• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The chase

9 posts in this topic

Is 9.8 really worth the prices they go for.

So when I first started on the CGC wagon, I made it a point to try and get nothing but 9.8's. Now after reading tnerbs journals, why isn't a 9.6 or 9.4 or even 9.0 just as good as a 9.8, aside from the obvious point difference in the CGC set manager. I mean honestly, I was able to get a Vol.2 Amazing Spider-Man #1 for 15 dollars and free shipping on auction at Ebay.

With that said my hunt for 9.8's only is over these comics are going to be in my collection not bought and resold I have enough of that stuff laying around now.

Thank you for reading

Phillip

17142.jpg

See more journals by pjallen080483

"Is 9.8 really worth the prices they go for"

I'd say most are, but some definitely aren't. There's obviously so many factors that go into pricing any book, but I think one thing that drives up asking prices on 9.8s especially are signatures. I've journaled (or tiraded depending on your point of view) about this very topic previously, but it's not hard to find an absurdly marked up book for sale solely because it has a yellow label.

In my own little corner of the collecting world, I routinely cringe at seeing random Wolverine issues priced anywhere from $500 to $1000 and up solely because John Romita or Len Wein signed it. For example, there's a v3 59 copy (Wein/Romita/Stan) that's been floating around on eBay for months for $500 that if someone ever actually bought I'd want to tell the new owner "Your overpriced book is cute, I bought my Suydam signed copy for about 85% less. Enjoy."

Like you I also took a break from the 9.8 chase in assembling my Maximum Carnage set. comix4sale was nice enough to have the foresight to know I would one day want to buy all the Spectacular issues in the run from him, and he had all 3 signed by Sal Buscema and J.M. DeMatteis. Even though two copies were "only" 9.6s, I snatched up the group right away. Would I upgrade to a 9.8 signed by one or both of them in the future if the opportunity presents itself? Most likely, but for now those 9.6s fit my collecting goals much better than say a 9.8 signed by Stan.

Thank you for your insight. I've noticed as well the mark up on comics signed at 9.8 or even a 9.6. Do I enjoy the aspect of possibly having nothing but 9.8's in my collect I sure do but I promised myself i would not let my pocket take a hit for it.

And as for the whole signature aspect of the CGC collecting world, I'm not too interested in it. I have two books both 9.8 that I was able to win in auction one signed by Stan and the other J. Scott Campbell. And like you if there is a chance for me to assemble a larger collection with Mr. Campbell's signature on it I will most likely go for it.

But for right now those two will hold me over. I have begun my chase at ASM Vol.1 and 2, and will take anything down to 8.0 or 8.5 with a nice cover and good price.

Is 9.8 really worth the prices they go for.

In my opinion they are not. If taken out of their cases and set side by side how much of a difference would you see. If you are using a 16x magnifier or whatever they use when grading maybe but were there no CGC would you be happy with the book that would have been 9.6? I suspect most people would.

When I was younger and comic conventions were non existent I was happy to fill a gap in my collection with any condition. Sure I would trade up if a nicer copy was available and my disposable income would allow for it.

I also read my comics which obviously most people don't do with their encapsulated comics.

I have slabbed a couple of books that I bought after riding my bike 8 miles to get them. I always took care of my new comics as best I could after reading them and was ecstatic that my GI Joe 21 and ASM 300 graded 9.6

I am befuddled at the SS collectors when I feel that signatures on the covers detracts from the artwork though I must admit that I do own one. I have a ASM 238 9.6 signed and doodled on by JR and JRJR. Its cool but I imagine a reg 9.6 or 9.8 would be preferable to the SS But I started working for Marvel when JR was art director and worked with JRJR on an abysmal AS clone book...ick. But he was my fave back in the day.

meh. It all boils down to personal preference I suppose. Mine is that 9.6 books look great and are a lot cheaper.

Speaking as exclusively a Signature Series collector, you certainly do see books where the signature(s) on a particular book are a detriment. Obviously signature size and placement are huge factors. Stan Lee is notoriously bad at it these days if you don't prep the book in advance, I've even seen copies where he signed over another artist's signature!

Side note -- Why did I go SS only? In my ever evolving view, it made more sense for me to be collecting books that had something that made them that much more unique. Especially with my modern collections, a Universal 9.8 is nice, but there's lots of those out there. Anyway...

From my perspective I don't think there's any comic out there that can't handle having one signature on the cover (example if you'd like -- check out my Wolverine 68, even with its dark cover Mark Texeira sketched if like a champ), it's when you start thinking about multiple signatures that the problems start. Obviously a lot of that consideration depends on how much "white space" a book's cover has.

One book that comes to mind immediately is Uncanny X-Men 266 -- looks fantastic with one, maybe two, properly placed signatures. But I've seen copies with five or six that obscure Gambit completely and look like they were just defaced with scribbles.

But like you said, in the end its all personal preference.

Part of what drives up the cost of the 9.8 is that there are fewer of them so of course that increases their desirability. The age of the book also plays a part...for me, I'm all about the 9.6 in the Bronze Age as my top tier grade. If it's Silver Age then I'm happy with anything 9.0 and above. For Copper/Modern books, I like 9.8 but am also happy with 9.6. These personal preferences of mine apply to your average book...if it's a key then of course I would gladly take a lower grade.

After reading the response from WoWitHurts I would love to know more about the work he did with Marvel. Journal! Journal! Journal! Haha.

I have many 9.8's My collection is worth some money.

My nephew had 2.0's, 1.8's? His is is also.

He has so many key books because it's about the book not the grade.

The book, everyone watches the price increase on 9.8's.

For little investment ,bigger returns percentage wise.

Owe one 9.8 key. or 7 1.8's keys.... the book not the grade.

I was happy to fill a gap in my collection with any condition. Sure I would trade up if a nicer copy was available and my disposable income would allow for it.

I am befuddled at the SS collectors when I feel that signatures on the covers detracts from the artwork

1. Me too, I wanted the whole run to read. :)

2. I totally understand collectors having a passion for whatever it is they enjoy - all about our individual tastes. Regarding CGC SS Marvel silver keys (like IH 1, FF 1, AF15, SM 1, etc), personally, it makes me cringe when I see such iconic, rare, historic artifacts with some large, thick, scribble obscuring such wonderful artwork. If signatures were put on the back cover, on the lower white border off to the right - almost like an art print, it would look much classier to me. In the end, I don't want artist/creator signatures obscuring any part of my Marvel silver keys.

Trends come and go, so I can't help but to think that at some point a significant amount of collectors will lose interest in SS books. Such a shame all of those awesome, rare keys have been forever altered in such an obtrusive way. The more that get signed, that's fewer unaltered copies out there, and you know what that means.