• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE (6/24/16)

56 posts in this topic

It really needed a $100 plus opening for the studio to be happy. The summer is looking a little thin from here on out. BFG, I think will do great. Suicide Squad should do well (and may be a big hit). The next big bomb to hit will be Ghostbusters. Becoming a very uneven summer.

Yeah - if you think Independence Day was "one of the worst" movies out there, you need to watch more movies.

I don't think I've seen it again since the theater, but it was an incredible time 20 years ago.

I still remember:

- The White House exploding (from the trailer)

- Will Smith punching, in the desert, punching the alien ("Welcome to Earf!")

- Jeff Goldblum being awesome

- Bill Pullman's ridiculous but awesome "Independence Day" speech (made all the better because he actually then pilots a jet himself)

- Mary McDonnell as the first lady

That's a whole lot of good stuff to remember from a single viewing. As a cheesy disaster epic it revived a genre not really seen since the '70s.

All that being said, I'm skipping this sequel like I skipped Die Hard 4 and 5.

The Unrated Live Free or Die Hard (Die Hard 4) might be the second best installment in the franchise, but yes... A Good Day To Die Hard (Die Hard 5) is pretty skippable (despite an awesome car chase sequence near the beginning.) Even the Extended Cut (30 extra minutes,) is pretty lackluster.

Yeah - if you think Independence Day was "one of the worst" movies out there, you need to watch more movies.

I don't think I've seen it again since the theater, but it was an incredible time 20 years ago.

I still remember:

- The White House exploding (from the trailer)

- Will Smith punching, in the desert, punching the alien ("Welcome to Earf!")

- Jeff Goldblum being awesome

- Bill Pullman's ridiculous but awesome "Independence Day" speech (made all the better because he actually then pilots a jet himself)

- Mary McDonnell as the first lady

That's a whole lot of good stuff to remember from a single viewing. As a cheesy disaster epic it revived a genre not really seen since the '70s.

All that being said, I'm skipping this sequel like I skipped Die Hard 4 and 5.

The Unrated Live Free or Die Hard (Die Hard 4) might be the second best installment in the franchise, but yes... A Good Day To Die Hard (Die Hard 5) is pretty skippable (despite an awesome car chase sequence near the beginning.) Even the Extended Cut (30 extra minutes,) is pretty lackluster.
I agree that Die Hard 4 was really good, for me the 3rd best (after the first and die hard with a vengeance). Die Hard 5 looked so bad, i never saw it.

I loved the original. I was 12 at the time and saw it 4 times in the theater. Saw the sequel tonight and it was legitimately boring and devoid of any humor. The writing was awful. The "acting" of Sela Ward was incredibly bad. Like James Franco Spider-Man bad. The original was stupid but it had heart. Probably because Will Smith has charisma unlike any of the actors in this movie. It was still fun for its nostalgia, but it's basically the same movie as the original, but much worse.

This is gonna' bomb.

Not quite Warcraft-style bomb (which looks like it will become only the second movie to hit $400 million worldwide having not managed to hit $100 million domestic -- Terminator Genysis was the first)

But it will fade fast in the face of warm summer weather and other competing blockbusters.

(July 1 alone is going to cream it, with The BFG, Tarzan and Purge 3 all coming in hot).

So...I'm thinking comparative-summer-blockbuster bomb.

I predict a ceiling of $600 million worldwide. Let's call it $190 million U.S., $400 million foreign.

At those numbers it will likely be profitable (barely) but the original hit nearly $600 million domestic alone, after adjusting for inflation.

$190MM US seems like a pipe dream at this point. high $40's opening weekend points toward $125MM, maybe $150MM US. int'l- who knows?

Yeah -- but it could just as easily have surprised folks & done like $70 million domestic this weekend (which would _still_ have been less than Finding Dory's 2nd weekend).

$45 million summer opening and bad reviews (just 34% positive on RT right now) equals it's going to drop like a rock next weekend.

Ditto - some heads are gonna' role. I doubt any executives would have agreed to this if they knew it would open to less than $50 million

low $40's. $125MM US now seems like a pipe dream. maybe 4th weekend will save it somewhat.

I’ve read a couple of reviews claiming that the first half an hour or so of the film is a bit of a tedious slog to get through?

Just got back from seeing this and I will have to say...

It was awful

Problem areas:

Bad storyline...consistes of a lot of re-treading. We find out that the aliens were intending to drill to the Earf's core in the first movie even though they didn't show this. On top of the aliens "trying again", they are also chasing another alien to Earf who is trying to team up with the humans to destroy them. Too much!

Bad acting...especially the girl playing Whitmore's daughter. Good looking, terrible actress. Some of the others, especially the returning actors seem to be phoning it in.

Some returning actors/characters are glorified cameos. Dylan's mother in particular. We find out that she is now a doctor or nurse and is killed off in the second scene we see her in. David's dad does absolutely NOTHING!!! And Hiller's son (who was a step son) is famous for having a famous dad who then died in a test flight... lol

Twenty years later doesn't seem consistent. There are super fortress and flying vehicles all over the place and then we see a 90s looking school bus that still runs on gasoline. With the merging of alien and human technology as we see at the beginning, we have yet to get past relying on fossil fuels?

It does not feel like Independence Day. This may be subjective as I was 15 when the original came out, but this took forever to even get to a point where you feel you are in the same universe as the original.

A lot of rehashing what made the original successful. Same jokes and lines to give winks and nods. At one point they even start a plan to go back up and destroy a mothership from the inside just as they did before.

You never felt the global scale of this one. In the original, we saw countries all over the world react and fight the aliens, this one just focuses on America and no one else (other than a few Chinese) help with beating the aliens again.

Was anyone clamoring for this movie to be made? It seems a decade and a half too late and who cares, been there done that. When I saw the trailer for the 5th Wave in the movie theater it literally took half the trailer for me to realize it was not the trailer for this Independence Day sequel.

Exactly.

Independence was groundbreaking for its time, a throwback to the big disaster movies of the 70s, but on an even grander scale.

20 years on, we get world-ending &/or alien invasion movies like that every summer. And then we get the ones were the world-ending alien threat isn't even the main selling point (i.e. Avengers, Transformers movies)

So

Yawn...

+1

Classic case of becoming desensitised by overexposure, here to large-scale, on-screen destruction during the intervening two decades, coupled with better stories and direction elsewhere.

No real reason to bother going out to watch a patchy Roland Emmerich film anymore, when you get quite enough of the same in the typical, formulaic third act of a super-hero film these days.