• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DISCLOSING "RAINBOW SMUDGE" EFFECT WHEN SELLING?

14 posts in this topic

I got some slabs from the CGC awhile back. When I popped open the box I was surprised to see what I thought was water or liquid inside one or two of the slabs. I immediately freaked out, but then did a bit of research here on the forums. Apparently when the plastics come together inside the case they can look like liquid or oil and it's a harmless visual effect. The CGC will reslab if desired but it's nothing that is harmful to the comic inside.

Having said that, I can imagine there are folks that don't want to deal with that sort of thing. Would you disclose the fact a slab had this visual effect when selling on the forums or elsewhere?

This is the thread containing the information about rainbow smudges where Gemma relates the info:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4028966

I wouldn't disclose an I don't mind when a slab I own has it. As others have said, if it bothers you, you can slip a piece of paper between the slab and the inner plastic to rid the slab of the effect.

I really wanted a comic once that had the rainbow effect prominently in the pic... and while the grade and price were all good, this effect was pretty darn obtrusive to the cover that I passed. The seller didn't have to disclose it because it was pretty darn visible ...

I really wanted a comic once that had the rainbow effect prominently in the pic... and while the grade and price were all good, this effect was pretty darn obtrusive to the cover that I passed. The seller didn't have to disclose it because it was pretty darn visible ...

And that's the reason that I started this thread. I'd like to avoid having upset folks after the sale. Even though it's just a cosmetic effect I can see people not digging the smudge.

Truth be told the 'smudges' I'm worried about are only noticeable at certain angles and in certain lighting....but they are smudges nonetheless.

I don't personally have an issue with them if they are indeed just cosmetic artifacts of encapsulation.....but once again I thought it'd be best to ask around.

I got some slabs from the CGC awhile back. When I popped open the box I was surprised to see what I thought was water or liquid inside one or two of the slabs. I immediately freaked out, but then did a bit of research here on the forums. Apparently when the plastics come together inside the case they can look like liquid or oil and it's a harmless visual effect. The CGC will reslab if desired but it's nothing that is harmful to the comic inside.

Having said that, I can imagine there are folks that don't want to deal with that sort of thing. Would you disclose the fact a slab had this visual effect when selling on the forums or elsewhere?

This is the thread containing the information about rainbow smudges where Gemma relates the info:

Maybe it's because I have some technical background but I was never surprised with the rainbow effect on some books. It can also happen when you have two pieces of Mylar sticking to each other as well. It's just a normal product of light refracting through some materials.

And to me it's getting increasingly disappointing how many buyers expect their slabs to be perfect and flawless in every way...or at least what they consider a perfect slab shoudl look like. In fact some buyers seems to care more about the condition of the plastic case than the comic book inside the case. lol

Maybe it's because I have some technical background but I was never surprised with the rainbow effect on some books. It can also happen when you have two pieces of Mylar sticking to each other as well. It's just a normal product of light refracting through some materials.

And to me it's getting increasingly disappointing how many buyers expect their slabs to be perfect and flawless in every way...or at least what they consider a perfect slab shoudl look like. In fact some buyers seems to care more about the condition of the plastic case than the comic book inside the case. lol

I do not know if you remember but things like this came up when we were at the Metro meet and greet last March. There is obviously only so far that one can take it in terms of acceptability of defect but the case and the mylar to come into play in regards to collectability / desire to purchase and customer service respectfully.

For instance, obviously a cracked slab is unacceptable and should be disclosed or the book reslabbed when it is offered for sale. However, how far does one go in regards to a blemish or when the mylar is sticking to the case? I had brought up something that I still stand by. While we were there I had mentioned to Vinny that I was disappointed after winning a book from CLink for a couple of grand and received the slabbed book in a tattered mylar sleeve. (It had multiple tear holes across the entire bag but everything else was fine.) He asked me why it mattered since everything else was fine. I stand by the following. If I am spending $2500 with you, I don't see how a tattered bag is allowed on a slab. If I am going to your restaurant, I am going to be disappointed if I am eating a fantastic meal with dirty utensils or on a dirty tablecloth.

Presentation has a lot to do with certain things and a new bag is a simple thing that could have been easily rectified. Is it a deal breaker? By no means. I think Clink is where I did most of my shopping in 2015. But a new bag (or at least one that wasn't falling apart) would have led to a better buying experience upon inspection of the purchased item. Isn't that the purpose of a lot of this? To have a satisfactory buying experience?

Thoughts?

