• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can somebody help me understand this wedding present?

243 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

My uncle recently gave me a very unusual wedding present - a comic book. I tried to take some good scans of it, but the thing is longer than my scanner bed, and the front always came out blurry, so I guess my scanner sucks. I'm including them anyways.

I don't collect comics, though, so I don't understand exactly what he gave me. He just said it's really special, and it's up to me to decide what to do with it, either selling it now, hanging on to it when it "explodes", or keeping it as an heirloom. Other than that, he hasn't given me much information other than to say there are apparently only 9 of these in the world, and he's seen them all and this one is the overall best of them. I tried finding other comic books like it online, but haven't really been able to find much. I see other comics that look like this one, but their number in the upper left hand side is way lower.

So the comic book itself is a Fantastic Four 67. It looks like it was made in 1967 (which means it's a silver comic book, yes? That's what another site told me), and is the first appearance of some guy called "Him" and then another guy called "Warlock" has a cameo. There's a thing in the middle of the label that says white pages and the graded number thing in the upper left is 9.8. It's also got the words "Twin Cities" in italics next to the hologram thing. From what research I could do, apparently the "Twin Cities" thing ties the book back to its original owner, who was some bus driver in Minnesota that died, for whatever that's worth.

Has he actually given me something nice/is it really all that rare? What is this thing worth now, supposing it really is "the nicest one in the world"? And what's the catalyst for this exploding thing he was talking about, and what is it worth then? He's not being real forthright with information because he's got this hangup about people educating themselves about things. Thanks for any help you can provide.

ofjwwMF.jpg

d5lzrWv.jpg

A very cool book.

In case he did not tell you - do NOT open it - the case is sealed to preserve the condition.

9.8 = almost perfect! - this is the condition grade and 9.9/10 are incredible rare (and none exist for this particular book).

Twin Cities note -means this is a pedigree - it came from a collection of significance. This makes the book more desirable to certain collectors.

A lot of the recent popularity is from "movie hype" - the cocoon on the front was pictured in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie - and the rumor is that what it contains (character adam warlock) is going to be featured in an upcoming movie.

Even before the hype kicked in - the book was pretty valuable. A lot of us have a subscription to a database site that records sales of the graded books.

The data on this grade is not great (not a lot of around so not a lot of sales). This exact book appeard to be bought in 2013 for $4400 - copies today may go for more.

And this is how books disappear from the hobby. Wow. I'm happy to see you here since some people would just throw that under the bed and forget about it.

Your uncle gave you a valuable comic book. If it hasn't changed hands since 2013 and he purchased it then, he's actually made a fine return on it. He purchased it for $4481. It would be worth nearly twice that now. It's a an interesting book for several reasons.

1. it's a hot "key" book. It's the second part of a two part story that introduces the character Him. Him eventually becomes known as Warlock. Warlock is going to be in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. People love MCU key books

2. It's from a special "pedigree" collection- the "Twin Cities" on the label. Some people (me, for example) pay a premium for pedigree books

3. It's very high grade. As was mentioned it's only one of nine at 9.8 out of more than 700 graded.

This is a book that will probably go down precipitously at some point in the near future. The hype from the MCU can only keep a book aloft for so long and this one is pretty hot right now (as is evidenced by the fact that it's doubled in value two years.) Unless you're looking to start a comic collection and would get some value out of the book in that way, I'd consider selling it now as it's probably not going to be worth much more than it is now in even ten years. Chances are, like I said, it will drop precipitously once the hype has died down and then it will face a long slog back to the values it's seeing today.

A guy comes on here,and on his first post throws out a 9.8 early F.F..This guy is either fishing,or he's full of sheit.Either way I call BS.

My first thought was that this was some sort of troll. Then the Christmas spirit overtook me. :acclaim:

A guy comes on here,and on his first post throws out a 9.8 early F.F..This guy is either fishing,or he's full of sheit.Either way I call BS.

100% :sumo:

"To what end" would somebody do something like this ? To go through the trouble of scanning the book and then posting a long question ? It boggles the mind to consider such a malicious purpose. "To what end" I repeat ?

100% :sumo:

"To what end" would somebody do something like this ? To go through the trouble of scanning the book and then posting a long question ? It boggles the mind to consider such a malicious purpose. "To what end" I repeat ?

:o To sell something that he does not have thur PM to someone on the board. And laugh all the way to that dumb guys bank.

You did not just ask that question? You may be his troll. lol.