• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green Lantern 59 (undervalued or overvalued)

33 posts in this topic

Just wondering what the Silver Age DC experts out there think of Green Lantern 59 (1st Guy Gardner). It guides at $250 in NM which is the same as GL 76, however high grade copies don't seem to sell for anywhere near GL 76. According to the census, they are almost as hard to find in high grade (though there is a 9.8 and 9.6 of GL 59).

GL 76 in CGC 9.2 sell for $750 to $1000 (3x to 4x guide) while GL 59 in CGC 9.2 sell for between $300 and $350 (less than 1 and 1/2 times guide).

Your thoughts and insights are appreciated.

Well, GL 59 used to be hot when I originally bought a copy in the mid-1990s. However, I sold my CGC 9.0 copy for only $175 last year. GL 76 will always be in demand and is so hard to find in nice condition. When CGC first started, a local store owner said that a 9.4 would be worth more than $1,000. I never believed him until I realized that no one really offers high grades for sale. Too bad I was not as diligent on obtaining a high grade issue in the 1990s. However, just received an EMAIL from Comiclink that someone put in a buy order for my Spidey 101 at my asking price of $4,500. Thanks for Supapimp for recommending that I use that outrageous price. Pretty good for a book a repurchase at guide earlier this year. The only book that I have ever repurchased! shocked.gif

I think myself that Green lantern 59 is overvalued, I remember when it first started to become a key issue, with Guy Gardner making alot of apearances in other titles,

but now he is just a extra as far as I can tell, and well 76 undervalued, but you know that, 27_laughing.gif, great cover, Neal Adams art the begining of Green Arrow and Green Lantern series, always in demand, I have sold FN copies above guide in auctions before now, any 9.0's or above i'll give you guide, 27_laughing.gif (I'll be lucky).

its just the shifting dynamic of what is in vogue. Guy Gardener is lessening in impact, while the 76 is gaining mythic status as an uber key. Since 76 has been a turning point book since it came out and has been sought after since day 1 it makes sense that time is only strengthening its case. If guy gardener ever really makes a comeback in a lasting way, then that book will jump too since so many people aren't caring right now and they will all have to find one.

oh and i second the opinion on tec #400, great book all around, adams, 1st man bat, anniversary issue, should be selling closer to 1st ras levels.

it does (and more) if there were any around. i let my 9.4 go a few months back.

As already said, if Guy Gardner were a hotter character now, that 1st appearance would be a little bit hotter... but... otherwise, the book sports a great cover, but I don't think of it as anymore than a minor key and clearly overvalued.

GL 76, definitely one of the landmark DCs out there, and should see significant increase in any price guide.

oh and i second the opinion on tec #400, great book all around, adams, 1st man bat, anniversary issue, should be selling closer to 1st ras levels.

it does (and more) if there were any around. i let my 9.4 go a few months back.

Detective 400 in 9.4 sells much higher than a Batman 232 in 9.4 - I would wager by a 2:1 ratio.

DAM

well that is encouraging, i haven't seen a NM for sale in some time, i guess i should have checked GPA before flapping my jaw! I always thought it was a tougher book, but no one seems to talk about it as much as the 232. I was happy to find a sharp VF recently for under guide, and thats the best raw one i saw in 2 years or so.

Forget all the other important stuff about GL 76. Considered one on the best stories ever written. (Drug issue) Very important book in the history of comics. GL59 is tough to find in high grade in my area and few NM ever show up. tongue.gif

There are a ton of high grade GL #59's available that just isn't the case with #76. Not to mention the fact that #59 was in one of the Super Paks. I would say that 76 is undervalued and 59 is actually a little high in the guide. Just my $0.02 Man I really need to get back to collecting Silver Age DCs!!!

Have a good rest of your weekend,

Eric

Guy Gardener is lessening in impact, while the 76 is gaining mythic status as an uber key. Since 76 has been a turning point book since it came out and has been sought after since day 1 it makes sense that time is only strengthening its case. If guy gardener ever really makes a comeback in a lasting way, then that book will jump too since so many people aren't caring right now and they will all have to find one.

Yeah, I think that's exactly right. No one cared about #59 at all until Guy Gardner became DC's badass in the early 1980s. Highwater mark was him replacing Hal Jordan in the Giffen-era Justice League International. Now the GL continuity is hopelessly screwed up, Guy is called something like "Warrior," and no one cares once again.

If the whole GL Corps concept ever gets revived, and Guy Gardner gets rehabilitated then maybe #59 would be in demand. But I'd swap any spare #59's I had for #76 all day long!

But y'know, I'd also trade #59 for #87, featuring the first appearance of John (Cartoon Network) Stewart, with the added bonus of Neal Adams art! gossip.gif

If the whole GL Corps concept ever gets revived...

Kyle Rayner is working on this one in the current story arc of the current run. He already has a few of the older corpsmen helping him out (Kilwog, Reemuz, Shilandra Thane) and there was mention of the corps at the end of issue 169. Of course, that conversation ended with "One step at a time" so I guess we will have to wait and see if a new corps will ever come about. One thing is for sure, the idea has been getting kicked around lately.

As for the issues in question, I would take an 87 over a 59 anyday. John Stewart still has a ring and is holding down the fort on earth while Kyle cleans up sector 2814, not to mention Stewart shows up regularly in the current JLA series. My opinion is biased though, I have never been much of a Guy Gardner fan anyway.

GL 59 Lets say 300 k print run. There is only 1 9.8 two 9.6s and 7 9.4s. So 10 super nice grades out of 300k( including all the multi packs that supposedly went out.), Given that I feel the GL 59 needs a bump in price. Of course the GL 76 is way undervalued also. foreheadslap.gif