• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover Detached from Top Staple

3 posts in this topic

I am back to collecting this past year and did not realize a detached staple resulted in a qualified grade.

I just had a sub pop today on a copy of Thor #165 and was ecstatic when I saw the 9.2 grade but then that excitement fell when I saw the qualified designation.

I had three questions I was hoping I might be able to get some help on and any help would truly be appreciated.

Could I have requested a Blue label on the initial sub and would CGC have complied?

If yes, to the above what would a Green label 9.2 come back as in a blue label?

If I chose to sell down the line which would provide the best return, a Green label 9.2 for this book or the blue label grade mentioned for the questions above?

I purchased the book knowing the staple was detached so I have no qualms about that or the grade which CGC assigned. I just was not experienced enough to know the impact that a detached staple would have and am now trying to educate myself.

Thank you for any input!

Patrick

basically a Q grading in this case means that without the popped staple, the book is a 9.2.

but, because the popped staple would have dropped the book's grade significantly, CGC decided to give it a green label

I'm not sure you can request a blue over a green.