the Cave City, and the Snake People, and the Abominable Snowmen, and the Winged Invaders. All of which were sued and any remaining inventories destroyed. These now would be 'street legal' stories, based on ERB characters, though unauthorized.

In 22 years, Superman will be the property of the people as well! Any continuity at tha point, will jus fly out the window!

It won't be long before Steamboat Willy/Mickey also turn that corner.

Ha Ha, I seriously doubt we will see either of these in the public domain. The Disney (and others) lawyers and lobbyists have figured out how to extend this ad infinitum and no reason to see that change. Very much a shame too.

https://priceonomics.com/how-mickey-mouse-evades-the-public-domain/

It won't be long before Steamboat Willy/Mickey also turn that corner.

Ha Ha, I seriously doubt we will see either of these in the public domain. The Disney (and others) lawyers and lobbyists have figured out how to extend this ad infinitum and no reason to see that change. Very much a shame too.

https://priceonomics.com/how-mickey-mouse-evades-the-public-domain/

:disclaimer:

I am not a lawyer.

But I watched all the Perry Mason TV movies.

But, isn't it public domain after the author/creator died 70-80 years ago.

I'm tring to think of something still going and not in public domain that meets this criteria.

The only one that comes to mind is Nancy Drew, that was created in 1930 by publisher Edward Stratameyer who died soon after. His daughter ran it until she died, by then it was sold off to various companies.

This makes me feel like I am wrong about the 70 year rule.