I do not know if you remember but things like this came up and I had mentioned it to Vinny when we were at the Metro meet and greet last March. There is obviously only so far that one can take it in terms of acceptability of defect but the case and the mylar to come into play in regards to collectability / desire to purchase and customer service respectfully.

For instance, obviously I cracked slab is unacceptable and should be disclosed or the book reslabbed when it is offered for sale. However, how far does one go in regards to a blemish or when the mylar is sticking to the case. I had brought up something that I still stand by. While we were there I had mentioned to Vinny that I was disappointed after winning a book from CLink for a couple of grand and received the slabbed book in a tattered mylar sleeve. (It had multiple tear holes across the entire bag but everything else was fine.) He asked me why it mattered since everything else was fine. I stand by the following. If I am spending $2500 with you, I don't see how a tattered bag is allowed on a slab. If I am going to your restaurant, I am going to be disappointed if I am eating a fantastic meal with dirty utensils or on a dirty tablecloth.

Presentation has a lot to do with certain things and a new bag is a simple thing that could have been easily rectified. Is it a deal breaker? By no means. I think Clink is where I did most of my shopping in 2015. But a new bag (or at least one that wasn't falling apart) would have led to a better buying experience upon inspection of the purchased item. Isn't that the purpose of a lot of this? To have a satisfactory buying experience?

Thoughts?

On a $2500 slab, you definitely should be given a new Mylite sheath.

I shipped a $550 slab to a boardie yesterday, brand new slab with no defects.

The CGC issued sheath/bag had creases and a couple tears in it.So I sheathed the slab in a CGC sized mylite instead of leaving it in the polybag sheath.

I didn't want the boardie to think to himself "What the eff?", when he opened the box and took the slab out of the bubblewrap.

However, that is something that a seller has control over.

I can't do anything if there is "rainbow smudging" inside of the holder...other than resub the book and hope it doesn't occur when it is reholdered.That is time and money wasted, to me.

Quite a few of my slabs have this rainbow but it is not something that needs to be disclosed, or should be.

Likely, potential buyers would have a knee jerk reaction and place less of a value on the book....and as it is not a defect, why make a point of it?

If it very prominent, I suppose the best thing to do would be to mention it and qoute Gemma's post from the linked thread.

It all depends on the buyer, as Roy said, some people expect slabs to be perfect and they almost seem to place more value on the pladtic than the book itself.

FWIW, I sold a DC Comics Presents CGC 9.6 WP for $285 at a show a few months back.The holder had some rainbow smudging to it, and the top right corner of the very book itself actually seemed like it was not positioned correctly in the inner holder when encapsulated.

Even so, the buyer was happy with the book, and the price, and he looked the comic over very closely before buying it.

Some buyers are "picky", some are not.

I do not know if you remember but things like this came up and I had mentioned it to Vinny when we were at the Metro meet and greet last March. There is obviously only so far that one can take it in terms of acceptability of defect but the case and the mylar to come into play in regards to collectability / desire to purchase and customer service respectfully.

For instance, obviously I cracked slab is unacceptable and should be disclosed or the book reslabbed when it is offered for sale. However, how far does one go in regards to a blemish or when the mylar is sticking to the case. I had brought up something that I still stand by. While we were there I had mentioned to Vinny that I was disappointed after winning a book from CLink for a couple of grand and received the slabbed book in a tattered mylar sleeve. (It had multiple tear holes across the entire bag but everything else was fine.) He asked me why it mattered since everything else was fine. I stand by the following. If I am spending $2500 with you, I don't see how a tattered bag is allowed on a slab. If I am going to your restaurant, I am going to be disappointed if I am eating a fantastic meal with dirty utensils or on a dirty tablecloth.

Thoughts?

As a dealer, I agree. Pretty much all of my raw books get mailed in new Mylars and most of my CGC graded books are in new holders.

As a collector, I really don't care myself. I re-Mylar anything I want to keep and I'm not bothered by the CGC holder, even on an expensive book. If it bothers me I'll reholder it myself as I believe the CGC holder is just a delivery system.

It doesn't bother me in the least if the bag isn't new. Unless the book is immediately going to Tony, every book that I receive goes in a new bag right away anyway. I want the book to have MY bag, with MY tape, with the tape positioned MY way. (Is that OCD behavior?)

If the bag arrives with 2 pieces of tape ...ugh...it goes in a new bag regardless of where it's going. I HATE 2 pieces of tape. That and those CL stickers.

...and this paddle game. That's all I need.

Respect the book. Respect the customer.

How can a new bag be too much trouble or outside of regular business practice? Much of comic book collecting and appreciation revolves around the acknowledgement of the importance of detail. (shrug)