• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tarzan 2016 trailer HD

99 posts in this topic

From the article

In 1997, Congress introduced the Copyright Term Extension Act, which proposed to extend corporate copyrights again -- this time, from 75 to 95 years. To ensure the bill passed, Disney cozied up to legislators.

in all likelihood, the 95 year will be pushed out again.

And let's not forget trademark which is a whole different animal. So while Snow White is in the public domain, you can't create and sell something with the Disney version of Snow White as that is trademarked. Unless a spoof or other exceptions courts deem OK.

And of course Disney uses the law and their financial might to discourage any of this stuff even if legal.

I always wondered, if all those little countries that issued Disney character stamps, were side stepping royalties. The unused stamps, themselves, amounting to uncashed checks. Granada, being one of them.

For that matter, I'm surprised the Happy Birthday song, came back into 'non-royalties' usage on TV shows, and in eating establishments. It was probably the early '70's when someone had actually laid claim to it.

I know a TM, or trademark, could be renewed, again and again. But beyond a stylized logo, was never clear on the specifics. I know Mylar is Dupont's trademark name for polyester.

It was interesting when the company cross-overs started appearing. Superman/Spider-Man, Hulk/Batman, or even Roger Rabbit with all the Warner Bros.characters.

Now that Disney owns Marvel, the requirement that Howard the Duck wear pants (so as to be different than Donald)may be null & void?

What is interesting and can be controversial is the benefit of open property.

Even open property things like Conan, Sherlock Holmes, the Birthday Song are hindered by threats of lawsuits and other issues like that.

Take something truly open like Santa Claus. There are 100s of versions of Santa, which we are all better off for including the users.

The real question is if the original owner of a character or IP can benefit from opening the property. I'd imagine in many cases they could. Just as Snow White is open property, it is still a highly profitable character for Disney.

An interesting thought exercise to wonder what characters would become more profitable with open source.

Think Grateful Dead or String Cheese Incident who let their fans record their concerts and then sell the bootleg tapes. GD gets none of the profits but the fans become fanatically loyal, follow the band around the country (paid for by those same tapes) and buyers of the tapes become bigger fans who, in theorey, spend more money.

Take a second tier indy comic book. For example - Bone. Assume the owners ( I don't know if Smith is the owner or not) want to maximize profit. They let anyone they want make a movie, comic, youtube clip, T-shirts whatever of the Bone character. Slowly the rabid Bone fans expand the usages and Bone becomes ever more popular. Then Jeff Smith has a much larger fan base to create a full length movie or specialty comics etc. Original art values go up and on and on. Yeah it's not proprietary but Smith is special to the Bone character and his stuff is always going to be better and original vs fan based stuff.

Amazing that this Tarzan movie beat the latest

Ghostbusters

TMNT

and Star Trek movies worldwide at the box office!

Beat them each by over 100 million world wide!

I guess there is still life in the character.

Tarzan and Sherlock Holmes will never fade.

addng numbers to this!

The Legend of Tarzan worldwide = $354,660,421

Ghostbusters worldwide = 217.5 million

STAR TREK BEYOND worldwide = 243 million,

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows = 242.5 million,

Tarzan held his own pretty well for a character who some say is outdated!

(thumbs u

So, ComicConnoisseur, why isn't your location a two digit number on Baker St.? And as a connoisseur of light, what parts of the spectrum are you partial too? Or is it elementary? So which is the absence of color? Black or white? And just how many shades of grey are there?Or is it a zip atone thing? And just what color is that other horse? Do you sleep with a night light, and what watt? How much do pipers get paid? (You seem to keep up with numbers .)If a light connoisseur is the results of dieting.... Then never mind. And, at the risk of sounding argumentative, I've got a few Tarzan books that are badly faded!

I was of the impression that it never made it to the #1 spot, at the box office (in it's opening weekend)? That may have just been U.S. tallies. But with numbers over 1/3 of a billion dollars...I would think sequels are being discussed?

Legend of Tarzan Fans Start Sequel Push — Form Facebook Group, Get Organized.

TARZAN SEQUEL SUPPORT?

:wishluck:

So, ComicConnoisseur, why isn't your location a two digit number on Baker St.? And as a connoisseur of light, what parts of the spectrum are you partial too? Or is it elementary? So which is the absence of color? Black or white? And just how many shades of grey are there?Or is it a zip atone thing? And just what color is that other horse? Do you sleep with a night light, and what watt? How much do pipers get paid? (You seem to keep up with numbers .)If a light connoisseur is the results of dieting.... Then never mind. And, at the risk of sounding argumentative, I've got a few Tarzan books that are badly faded!

sherlock_holmes_quote_by_stormygiovanna-d5o04r8.jpg

Amazing that this Tarzan movie beat the latest

Ghostbusters

TMNT

and Star Trek movies worldwide at the box office!

Beat them each by over 100 million world wide!

I guess there is still life in the character.

Tarzan and Sherlock Holmes will never fade.

addng numbers to this!

The Legend of Tarzan worldwide = $354,660,421

Ghostbusters worldwide = 217.5 million

STAR TREK BEYOND worldwide = 243 million,

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows = 242.5 million,

Tarzan held his own pretty well for a character who some say is outdated!

(thumbs u

It did well because it was a good movie.

I had zero desire to see Ghostbusters or TMNT.

Star Trek was pretty good too although not as good as the 1st two.

:bump:

Just finished it.

I really liked as well.

Three out of four stars.

I found the action sequences very entertaining and the CG not too distracting.

It had a lot of warmth and humanity, lacking in a lot of recent blockbusters.

It's too bad there probably won't be another one. They cast the perfect Tarzan and Jane Porter. Even Sam Jackson added a bit of fun in a movie he hasn't been able to do in a long time.

Unfortunately, Christoph Waltz was just playing Christoph Waltz. :(

:bump:

Just finished it.

I really liked as well.

Three out of four stars.

I found the action sequences very entertaining and the CG not too distracting.

It had a lot of warmth and humanity, lacking in a lot of recent blockbusters.

It's too bad there probably won't be another one. They cast the perfect Tarzan and Jane Porter. Even Sam Jackson added a bit of fun in a movie he hasn't been able to do in a long time.

Unfortunately, Christoph Waltz was just playing Christoph Waltz. :(

A very good movie. I hope there is a sequel. :wishluck:

Much like M7, this movie won't kill at the box office because it's old school material but the movie is much better than people will realize or the box office numbers show.

This might be one of my favorite movies of the year. It really hit the spot for me.

The visuals were stunning.