• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stephen King's 11.22.63 on HULU

24 posts in this topic

Synopsis:

Hulu Original series 11.22.63 is a thriller in which high school English teacher Jake Epping (James Franco) travels back in time to prevent the assassination of President John F. Kennedy — but his mission is threatened by Lee Harvey Oswald, falling in love and the past itself, which doesn’t want to be changed. Also starring Chris Cooper, Josh Duhamel, T.R. Knight, Cherry Jones, Sarah Gadon, Lucy Fry, George MacKay and Daniel Webber.

The eight-part event series based upon the New York Times best-selling 2011 novel written by Stephen King premieres Presidents Day, Feb. 15, 2016, on Hulu. J.J. Abrams, Stephen King, Bridget Carpenter and Bryan Burk serve as executive producers. Academy Award®-winning Director Kevin Macdonald (Last King of Scotland, State of Play, Black Sea) directs and executive produces the first two hours.

I hope this will be good, it looks promising!

I'm glad they are going the mini-series route instead of a film. It's been awhile since I read the book but as I recall there is a lot going on in it. It would be cool if they keep the Pennywise reference during the Derry section.

Yeah, I loved the book to. The concept that time doesn't want to be changed, and puts up barriers, is a new one in the time travel genre.

You are not kidding. I've binge watched the first two episodes late last night once the family went to bed. I really liked it!

I didn't understand at first why the initial episode focused so much on a couple of the writer's students and fellow teachers. But by the end of the episode and going into the second episode, you start to realize why.

The intensity when he tries to stop a murder involving one of his students from the first episode was really good. And the actor Josh Duhamel playing this bitter father of that student was fantastic, as usually he has gone down the heartthrob road with young girls. Not on this show!

u164fOG.jpg[/img]

The ending of the second episode adds its own little twist I also didn't see coming. But if you are going to bring things back in time and leave them lying around...

You'll see.

okay... I know it says best seller, but it is a King book.... so is the book any good?

Not sure the implication here. King has written some amazing stories and even if you don't like his writing style, there have been some amazing movies and TV developed from his work. Carrie, Shining, Salems Lot, It, Stand by Me, The green mile, Silver Bullet, Shawshank Redemption and more I can't think of right now. He's an icon who probably wrote a book in the time it took me to type this.

Up to Episode 5 (The Eyes of Texas) so far. Not a bad show, with some intense moments this week.

The crazy thing is...

how many historic events do you impact when altering even one or two occurrences even briefly?

James Franco's partner is falling for Oswald's wife, who is an abused spouse. So if he steps in to protect her, does that alter Oswald's future? And with Sadie's crazy husband showing up, and Jake (Franco) threatening to beat him if he didn't sign the divorce papers, that now changed portions of history.

Next week's episode could be even better due to Jake having to share once again his mission with another person.

:ohnoez:

Another tense episode, which becomes quite personal for Franco's character.

11.22.63: "The Truth" Review

It seemed only fitting that this week's 11.22.63 began with a flashback to Jake's classroom in the present day, as he posed the question, "If you could go back in time and change one thing, what would you do?" In addition to offering a humorous explanation for the series' own time-travel physics -- basically, "Don't worry about it" -- the result brought about a lot of "kill this person" answers, which is something Jake has been struggling with from the beginning of the show with Oswald.

It really was an interesting opening to the episode. But what happens in trying to change history - and how it impacts you directly - is interesting.

okay... I know it says best seller, but it is a King book.... so is the book any good?

Not sure the implication here. King has written some amazing stories and even if you don't like his writing style, there have been some amazing movies and TV developed from his work. Carrie, Shining, Salems Lot, It, Stand by Me, The green mile, Silver Bullet, Shawshank Redemption and more I can't think of right now. He's an icon who probably wrote a book in the time it took me to type this.

I love me some King books... what i was asking, was if it was indeed a good book... he has lots of best selling books.... not all are good... consensus seems to be its good... so i'll end up getting to it :)

This week's episode was another interesting twist on history. Or at least what is assumed to be the events of the JFK assassination.

Oswald practicing on the rifle range was really creepy. Especially when the camera angle is him pointing the rifle and shooting right at the TV audience.

:ohnoez:

Love this King book! And I've read a lot of his stuff.

I don't get HULU agggggghh.. Why didn't Netflix do it???? aggg

Who didn't want to taste that 50s coke in the soda shop... and what comics were lurking on end-stands and racks? :headbang:

Man, was I prescient! No one noticed the DC comic stand at the malt shop with Brave and the Bold #28 (1960.. when he arrived) ??? They focused on the rack for like 5 minutes. :headbang:

Had to get HULU just to watch it... it was great!