• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective #27 vs. Marvel #1

43 posts in this topic

Alright - where's Hammer?

You owe me a glass of water now.

The 8.5 Marvel #1 sold for $126,500 - less than half of what the 8.0 Detective #27 sold for a year ago.

Still think that Marvel #1 is worth more than Detective #27?

Worth more in what way? Detective 27 introduced one of the most famous superheros ever. How many people on the street have heard of the Submariner of the Human Torch as opposed to Batman?

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse on this argument...

I still don't see why you are always saying the PayCopy is a 7.5 - is it all the writing? It is structurally a very nice copy and the cover gloss is fantastic.

If 9.0 is pushing it, it is certainly a solid 8.5

I don't even want to know what you think the Silver Streak PayCopy will come back at. I'll make a mental note to make sure it gets sent in through Heritage

so it can get a better grade.

But the fact is Detective #27 is just more important than Marvel #1 and the prices

that the comparable copies bring proves this out.

I still don't see why you are always saying the PayCopy is a 7.5 - is it all the writing?

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I know the writing is historically important........but that's like saying........."I don't see why you are saying this is only a 7.5........is it all the black marker drawing of cars that I did on the cover?".

I would MUCH rather have a plain, clean 9.0 copy of that book than that butt ugly pay copy.

Just finished reading CBG's weekly newsletter. This week they are at the Heritage auction in NYC. They quote Bill Hughes as saying that after purchasing the Marvel #1 in the auction, Jay Parrino's The Mint now has the top 3 graded copies.

Chalk it up to defect pet peeves. To me, it doesn't matter who plastered the majority of the front cover with pencil writing, most probably leaving pencil point TRACKS, even if the graphite was "magically" eradicated, INDENTED into the surface of the Marvel 1 PayCopy cover. It doesn't matter if it was Goodman, Stan Lee, or Bruce Lee. It's THERE, it's ugly, and according to Overstreet grading guidelines, the book cannot possibly be a VF, *Hence I'm calling it a VF-, because it is structurally sound and PROBABLY would be a 9.0 IF the penciling from hell wasn't there. BUT, it IS there. I don't like writing or stamps on covers. Check my auctions. NONE of them have writing on the covers, illustrating my personal pet peeve. The Pay Marvel 1 is the Grand Poobah of writing on the cover. The definitive example of just how much writing could be fit onto a comic cover. It has more writing on the cover than any other book I have EVER seen graded better than VG by CGC.

Have to agree with Hammer on this one.

Sure the Pay Copy of Marvel #1 is historically significant and some collectors will pay a premium for that. But as far as the ACTUAL GRADE of the book goes, it can't be a VF with that much writing on the cover. Overstreet guidelines allow for date stamps/arrival dates in the VF grade but that is all. The pay copy of Marvel #1 has a virtual essay on the front cover.

As for Det #27 vs Marvel #1 values, it had the be Detective. 1st appearance of a cultural icon.

...and you can believe that the next argument you hear as to why the Pay Marvel 1 should be a VF/NM with the 100 word essay on the front cover is going to include a reference to Provenance and Pedigree. For example, "Then how can a Church collection book with writing on the cover be a VF?". But this is like comparing apples and hand grenades. 1 name on a cover (Larson, D+ a number, Church, etc.) is a whole different ballgame than SCRIPTURE and the accompanying TRACK marks that occur from the pressure of the pencil point embossing the surface of the delicate paper. A name, a date stamp, a number, usually placed in a non-distractive area is FAR more innocuous as an indicator of provenance/pedigree than the huge amount of writing that the Pay Marvel 1 bears. NO comparison to the more famous and generally accepted Golden age Pedigrees.

But as far as the ACTUAL GRADE of the book goes, it can't be a VF with that much writing on the cover.

Agree with Blowout and Hammer here. If we are talking Grade, then grade standards MUST be conformed to. The issue here is that Grade alone does not impact a book's value. Historical importance does as well. And a pay copy (of which I only was recently educated about) is definitely of major importance. And the price should reflect not the grade but the book's status as a pay copy.

That's cool.

So I guess this means that you'd actually grade the Silver Streak paycopy higher since it just has a very small "paycopy" notation nicely put at the top of the cover of the title logo.

I just wonder if CGC did take the writing into account when grading - especially on the Motion Picture Funnies. It is structurally near perfect - at least a solid 9.4, yet it got a 9.0 also and doens't have near the amount of writing on the cover. The Marvel has perfect sharp right edges, and a strong top spine, with just a slight ding at the bottom spine.

I did think it interesting the news that the owner of the CGC 8.5 Action #1 was the high bidder on the CGC 5.5 Action #1 this weekend. I said awhile ago that I thought that Action was as a solid 5.5 comic as I had ever seen.

I haven't heard a price at all for the Marvel #9 though - does anyone know what it went for?