• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think I just got scammed with this Spider-Man #1 CGC 7.0?

63 posts in this topic

Just saw this book listed today on EBay and thought it was a good price. Maybe too good? Spidey #1 CGC 7.0 Decided to buy it and it appears to be a legit seller. Anyone think this could be a scam? Saw the feedback for this seller and haven't seen any other large dollar items sold. GPA shows this book has sold numerous times in the last few years. Would anyone be nervous about this transaction? I've been looking for a nice Spidey #1 for over a year so I'm hoping this is for real :wishluck:

The signs point to a scam - no feedback for over a year, no previous sales of comic books (let alone pricey ones). It's at a price that doesn't scream "too good to be true" but it's close, which is probably the idea (GPA is @ $10K for this book in this grade). Plus this particular book, according to GPA, sold at nearly $8K in June, which means the seller would be taking a $1K loss instead of a $2K gain, which does seem very unlikely, especially for a white paged copy with no chipping.

I spoke to PayPal and they have assured me that I am protected if the item does not arrive or is switched for a different book. I also received an email from the buyer who says he/she will be sending me tracking info and is requesting positive feedback once received. Hoping I don't end up with a box filled with newspaper clippings :(

Doubt it.

The only other thing they've sold recently is an AF #15 for $5,988.00, with a completely different type of picture, a camera photo on the floor. I'd check to see if the ASM #1 is a scan lifted from Heritage or elsewhere, but need to get junior to bed.

Doubt it.

The only other thing they've sold recently is an AF #15 for $5,988.00, with a completely different type of picture, a camera photo on the floor. I'd check to see if the ASM #1 is a scan lifted from Heritage or elsewhere, but need to get junior to bed.

Couldn't find it. Could you provide a link?

Doubt it.

Spoke to EBay who say this seller registered in 1999 but they can not disclose any other info on them. EBay also assured me I'm protected via EBay Buyer Protection. Not sure why the seller would try this scam now after 16 years on EBay? Very strange.

Doubt it.

Couldn't find it. Could you provide a link?

Linky.

Doubt it.

Spoke to EBay who say this seller registered in 1999 but they can not disclose any other info on them. EBay also assured me I'm protected via EBay Buyer Protection. Not sure why the seller would try this scam now after 16 years on EBay? Very strange.

The account may have been hacked, it's not unheard of.

Doubt it.

The account may have been hacked, it's not unheard of.

That's what I'm starting to think. How odd they haven't sold anything in over a year and now they've got a AF 15 and Spidey 1 for sale. Wondering if I should just contact PayPal to void the transaction or wait it out and file a dispute when the item doesn't arrive?

Doubt it.

Couldn't find an image for this book on Heritage or ComicLink (shrug)

Seriously, it's not worth the risk. The telltale signs are there for this to be a scam. I was even on the end of one of these about a year back and know how big of a hassle it is to get your money back. In my case, the guy uploaded a tracking number and sent "something" to an address (but not my address) in my zip code, so on eBay it showed as "delivered" to my zip code, even though I never received the item. Of course I was protected by eBay/PayPal when I told them it wasn't sent to my address, but I was nervous for several days while the dispute process played out and I wasn't sure if I would get my money back or not.

This EXACT scam has been going on on eBay for at least a year, and your book matches up perfectly with the typical signs:

-Apparent stolen scan.

-Priced at about 70% of FMV, so it's not so cheap that it screams "scam" but it's cheap enough that no seller would ever price it that low.

-Very old eBay account, with ZERO selling activity for over a year and no history of selling comics. So you think "well this guy has been on eBay for 15+ years, why would HE scam me?" That's what they want you to think, it was very likely a hacked account.

-And of course AF 15 is the most scam-happy book on eBay, and the fact that he's listed an AF 15 along with two other key CGC books isn't making me any more confident.

I'd say 95% chance it's a scam. Is it worth the aggravation for a 1 in 20 chance of it being legit? I'd say no!

Looks like a 3rd comic was sold 12/4. http://www.ebay.com/sch/inetshoppingnetwork/m.html?item=252213326788&rmvSB=true&nma=true&hash=item3ab915f3c4%3Ag%3AhngAAOSw5IJWb2UD&orig_cvip=true&si=KMLwpys76bomJFxuz42KEzpa4Kc%253D&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

eBay hasn't done anyone any favors by masking the feedback. I used to be able to look and see if the buyer left a positive for a specific book, but it's very difficult now.

Agree with you. Don't need the headache and aggravation. I did happen to receive a very prompt email from the seller after the purchase:

"Hello Andrew, your book will be very carefully packaged for safe shipment and shipped within 2-3 business days. I will contact you with the tracking information as soon as it becomes available. Please leave me feedback once your book arrives in satisfactory condition. Your feedback is very important to me. I have a return policy if needed. Thank you."

- inetshoppingnetwork"

Agree with you. Don't need the headache and aggravation. I did happen to receive a very prompt email from the seller after the purchase:

"Hello Andrew, your book will be very carefully packaged for safe shipment and shipped within 2-3 business days. I will contact you with the tracking information as soon as it becomes available. Please leave me feedback once your book arrives in satisfactory condition. Your feedback is very important to me. I have a return policy if needed. Thank you."

- inetshoppingnetwork"

sounds very generic and most likley a scam :eyeroll: ... I dont even bother with "deals" like this cause its almost always just a big headache. and 7k is a big headache.

good luck though with whatever route you choose!