• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC war comics: where to begin?

103 posts in this topic

[font:Comic Sans MS]

I have been working on Our Army at War 80-113 for the past 10 years.... Still need one more book to finish the run[/font]

Way to go! Which book, Mike?

Looking for #104 in F or better to complete the run... I always focused on the early issues thinking the later issues would be easier... 104 & 105 were the last two books I needed for the last 2-3 years. I cant believe how difficult they have been. I found a 105 which is lower grade than I would like but presents well enough. Now it's just 104.

Metropolis has one on ebay right now. Seems a little pricey. Maybe not though if it's so hard to find

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OUR-ARMY-AT-WAR-104-FN-6-/252095403559?hash=item3ab20e9627:g:4SgAAOSwiLdV-2Is

Don't buy that book. It looks too ugly for a Fine 6.0 and it's cover is detached. 2c

Buying raw books from Metro is a last resort because their grading is usually overly exuberant. If you do feel compelled to buy from them, go to their site and make them an offer, rather than buying from them on eBay.

Yeah, I've been disappointed too many times by Metro's grading. Once in a while, good, but too often, not so good, and that's being kind.

the funniest thing is that on their site the book is only $61 (plus 8-$10 postage), instead of the $112 they want on ebay... lol Is it worth $61 + postage with a detached cover? You should NEVER buy a book from Metro on ebay because the book is always cheaper on their website...same goes for My Comic Shop...

It's a $10-20 book at the very best. 2c

I jumed into DC Big 5 with 2 feet. I came across a book that I had to have and then began collecting war books from that day on. To this day it is still the most expensive war book I ever bought...

Since that book I have focused on early Sgt Rock appearances, frogman covers, and grey tone covers. I ended up selling the greytones to focus on the rocks. I wish I found a way to hold on to the greytones because many of the books I sold I have never seen for sale again...

Happy Hunting!

Agreed, all great advice. And if you ever get bored, you may find yourself picking up things like this:

P28T5Ish.jpg

Great page!

Or something like this :grin:

GIC273Glanzman.jpg

Or this.

Heath%20E1T%202-3_zpsnwvkv66p.jpg

That is awesome. :cloud9:

I think Jeffro, AndyG, and me tend to be on the younger end of war collectors. Speaking for myself, I'm 45. In terms of investments, I don't see most war comics as particularly strong long-term investments because, unless something remarkable happens, most of the collectors of this genre will be well past retirement or their families will be selling their collections post-mortem (that's MY plan anyway). There are new collectors coming in, but probably not in the numbers necessary to create a significant demand for the runs and--like I said before, unless something unforeseen happens--more will be exiting war comics than entering in the coming decades.

Yes, there will always be collectors who want a key or a certain book. That GIC 104 that Andy posted is relatively available in all but the highest grades, but it's definitely been a sought-after one more so than the surrounding issues. Eventually, for books like that, the demand will outstrip the supply and it'll probably ALWAYS be a sought-after copy regardless of how vibrant the war collectors base is. This will be true of the obvious things like OAAW 83-112, 128, 151, GIC 87-100ish, OFF 45, SSWS 84-100, the perty thirty, and select covers peppered throughout the Big-5 runs.

I don't have a crystal ball, but that's the way it appears from my standpoint.

Great analysis Mick. I think (sadly) that you're spot on. I am hoping that you're proven wrong though. ;)

I've given a lot of thought recently to really paring down my collection and keeping only big keys and reading copies

You have my address. I'll hold everything for you while you figure it out.

I'm still waiting on a GI Combat 81 from blazinbob, but for now, this is my initial foray. I'm content with low grade copies, and I look forward to reading these. I've almost finished the Rick Atkinson trilogy on WW II (history buffs for WWII, that trilogy is outstanding, go read it!) and look forward to reading these comics. Of course, thumbing through, I see on the splash page of one comic a Jeep jumping a German tank, but heck, I bought comics, not historical depictions, dammit!

I was happy to grab three grey tones on sale as well as the Haunted Tank origin. I read a lot of Haunted Tank stories as a kid, and I've read about the origin of the HT, but I haven't read the origin of it. And yes, I see the appeal of a Grandanetti cover. :)

2IxeCOXm.jpg

91Zbz3Ym.jpg

hepnxuBm.jpg

If9tkJHm.jpg

Love those covers. Great interior art and stories as well.

Wat books look better with some damage on them anyway.

I'm still waiting on a GI Combat 81 from blazinbob, but for now, this is my initial foray. I'm content with low grade copies, and I look forward to reading these. I've almost finished the Rick Atkinson trilogy on WW II (history buffs for WWII, that trilogy is outstanding, go read it!) and look forward to reading these comics. Of course, thumbing through, I see on the splash page of one comic a Jeep jumping a German tank, but heck, I bought comics, not historical depictions, dammit!

I was happy to grab three grey tones on sale as well as the Haunted Tank origin. I read a lot of Haunted Tank stories as a kid, and I've read about the origin of the HT, but I haven't read the origin of it. And yes, I see the appeal of a Grandanetti cover. :)

2IxeCOXm.jpg

91Zbz3Ym.jpg

hepnxuBm.jpg

If9tkJHm.jpg

Wat books look better with some damage on them anyway.

I wouldn't say "better", but I also wouldn't say they look bad. :cloud9:

War books look better with some damage on them anyway.

