• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on Condition of Fantastic Four #5

27 posts in this topic

Posted this in grading issues, but it appears this is a much more appropriate forum.

I'm interested in picking up a copy of Fantastic Four #5, so I was wondering if I could get an opinion on the condition. It seems like it's in good shape, but I'm kind of an amateur at being able to tell what grading companies do and don't look for. Any idea what this might come back as?

The seller mentioned the following to me:

"I can guarantee no tape.

I can guarantee no glue.

I can guarantee no water damage.

I cannot guarantee no color touch, for that you need expertise , black/ultraviolet lamps and powerful/expensive microscopes."

Any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks so much in advance!

Image Gallery:

j9GMqv1.jpg

viuFeWB.jpg

yHwcwjJ.jpg

qGjazJ2.jpg

vOdWdzc.jpg

p5G9MOj.jpg

Looks around a 5.0. I'd be a little hesitant based on seller's comments, but they could just be covering their butt. While it may be tough to guarantee no color touch on some books, one can still venture whether or not it appears a book might have it. Just saying you can't guarantee it's not there, seems to leave some leeway as to whether or not the seller thinks there may be some.

The jumbo scans are too soft and pixilated to tell much, and due to the lack of resolution can sometimes give the impression there might be color touch when their isn't.

Looks like possible black CT on spine?

That was my feeling (before reading your comment). The photos are pretty rough, so hard to be sure, but the black line of the spine definitely looks wonky. Between that and the seller's disclaimer, I'd move on.

Interestingly, if you look at this copy, the black line also seems present. Are we suspecting CT due to the quality of the line, or because we didn't think it should be there to begin with (unfamiliarity with this specific issue)?

http://s161.photobucket.com/user/Filter81/media/Fantastic%20Four/FF5CGC80_zps1317dac5.jpg.html

I actually didn't see the scan of the book (last image in the first post) when I replied before.

Now that I've seen it, I'd say with 100% certainty that there is color touch in the black areas of the spine.

The blacks don't match, and there are spine color breaks in the red word balloon frame but the black strip to the left 'magically' doesn't have them.

Yes, the black line on the spine should be there, but it looks razor-sharp in the slabbed 8.0 image. On this book it looks a bit fuzzy, like it could have been subtly retouched.

I asked the seller for some info on the spine. He sent over some pretty clear pictures.

Yes! It's clearly restored.

Let me know what you guys think. He's asking for a little over 1k.

Priced aggressively for a color-touched book. A seller claiming ignorance, and a return policy with caveats. Up to you, but I would pass.

Yeah, you can definitely see some of the cracks filled in with...maybe even Sharpie in the spine images. Unfortunate. Any idea what kind of restored grade this might get? Seller suggested 6.5-7, but I feel like that's pretty ambitious.

The lower right corner crease alone will drop it out of the 6.5/7.0 range pretty quickly. It's a nice-looking book, but I'd say more like Apparent 5.0 ... and that's assuming no back cover or interior surprises.

The lower right corner crease alone will drop it out of the 6.5/7.0 range pretty quickly. It's a nice-looking book, but I'd say more like Apparent 5.0 ... and that's assuming no back cover or interior surprises.

I agree, that's a big crease, 5.0 tops. Factor in the obvious color touch and this is not a book you want to buy. Sorry.