• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GPAnalysis artificial inflation via eBay

36 posts in this topic

It is frightening how anti-knowledge this place has become.

Truly frightening.

This.

Exactly. This is why I rarely visit this site anymore.

I bet it is tough to weather all the change over the past 6 months...

:makepoint:

Thank you for making my point. Your attitude is part of the problem. Who gives three flying sh#$s how long you've been a member here, I thought it was open to all. But the whole elitist attitude of how cool you are because of your post count or how long you've been here is ridiculous and very prevalent in the other threads as well.

I wasn't necessarily referring to change in these six months, I was saying that I'm tired of coming here because of the know-it-all mentality, especially when it comes to modern comics. I don't know why you guys even bother to read/post in the modern threads if you hate them so much. Is it just to feel some sad and smug false superiority over those that enjoy them?

Here's more ammo for you then: I have been collecting comics for 30 years, but took a break when my first child was born. I got back into them (comics) earlier this year, with the idea of trying my hand at speculation.

I like spec-ing on moderns (gasp!!) and variants (double gasp!!). I enjoy and am a member of one of the SUPER EVIL spec site/google plus groups. I don't buy SA or BA keys (what a loser!). You know why I do this? Because it's fun. I'm not trying to get rich, it's just fun. I spec on moderns because I don't have to spend much on them, and they can sometimes give me a return.

I came to this site because I enjoy comics and enjoy discussing them, and enjoy discussing speculation. The attitude here, even in the frikkin modern section, is very against that. Sorry to pis$ in your sandbox friend.

Truly frightening.

This.

Thank you for making my point. Your attitude is part of the problem. Who gives three flying sh#$s how long you've been a member here, I thought it was open to all. But the whole elitist attitude of how cool you are because of your post count or how long you've been here is ridiculous and very prevalent in the other threads as well.

I wasn't necessarily referring to change in these six months, I was saying that I'm tired of coming here because of the know-it-all mentality, especially when it comes to modern comics. I don't know why you guys even bother to read/post in the modern threads if you hate them so much. Is it just to feel some sad and smug false superiority over those that enjoy them?

Here's more ammo for you then: I have been collecting comics for 30 years, but took a break when my first child was born. I got back into them (comics) earlier this year, with the idea of trying my hand at speculation.

I like spec-ing on moderns (gasp!!) and variants (double gasp!!). I enjoy and am a member of one of the SUPER EVIL spec site/google plus groups. I don't buy SA or BA keys (what a loser!). You know why I do this? Because it's fun. I'm not trying to get rich, it's just fun. I spec on moderns because I don't have to spend much on them, and they can sometimes give me a return.

I came to this site because I enjoy comics and enjoy discussing them, and enjoy discussing speculation. The attitude here, even in the frikkin modern section, is very against that. Sorry to pis$ in your sandbox friend.

Man in the mirror

I have noticed though, many of the "old timers" hate the modern trend in this hobby, speculation. I wonder, maybe they cant play that game well so they prefer to bash it and bash those that play it well. Im curious to see some point of views. Theres a new breed of collectors and flippers out there. Aint nothing wrong with flipping moderns to buy silvers, is a fun ride. Lot of smart folks here thats for sure, ive learned a lot here since my lurking days....but past few years it just feels different.

As for the OP, SS books can get saturated and lose value/demand or that "cool" factor over time, JSC remarks were awesome when he first started doing them, but now theres way too many of them out there and I dont see them move as fast as they used to.

I have noticed though, many of the "old timers" hate the modern trend in this hobby, speculation. I wonder, maybe they cant play that game well so they prefer to bash it and bash those that play it well. Im curious to see some point of views. Theres a new breed of collectors and flippers out there. Aint nothing wrong with flipping moderns to buy silvers, is a fun ride. Lot of smart folks here thats for sure, ive learned a lot here since my lurking days....but past few years it just feels different.

As for the OP, SS books can get saturated and lose value/demand or that "cool" factor over time, JSC remarks were awesome when he first started doing them, but now theres way too many of them out there and I dont see them move as fast as they used to.

That's what happens when creators catch-on to the after-market and start their own webstore. I can only see this trend continuing with other creators....

But eventually it will loose its appeal to collectors. Supply vs. Demand.

I have noticed though, many of the "old timers" hate the modern trend in this hobby, speculation. I wonder, maybe they cant play that game well so they prefer to bash it and bash those that play it well. Im curious to see some point of views. Theres a new breed of collectors and flippers out there.

As an "old timer" I'm not so sure that many of us hate the modern speculation trend (maybe a few of the more vocal ones). It's not that we can't play that game, it's that we already have & know how it ends. While some believe that it will ultimately end up hurting the market (as in the 1990s), I'm really not that concerned. The numbers re so much smaller now & the big $$$ seem to be in the Bronze/Silver flips. The market will play out as it always does, I'm not sure a modest size group of flippers trying to control a small portion of the market will create that much chaos. It is interesting to note, that many of the flippers that were burned on the Image hot books have already moved on to Copper/Bronze flipping. Variants...it's always been a hot potato market, don't be the guy stuck with it in the end. Again, I'm talking as a market, I know individual Variant books have done quite well.

Truly frightening.

This.

