• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calling All Wannabe Comic Book Editors!

74 posts in this topic

Green for sure.

If you need any story editing I've done a ton.

Common mistakes I encounter are: no well defined goal. Antagonist that is one dimensional. (I'm going to rule the world! This is a very weak motivation). Cutesy dialogue. Protagonists that are Wolverine personality clones. Plot driven rather than character driven stories. Bland characters even with planets exploding equals bland story. Interesting character merely brushing his teeth equals interesting story. Characters not using each other's names. I've read entire books where no one uses any names-reader has no idea who anyone is.

Have I ever sent you a copy of MY book kav ?? I'd be curious as to what you would say about it ..... hm

Your book is a more of a satirical deal and the rules aren't so strict for something like that-I'm sure it's just fine.

The New Year period was extra busy this year but I'm finally back to announce that the final score of this cover color survey is 13 votes for the green cover versus 5 votes for the orange cover. The Green version will be the cover for Startup #1.2. Thanks so much for helping me figure out which one to use for this awesome Sal Buscema cover.

And if you're interested in more Startup stuff, two days ago, Startup #1.1 debuted on Comixology.com . It's written by TV writer Darin Henry (Seinfeld, Futurama) with art by Craig Rousseau (Impulse, Harley Quinn), colors by Glenn Whitmore (Superman), lettered by Marshall Dillon, and it's only $1.99!!!!

StartUp_01_DIGITAL-23_zpsdr5ug0si.jpg

StartUp_01_DIGITAL-24_zpsa0gc0uii.jpg

I like the art but more variety of camera angles and distances and some backgrounds would improve things considerably. I try to get 2 overhead shots per page. Also go easy on the exposition-show, don't tell, as they say.

Because magenta is a primary color, it cannot be made by mixing other colors. Mixing magenta and yellow in various proportions makes a whole range of reds and oranges. Mixing magenta and cyan in different proportions makes a whole range of blues and purples.

If you can mix red, it is not a primary color for pigment. There are also colors that you can not mix using red. Let's start with magenta itself. You can not mix the yellow out of red to create magenta.

+1

Primary colors are Cyan, Magenta and Yellow (not red, blue and yellow - however these are more commonly used because they are simpler to work from by hand).

(thumbs u

Looks like green is starting to make its move! 6-2 in its favor! And I will go with whatever this forum decides for the final cover, so vote with confidence.

@fmaz, the logo will be the same color as issue 1's cover logo, so let that affect your vote.

@com1cbook, it's a thrilling thing to be publishing comics! I'm like a kid with a new toy every time a new page of art arrives. I hear what you're saying about the logos but the horse is already out of the barn on those two fronts. Every release will have the same trade dress, etc. Here's a couple other covers from the Sitcomics line to show you what I mean.

SuperSucker_01_DIGITAL-1_zps4ddq4nru.jpg

BlueBaron_DIGITAL-1_zpsajmgb2fc.jpg

BlueBaron_02_Cover_LowRez_zpsqv1kliop.jpg

That's one thing you don't see much anymore, word balloons on the cover.

@Gatchaman, I think the big companies see word balloons as old-fashioned. Of course, most of their characters are between fifty and seventy-five years old. When your characters are only a few weeks old, old-fashioned isn't such a bad thing. I personally love dialogue on the cover because it gives the comic store browsers a slightly better idea of who these new characters are!

It's interesting, and might sound like hair-splitting, but the gradient effect on the green and blue cieling is one of the reasons (IMHO) they pop more than the orange. If you apply the same gradient effect that allows the back wall colour to blend into the cieling, the orange will pop just as much.

I still like Orange, but I'm biased. It's my favourite colour :)

Things really change over the years, lol. When I went to art school (which I admit was a million years ago;) l, we didn't deal with printing processes, so the primary colors were red, blue and Yellow...ask Crayola;)

Printing is obviously different.

What probably has not changed is green was a receding color, which meant it was better for backgrounds (usually) and Dr's offices, etc. It allows the characters to pop more.

They are both nice, but the orange one seems to melt together too much for me... I'd change the pink trail in both of them and see how that works.

I think that it just might make a difference. Maybe lighten it, darken it, or use more yellow, that is a color that does not recede ? You'd have to fool around a bit. I wish I were good enough with photo shop to give you an example, but there seems to be too much of one color with the costume and huge trail being almost the same. The art is nice.

Good luck!