• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need FedEx Shipping Advice for Higher End Items

12 posts in this topic

Shipping one of my wife's paintings to a show in NYC through FedEx Ground with a return ground sticker since we have an account. We've done this before and ran into the insurance portion at the time, that we fully didn't understand and would like some clarification / recommendations.

Basically she wants to insure the painting for around $10,000. What we were told when we did this before was that the limit for insurance is $1000, especially if the Ground sticker we have is used.

What we did at that time (which was suggested by the FedEx person) was scrap the sticker and declare it as a "gift" which we could then increase the insurance amount. Long story short, the gallery was given this instruction, to return as a gift and insure for the same amount. They even repeated the instructions back to us, but failed to do so, sending it back at the maximum insured rate of 1000 (yes this is our issue with them)

To make it more confusing, I think I read on the FedEx site that they are not an insurance company and highly recommend getting third party insurance. I also think I read that they would only reimburse up to the 1000.00 even if it was "gifted" at the higher amount.

Looking for some best advice from those that had to ship higher end stuff and what you suggest we should do in the future.

Thanks!

So I have a few questions for you:

1) Why are you insuring the painting? Loss, theft, damage? All of the above?

2) Have you ever considered the USPS? Send it Express (or Registered) and I believe you can insure up to $25k, maybe more.

3) Have you looked into private insurance (like was suggested)? Maybe CIS or your homeowners can offer something.

Basically she wants to insure the painting for around $10,000. What we were told when we did this before was that the limit for insurance is $1000.

What we did at that time (which was suggested by the FedEx person) was scrap the sticker and declare it as a "gift" which we could then increase the insurance amount.

Waste of money because ...

they would only reimburse up to the 1000.00 even if it was "gifted" at the higher amount.

If you had to file a claim, you still have to say what the gift was. At which point they say "sorry $1K max".

2) Have you ever considered the USPS? Send it Express (or Registered) and I believe you can insure up to $25k, maybe more.

3) Have you looked into private insurance (like was suggested)? Maybe CIS or your homeowners can offer something.

Unless you get third party insurance, USPS is the way to go.

Registered is the safest, but can take exceedingly long as each person that touches it, has to sign off on it.

I would think any claim on art north of a couple grand will have to have some sort of supporting valuation documentation. Appraisal, comps, etc.

My wife's work sells for that much and yes, All of the above

I believe the cost for FedEx Ground was very low in comparison and we have an account that the Gallery could use for returning it.

Was looking for suggestions on third party insurance options....

Thanks!

Basically she wants to insure the painting for around $10,000. What we were told when we did this before was that the limit for insurance is $1000.

What we did at that time (which was suggested by the FedEx person) was scrap the sticker and declare it as a "gift" which we could then increase the insurance amount.

Waste of money because ...

they would only reimburse up to the 1000.00 even if it was "gifted" at the higher amount.

If you had to file a claim, you still have to say what the gift was. At which point they say "sorry $1K max".

This is what was confusing. So no matter what, they would pay no more than the $1000 max, even if we paid the high amount for $10k shipping value, correct?

Unless you get third party insurance, USPS is the way to go.

Registered is the safest, but can take exceedingly long as each person that touches it, has to sign off on it.

I would think any claim on art north of a couple grand will have to have some sort of supporting valuation documentation. Appraisal, comps, etc.

One of our main concerns is the return shipping as we don't have an account with USPS that the gallery could use. Will look into it a bit further....

I believe the cost for FedEx Ground was very low in comparison and we have an account that the Gallery could use for returning it.

Thanks!

If your wife's works sell for $10k or more, why are you trying to get out for the cheapest shipping possible? I mean, I would spend a few more dollars to get the right shipping coverage.

Seems to be a classic case of penny wise, pound foolish.

Call CIS www.collectinsure.com and speak to one of their agents. They can probably set you up with someone that will satisfy your shipping needs.

But I can tell you for anything over $5k, you're going to have to go with a better service than Ground.

Thanks!

If your wife's works sell for $10k or more, why are you trying to get out for the cheapest shipping possible? I mean, I would spend a few more dollars to get the right shipping coverage.

Call CIS www.collectinsure.com and speak to one of their agents. They can probably set you up with someone that will satisfy your shipping needs.

But I can tell you for anything over $5k, you're going to have to go with a better service than Ground.

Unfortunately for me, but that is my wife to a T. She once had me argue over the phone to the phone company over a ten cent discrepancy :frustrated:

Thanks!

Unfortunately for me, but that is my wife to a T. She once had me argue over the phone to the phone company over a ten cent discrepancy :frustrated:

Quick question.. why couldn't she argue over the ten cents? Registered mail is the way to go. I used to work for the post office and those items are accounted for and well guarded at every stop. They even lock up registered items in the safe each night.

Sometimes the biggest mistake a business can make is not spending enough money in the right areas.