You mean like a bullet hole?

That would look awesome.

Send me your books and I will test it out.

2IxeCOXm.jpg

91Zbz3Ym.jpg

hepnxuBm.jpg

If9tkJHm.jpg

I wouldn't say "better", but I also wouldn't say they look bad. :cloud9:

Better. :sumo:

What a great thread.

I love war comics. I had a pretty extensive collection of silver and bronze war books, and wound up selling many a few years ago when - frankly - I realized that I was just spending too much money. Selling them was a bit tough, but it was the right thing for me at that time.

Where to begin?

If I was starting from zero, a fun and challenging thing to do would be to go after the DC war 48/52 pagers from the early 1970s. Aside from incredible main stories (Sgt. Rock and Haunted Tank by Kanigher/Heath/Kubert; Losers by drawn by Severin; Unknown Solider tales by Kubert and Jack Sparling; Early Weird War issues, etc.), you also get some great back up tales (USS Stevens, Bob Kanigher's Gallery of War, etc.) AND you get some choice reprints.

If you want to go for really nice copies, they can be hard and expensive. But if you want mid-grades or readers, they're cheap and cheerful. Lots on ebay come up, and you can snag a bunch at once.

That's just one suggestion. Truthfully, from just about any era you can't go wrong. These are some of the finest comics ever to roll off the press.

Enjoy!

Shep

You mean like a bullet hole?

That would look awesome.

Send me your books and I will test it out.

Sad Sacks coming your way

This is my biggest war acquisition yet. Of course, I don't have any other significant acquisitions beyond a Russ Heath sig raw Our Fighting Force. I wasn't looking for the book, and when I ran across it, I wasn't sure about it. After all, it ain't pretty not in the traditional sense. But that missing remainder portion and the Rock and the Wall exposed on the splash page gives the book a peculiar attraction. Besides, the census show just over 120 copies of this book. This is my first copy of it, a beginner copy. I've never bought a book thinking it'd be a starter copy, until now. This one, ah yes.....mother effing bread crumbs. :)

SkUZqvRl.jpg

ZLCSqS9l.jpg

This is my biggest war acquisition yet. Of course, I don't have any other significant acquisitions beyond a Russ Heath sig raw Our Fighting Force. I wasn't looking for the book, and when I ran across it, I wasn't sure about it. After all, it ain't pretty not in the traditional sense. But that missing remainder portion and the Rock and the Wall exposed on the splash page gives the book a peculiar attraction. Besides, the census show just over 120 copies of this book. This is my first copy of it, a beginner copy. I've never bought a book thinking it'd be a starter copy, until now. This one, ah yes.....mother effing bread crumbs. :)

SkUZqvRl.jpg

ZLCSqS9l.jpg

Very cool! :applause:

[font:Comic Sans MS]

I have been working on Our Army at War 80-113 for the past 10 years.... Still need one more book to finish the run[/font]

Way to go! Which book, Mike?

Looking for #104 in F or better to complete the run... I always focused on the early issues thinking the later issues would be easier... 104 & 105 were the last two books I needed for the last 2-3 years. I cant believe how difficult they have been. I found a 105 which is lower grade than I would like but presents well enough. Now it's just 104.

Metropolis has one on ebay right now. Seems a little pricey. Maybe not though if it's so hard to find

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OUR-ARMY-AT-WAR-104-FN-6-/252095403559?hash=item3ab20e9627:g:4SgAAOSwiLdV-2Is

Never mind. Detached cover on this one. :(

I think they may be nuts.... Read their response via eBay:

New message from: metropoliscomics (4,760Red Star)

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out, happy to explain this technique in grading. Our graders are Overstreet advisers and are aware of this new development in the practice of grading.

A little back story. After the meeting of advisers regarding this fished, the decision came to implement this new action in grading. We highly opposed this because it made no sense what so ever.

Basically put, We grade the book as it appears and qualify it otherwise if there is a major flaw, much like restoration. This book appears to be a 6.0. but definitely is not a 2.0 condition based on all outwardly appearance, but there is one qualified flaw, the cover is detached. The CEO of our company invented the grading scale and this is how he chooses us to grade. Eventually, like all things in a subjective practice, this will change.

I hope this helps explain our actions. I can assure you the book is priced accordingly.

Cheers,

--

Brandon-Pierce

Account Executive

Metropolis Collectibles, Inc.

& ComicConnect, Corp.

36 W 37 ST, Fl. 6

New York, NY 10018

Ph: 888.779.7377

Fx: 212.260.4304

www.metropoliscomics.com

www.comicconnect.com

www.metropolisgallerynyc.com

SkUZqvRl.jpg

ZLCSqS9l.jpg

You have nothing to LOSE! It is still awesome.

I remember about 7 years ago. CGC Census showed less than 35 copies for OAAW #83. Now it is growing. Thanks to Keith Marlow.

SkUZqvRl.jpg

ZLCSqS9l.jpg

Nice book! I was in the same boat a couple of months ago when I bought my copy. I figured may as well get it now, its not getting any cheaper.

SkUZqvRl.jpg

ZLCSqS9l.jpg

You have nothing to LOSE! It is still awesome.

I remember about 7 years ago. CGC Census showed less than 35 copies for OAAW #83. Now it is growing. Thanks to Keith Marlow.

lol