• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four 76 Sold for $170,000 ?

55 posts in this topic

It says "SOLD FOR $170,000", unless its an error

Correct, it sold. It was a brokered sale so the piece was never offered "publicly".

Hi Doug -

Thanks for the response.

Do you know the date when the piece sold ?

Much obliged for any info you can provide. :)

Are Kirby FF covers rare/hard to come by? Seems like a very healthy price for a later issue, non key piece. It is nice to see these kind of pages trade hands ever now and then, exciting stuff.

Yeah, one of my favorite storylines, but the "weakest" of the covers, IMO (the run being 74-77).

Are Kirby FF covers rare/hard to come by? Seems like a very healthy price for a later issue, non key piece. It is nice to see these kind of pages trade hands ever now and then, exciting stuff.

Compare to the JIM cover that just sold or TOS 84 cover. All in the 150-175k range, all three solid/nice but unspectacular, all three mid 1960s.

Id assume a lot of the ones from early in the run aren't around; it's likely around #50 or #60 where more are around, if I'm going by dates (but with no particular knowledge of it)

I would love to see a Kirby FF cover below number 50 come to market but to your question, yes - Kirby FF covers are pretty much non existent.

I think # 40 may be the lowest number known to exist but somebody please correct me if they know of an earlier cover known to exist

It would be pretty amazing if ANY covers from number 1-30 ever surface.

I am partial to # 4 but they ALL are great.

I think # 40 may be the lowest number known to exist but somebody please correct me if they know of an earlier cover known to exist.

I thought I saw #32 on CAF a very long time ago. Or maybe Sotheby's/Christie's catalog in the 90s? Or I'm super wrong altogether (if so, sorry!) ;)

They must be somewhere.... here's a list that was compiled when Marvel did an inventory in the early 80's of the OA they still had, the covers are strangely lacking. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

MarvelArtVault.jpg

MarvelArtVault2.jpg

Correct, it sold. It was a brokered sale so the piece was never offered "publicly".

Hi Doug -

Thanks for the response.

Actually, it was a while ago -- May of 2013

The earliest FF cover known to exist is #40, though there are compelling accounts of others from before then. The list from the Comics Journal is irrelevant. Covers came back from a different printer than the interiors, and they were returned in separate envelopes, and were (at least at first) stored differently.

There has been a healthy debate since OA collecting began about whether the cover envelopes were tossed to make room for newer envelopes. If so, it would explain why so little early cover art has shown up.

The FF 76 cover is (I think) the first modern-sized one. Interiors went modern sized with #68.

The earliest FF cover known to exist is #40, though there are compelling accounts of others from before then. The list from the Comics Journal is irrelevant. Covers came back from a different printer than the interiors, and they were returned in separate envelopes, and were (at least at first) stored differently.

There has been a healthy debate since OA collecting began about whether the cover envelopes were tossed to make room for newer envelopes. If so, it would explain why so little early cover art has shown up.

The FF 76 cover is (I think) the first modern-sized one. Interiors went modern sized with #68.

...the list is actually very relevant in that it shows that Marvel maintained an inventory of "their" art after it's use. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Hi Doug -

Thanks for the response.

Actually, it was a while ago -- May of 2013

Interesting, that was awhiles ago. Thanks for responding. Just another datapoint but an important one.

I think # 40 may be the lowest number known to exist but somebody please correct me if they know of an earlier cover known to exist.

I thought I saw #32 on CAF a very long time ago. Or maybe Sotheby's/Christie's catalog in the 90s? Or I'm super wrong altogether (if so, sorry!) ;)

Thats funny. I kind of remembering seeing it too (I think). Wasn't impressed with the cover at the time because I thought it was too high a number but with the dirth of Fantastic Four covers out there, I am sure I would feel very differently today. Quite frankly, it has excellent composition and would love to own it. But I imagine it is a 250k cover by now at least.

Thats funny. I kind of remembering seeing it too (I think). Wasn't impressed with the cover at the time because I thought it was too high a number but with the dirth of Fantastic Four covers out there, I am sure I would feel very differently today. Quite frankly, it has excellent composition and would love to own it. But I imagine it is a 250k cover by now at least.

I went through my Sotheby's and Christie's auction catalogs this morning and didn't see an earlier FF cover. I am missing one catalog though from the first Sotheby's auction with comic stuff. I "loaned" it to a friend many years ago and never got it back

I was reminded that the Conan #1 cover sold for the lowly sum of $12,000 back then. Why I didn't buy it, I'll never know

Certainly have regretted it all these years though

I went through my Sotheby's and Christie's auction catalogs this morning and didn't see an earlier FF cover. I am missing one catalog though from the first Sotheby's auction with comic stuff. I "loaned" it to a friend many years ago and never got it back

I was reminded that the Conan #1 cover sold for the lowly sum of $12,000 back then. Why I didn't buy it, I'll never know

Certainly have regretted it all these years though

Federal Reserve Notes (not to be confused with actual money) was much harder to come by all those years ago. $12,000 was a princely sum back then.

Nowadays, with all this money printing it is hard to remember that old economic reality.

Thank you Federal reserve for so distorting our economy we cant tell up from down. Price based on supply/demand.

We are blind out here. A game of pin the tail on the donkey.