• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you rather have the chance to win a $350 book or 3 chances at $125 books?

40 posts in this topic

I'm planning on having an incentive drawing during the Cleveland Wizard Comic Con to entice people to bulk buy some of my $1 books. The thought is to have people fill in a ticket for each $20 worth of books they buy with a drawing on Sunday evening. People will fill out the ticket with a name and phone number so the winner will not need to be present.

My question is - would you think one big prize like a ASM 129 CGC 4.0 will bring in more sales or 3 $100 - $125 hot book like a low grade NM 98? The 3 books would allow me to give away a books per evening and hopefully bring in a crowd at the end of the con each night but the big mega prize like a ASM 129 may have more of a WOW factor. People will have the option to opt out of the give-away and get 25 $1 books for $20 if they want to.

Ideas?

more chances to win

A thought was mentioned to give away 300 $1 books during the Con but I'm thinking people would be more inclined to pick up a few more books if they knew they could get a low grade NM 98, high grade Mad Love or even a ASM 129 CGC 4.0. To me its all about moving out the 50 long boxes of books I've got in a storage space right now.

If going with the smaller books you might want to also give them a cash option of say $50 (if you were planning those at $100-125) - call it a buy-back or something to avoid someone saying it's a lottery.

If you're not married to the one-a-day thing - drawing three winners who pick 1st, 2nd, 3rd keeps anyone interested in only one of your lesser books buying every day, while a per-determined daily prize limits extra buying to those interested in "today's book". Three lesser book prizes mostly equal in value broadens the audience for buying more.

2c

If going with the smaller books you might want to also give them a cash option of say $50 (if you were planning those at $100-125) - call it a buy-back or something to avoid someone saying it's a lottery.

If you're not married to the one-a-day thing - drawing three winners who pick 1st, 2nd, 3rd keeps anyone interested in only one of your lesser books buying every day, while a per-determined daily prize limits extra buying to those interested in "today's book". Three lesser book prizes mostly equal in value broadens the audience for buying more.

2c

Good points. The devil is in the details so lets say the options is:

Option 1 - Give away an ASM 129 CGC 4.0 on Sunday with it being the only prize

Option 2 - Three Prizes (Killing Joke 1 CGC 9.6, NM 98 VG & Spiderman 41 CGC 5.5). The prizes can be given away one each evening or a format similar to described above where 1st name out of the hat gets first pick and so on. Problem with that is I don't want to make the winner be present since some people on Friday won't be back on Sunday. And doing a picking process over the phone is troublesome. I really like the idea of getting everything done by Sunday night and everything out in the open.

I really liked Shadrochs suggestion below from the other thread. This would move the books you are looking to move and be very enticing for the $1 bin book crowd IMO.

I'd go with $300 credit in dollar books, myself. given your two options, I'd go with three prizes instead of one.

When doing shows, I think with my back. Giving away 300 books works better than giving away one or three. The less I lug out, the happier I am with the show results.

I really liked Shadrochs suggestion below from the other thread. This would move the books you are looking to move and be very enticing for the $1 bin book crowd IMO.

I'd go with $300 credit in dollar books, myself. given your two options, I'd go with three prizes instead of one.

When doing shows, I think with my back. Giving away 300 books works better than giving away one or three. The less I lug out, the happier I am with the show results.

I'd rather not give away hot books either but I just can't see a lot of people bumping the number of books in their stack from 10 to 20 in order to possibly win 300 picked over $1 books. I guess I could set aside a long box of books for the prize but I'd think people would want to pick the 300 books rather then getting random books.

2c

Good points. The devil is in the details so lets say the options is:

Option 1 - Give away an ASM 129 CGC 4.0 on Sunday with it being the only prize

Option 2 - Three Prizes (Killing Joke 1 CGC 9.6, NM 98 VG & Spiderman 41 CGC 5.5). The prizes can be given away one each evening or a format similar to described above where 1st name out of the hat gets first pick and so on. Problem with that is I don't want to make the winner be present since some people on Friday won't be back on Sunday. And doing a picking process over the phone is troublesome. I really like the idea of getting everything done by Sunday night and everything out in the open.

I like the three book option, one per day - if you're not making the winner be present then ensure you make it clear that they lose their place in the pecking order if they don't choose before the next drawing. You could have two books left on Sunday at draw time if someone from an earlier day left the con and never got their choice back to you.

You could avoid that possibility by having them write their preferences on the tickets. ie - NM, KJ, ASM

I'd rather not give away hot books either but I just can't see a lot of people bumping the number of books in their stack from 10 to 20 in order to possibly win 300 picked over $1 books. I guess I could set aside a long box of books for the prize but I'd think people would want to pick the 300 books rather then getting random books.

You are overlooking the fact that people simply like to win. You could raffle off ten coverless moderns and some people would be thrilled because they "won".

Is it legal to tie a sweepstakes to a required purchase? I don't know the answer but I always thought there had to be a way to get an entry without a purchase. It probably varies by state and I've never lived in Ohio.

Personally I'd be far more enticed to spend the initial $20 to get in on the action with a chance to win 100 books over a 1 key issue. As they may not collect the offered titles or have any interest in books of that value. It also gives the hope to the customer that does see value and that they may stumble upon a hidden gem as they pull 100 books as well to give them even more bang for the buck.

I've done this at shows before. I offered a choice between a big book and a longbox. In the probably 10 times I did it they took the longbox every single time.

Never thought about giving the person the option to pick a batch of books. I like that option since it draws in the key chasers and the guy looking for reading material. I'm assuming you felt the giveaway was a success since you did it 10 times.

Is it legal to tie a sweepstakes to a required purchase? I don't know the answer but I always thought there had to be a way to get an entry without a purchase. It probably varies by state and I've never lived in Ohio.

I've got a question in to the guys at Wizard to make sure I'm able to run the give-away but I'd think it would have to hinge on how you worded it. I'm sure I can't call it a raffle or sweepstakes.

Every ticket can be redeemed at the end of the day for one item. If that one special person at the end of the day gets a longbox as their item then whoopy woo. It also brought people back to my table to get a free book, and a lot of those people added to their stack. I think it was legal...I was a teenager. Everything was legal.