• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bone Tomahawk

44 posts in this topic

I'm a half-hour in and loving it. Everything top notch, the acting, the writing, the cinematography, even the sound-effects editing of someone running down a hill or chair scraping across a pine floor is pitch perfect. A lot of love went into this movie. Nice to see Richard Jenkins in something again too (I almost bought The Witches of Eastwick today, but settled on The Corpse Bride). David Arquette being not as annoying is a huge plus also.

I had to stop it with a little under two hours to go. It was too atmospheric of a movie to watch tonight (being a somewhat optimistic New Years Eve). I'll save it for Saturday night. I wish my father was still around to enjoy this one. We had a Native American anthropologist in our family tree (FG Speck) and the moody environment matches his writings.

Finished it last night.

• Story: I liked it! Not for your average Western story viewer, as there are some really gruesome scenes. But definitely worth watching.

• Category: Although meant to be a Western, I'd have to call this Horror-Western due to the content. There are just some brutal scenes.

• Cast: I think they did a great job landing the actors that they did. Kurt Russell is a given. He helps make the movie. But the other headliners and supporting cast sure make this total package shine.

- Matthew Fox: I liked him in Lost, and always felt he could do much more than just the good guy role. And in this movie, he proves that. Someone with a very dark past, but doing what he can to make up for these things through this adventure.

- Richard Jenkins: The deputy that adds slight lightheartedness to the movie. He fit the role well.

- Patrick Wilson: This is a fellow that really should be seen more in movies. His work in Season Two of 'Fargo' was fantastic. He definitely makes his role in this film work.

- Lili Simmons: An actor that really stood out in Cinemax's 'Banshee' series, she adds just enough to the role where you can understand why she is the love interest of both Wilson and Fox. She replaced the original actress meant to be in this role (Jennifer Carpenter from 'Dexter), which I think was great luck as she made the role fit the story better.

- Zahn McClarnon: Only appears briefly in a bar scene as The Professor, this actor will probably be seen more in the future after his 'Fargo Season Two' Hanzee Dent role. It was interesting to see him back with Patrick Wilson after being on opposite sides in that TV series.

• Visuals & Location: Even this adds to the overall package. When I watched the featurette included on disc, I was surprised to find out this was shot at the Paramount Ranch. They made it look like it was shot at a place like the Mohave Desert, it felt so vast and secluded.

• Overall: 4/5 Stars

Finished it last night.

• Story: I liked it! Not for your average Western story viewer, as there are some really gruesome scenes. But definitely worth watching.

• Category: Although meant to be a Western, I'd have to call this Horror-Western due to the content. There are just some brutal scenes.

• Cast: I think they did a great job landing the actors that they did. Kurt Russell is a given. He helps make the movie. But the other headliners and supporting cast sure make this total package shine.

- Matthew Fox: I liked him in Lost, and always felt he could do much more than just the good guy role. And in this movie, he proves that. Someone with a very dark past, but doing what he can to make up for these things through this adventure.

- Richard Jenkins: The deputy that adds slight lightheartedness to the movie. He fit the role well.

- Patrick Wilson: This is a fellow that really should be seen more in movies. His work in Season Two of 'Fargo' was fantastic. He definitely makes his role in this film work.

- Lili Simmons: An actor that really stood out in Cinemax's 'Banshee' series, she adds just enough to the role where you can understand why she is the love interest of both Wilson and Fox. She replaced the original actress meant to be in this role (Jennifer Carpenter from 'Dexter), which I think was great luck as she made the role fit the story better.

- Zahn McClarnon: Only appears briefly in a bar scene as The Professor, this actor will probably be seen more in the future after his 'Fargo Season Two' Hanzee Dent role. It was interesting to see him back with Patrick Wilson after being on opposite sides in that TV series.

• Visuals & Location: Even this adds to the overall package. When I watched the featurette included on disc, I was surprised to find out this was shot at the Paramount Ranch. They made it look like it was shot at a place like the Mohave Desert, it felt so vast and secluded.

• Overall: 4/5 Stars

Agreed on all points. I was not going into this movie thinking it would be memorable. I came out of it with an instant classic.

Where were you all in October when I told you all that this movie was flesh rippin' awesome!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=372866&Number=8942333#Post8942333

I swear... Rupp is always on the cutting edge :D

xxx ooo

Rupp

Yes. But did you wave your hand over the keyboard after posting the information?

fedex-moving-arm-o.gif

Love this commercial!

OK, I finished it.

I wasn't expecting the quality, that was crafted in this film.

This $1.8 million movie really was a stunner. The cast really carried it on their shoulders proudly because they knew magic was being made. I loved how there was no cg in this movie and it was all pratical effects. It added a level of grittiness that has been missing in most bloated A-list productions recently. Great ending to a movie that slowly built up to it. Only if they added the deleted scene would it have felt like a cheat. Nice to see Sean Young again. I was thinking about her Rachael character from Blade Runner after watching Ex-Machina only the night before. Thus making this film all the more cosmically fulfilling. Although this is a genre film of many sorts, I could see an Oscar campaign for Richard Jenkins for his flea circus monologue alone.

Three and a half stars out of four.

I can see rewatching this for many years down the road.

Watch this movie.

You're welcome.

Looks pretty good, I'll check it out.

The premise reminds me of Ravenous and if you haven't seen it, you should:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0129332/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_42

Western cannibalism and Guy Pearce at his best.....

Right up there with Memento,LA Confidential, The Road and The Hurt Locker.

Robert Carlyle is absolutely brilliant in this too.....and David Arquette is also pretty damn good.