:shrug:

I took your post within the context it was made and didn't reference a large amount of everything else you are spewing all about.

For the record, the posts you are commenting on are not "tired of the know-it-all attitudes" they are advocating the opposite and are frustrated with people's apparent "anti-knowledge" stances. To put it plainly (with some sarcasm) they want more acceptance of "know-it-all" behavior (or more likely, acceptance of specific poster's knowledge), not less.

Not sure it has to be said but, feel free to be as old as you want, buy whatever you want, post as much or little as you want and collect whatever you feel like.

(thumbs u

Truly frightening.

This.

...But the whole elitist attitude of how cool you are..

IMG_9402.jpg

Who are the "old timers" you're referring to?

People have been speculating on comics since the mid-60's....is that a "modern" trend...?

Paraphrasing you: "Maybe they're jealous!"....?

I guess that might be true of some people....but it seems like a very convenient, very clichéd thing to say about any subject: that people speak against it because they're jealous.

hm

Truly frightening.

This.

It's also frightening how thinking-I-know-it-all-while-not-really-knowing-anything this place has become, too.

Lots and lots of people who post unsubstantiated and unqualified opinion as fact, and become aggressively hostile when challenged.

That's really a shame.

People have been speculating on comics since the mid-60's....is that a "modern" trend...?

I guess that might be true of some people....but it seems like a very convenient, very clichéd thing to say about any subject: that people speak against it because they're jealous.

hm

It appears that there are several different types of speculators, at least on the surface. There are Golden and Silver Age guys. They never seem to get tired of collecting and/or selling old books. The risk is lower on these because the characters are well established and therefore, predictable...for the most part.

Then you have the Bronze guys and gals. These are the books I grew up reading. Still pretty stable books but not nearly as safe overall as the older stuff excepting stuff like Incredible Hulk #181 and GS X-men #1. Keep in mind that most people my age were reading lots of reprints of Gold and Silver stuff at the time. Marvel's Greatest Comics, Marvel Triple Action, and Marvel Tales all seemed new to me as a kid. Movies seem to be driving a lot of the prices on these books so their foundations seem weaker to me.

Copper Age collectors seem to be more influenced by TV shows like GI Joe, Transformers, and even though it happened in reverse, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The Turtles, like The Walking Dead seem to actually sell better because people who don't necessarily collect comics, still want these books. There are very collectible capes books from this period like The Watchmen and TDKR but those books seemed to usher in the modern age. Coppers seem as stable as Bronze books overall due to a different fan base.

That leaves the different modern collectors. These collectors are either older guys like me or are late to the game but still want to play. The modern guys break down into two camps. The reader/collector/speculator and the people who speculate more on rarity than any other reason. This seems to be the big divide in most of today's speculators. Some of us read the books while some of us just like the covers. Some of us get sucked into both options, including me.

There was a time ( recently ) when I felt the need to own an East of West RRP. The hype got me. I owned it for about a year before selling it. East of West is a great book and the RRP cover is by far my favorite. The thing is, the cover wasn't the reason it was costly. No, the fact is, there were somewhere around 300 or so of them made. There were more than 300 people who initially wanted them and the bidding began. To some, the cover IS worth that much. I get it. To me, it occurred that is wasn't even a first print or even a second print for that matter hm

A guy isn't a sucker because he wants a second print or a short printed cover. The thing is, the manufacturers don't live in a box with no windows, they see that a second print numbered around 2000 to 5000 has demand so they make a third, fourth, or even fifth printing in ever decreasing quantities. They do this because demand should naturally dwindle with more books available and no new buyers. This really isn't the case in the modern market. For a short period of time, prices have been driven up by people who must own each print and each cover. Not going to lie, East of West drove me to this thinking for a moment.

Where this plan falls short on both fronts is that there are only so many dollars to go around. The comic companies keep printing more material and keep raising prices on these short printed books. This lessens demand for one, five, or ten year old books that were previously hot. Some people see it, some think this isn't happening. This makes this part of our collections extremely volatile and vulnerable. Back to the subject.

The splinter in the modern collecting groups is fairly obvious. Stories versus rarity. It has nearly always been, and continues to be, my opinion that great stories, drawn by excellent artist, with natural growth will win out over stuff that people don't read but looks great and is limited. First prints can only happen once whereas reprints are forever.

There is no right or wrong way to collect. If you buy what YOU like, you may or may not be able to capitalize on it but it won't be a waste of your hard earned dollars will it ? How much is entertainment worth ? For me ? Every Tuesday night I buy East of West, The Walking Dead, and DKIII online. I preorder all of theses books but they're so good, I don't want to wait to read them.

RMA is correct in saying that we take offense to being challenged. We all think we're right lol

Nothing wrong with a different viewpoint. Being challenged doesn't always mean we're wrong just as not being challenged doesn't mean we're right. The cool thing is, this a place where all of us who love comics get to share ideas and suggest something that someone may have missed. I'm thankful for it.

Keep in mind, if things go bad and you need to make a fire, digital books will not keep you warm so they always be worth less than the real thing. lol

hm

Based on the way he's worded it, I'm guessing the "old timers" are the ones giving these out... :D

wr7o6.jpgvia Monopoly Card Meme Maker