• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calling All Wannabe Comic Book Editors!

74 posts in this topic

So I've started a comic book publishing company, financed in part by selling my entire collection of Silver/Bronze/Copper Age comics. Things are going well with seven titles in various stages of production, but I'm having a cover color conundrum and I'd love any and all of you knowledgeable CGC forum readers to weigh in.

Here's the cover by Sal Buscema. Simple question: which is better?

Startup01_coverA_zpsuzwklhxf.jpg

Startup01_coverB_zpsbqyhsupf.jpg

So which pops more? Orange or Green?

This pic is going to be the cover of the second issue of a new super-hero comic book called Startup. Issue 2 is scheduled to go on sale digitally in early February and hopefully your feedback will help me solve my cover color conundrum.

And in case you were wondering, the first digital issue, Startup # 1.1, is already on sale at Amazon's Kindle Store and will also be at comixology.com starting next Wednesday.

Here's the premise: When news footage showing her humiliating rescue by a super-hero goes viral, 300 pound single mom Renee Garcia-Gibson agrees to try an experimental diet drug. But the drastic change to her metabolism comes with the unexpected side-effect: it gives Renee super-speed! It's written by me, Darin Henry (Seinfeld, Futurama) and drawn by Craig Rousseau (Batman Beyond, Harley Quinn). Here's Craig Rousseau's cover for issue 1.

StartUp_01_CVR_PROMO_zpscpy3ant3.jpg

Green for sure.

If you need any story editing I've done a ton.

Common mistakes I encounter are: no well defined goal. Antagonist that is one dimensional. (I'm going to rule the world! This is a very weak motivation). Cutesy dialogue. Protagonists that are Wolverine personality clones. Plot driven rather than character driven stories. Bland characters even with planets exploding equals bland story. Interesting character merely brushing his teeth equals interesting story. Characters not using each other's names. I've read entire books where no one uses any names-reader has no idea who anyone is.

I feel the green pops more. Yet is it a requirement at this stage to have the entire room either green or orange? I feel a white ceiling and or different color floor may break up the heaviness of either one of those colors and allow for the art to pop even more. it's not too often I walk into a room that's floor to ceiling all the same color, but it's never a soothing feeling to me when I do.

A completely white room may be something to play around with. As it would allow the logo and character to jump off the page a bit more.

Just my 2c

Whatever you decide, good luck and congrats on the new business adventure!

This is awesome, guys! I really enjoy reading the reasons behind the choices! Fascinating and really well thought out!

So my tally is now 3 for green, 2 for orange (and 1 for blue or both combined but I think I'll leave those to one side for the time being)

I strongly dislike when people are asked to chose between A and B and chose C....and yet, I do think you'd be better served with gray/white walls. Let the colors from the costumes and your masthead pop. Otherwise either orange or green will dominate, neither of which are your part of your brand.

Honestly, there is nothing more heart stoppingly thrilling to me than the prospect of a new comic book startup. Best of luck!

The choice of Green or Orange really depends on what color scheme you decide for the logo, assuming that it will dominate the top third.

Since you are asking for advice...

The art and color are fantastic. I really wouldn't change anything there.

I would hire a couple different designers to provide proposals for redesigning all of the elements of your cover, including a redesign of both the STARTUP and SIT logos. The whole design scheme put together needs some work and is not making the most of the great art and coloring.

Mediocre DESIGN can negate the impact of brilliant art. And although the cover art will change from issue to issue, your design elements are a common thread that visually unite the whole run. Mediocrity on a single issue's cover art lasts only until the next ish. Mediocrity overlooked in your design impacts every issue.

BEST OF LUCK!

Please keep us updated.

Looks like green is starting to make its move! 6-2 in its favor! And I will go with whatever this forum decides for the final cover, so vote with confidence.

@fmaz, the logo will be the same color as issue 1's cover logo, so let that affect your vote.

@com1cbook, it's a thrilling thing to be publishing comics! I'm like a kid with a new toy every time a new page of art arrives. I hear what you're saying about the logos but the horse is already out of the barn on those two fronts. Every release will have the same trade dress, etc. Here's a couple other covers from the Sitcomics line to show you what I mean.

SuperSucker_01_DIGITAL-1_zps4ddq4nru.jpg

BlueBaron_DIGITAL-1_zpsajmgb2fc.jpg

BlueBaron_02_Cover_LowRez_zpsqv1kliop.jpg

So far, one vote for each. Fingers crossed, the final tally isn't quite so close!

You asked which popped more.

Green is further from the purple spectrum than orange is.

You didn't ask which one people liked more. ;)

So far, one vote for each. Fingers crossed, the final tally isn't quite so close!

You asked which popped more.

Green is further from the purple spectrum than orange is.

You didn't ask which one people liked more. ;)

No wait its closer-ROYGBIV

You're right and I worded that wrong.

I was leaning towards this:

Orange and pink are derivative of the color Red. Green isn't.

159662.jpg.24372db5f05ead84b54cd64f62f13a4b.jpg