• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Young Men #24 Give me a grade!

14 posts in this topic

Cover is detached and has some slight rips on the back. Is there any chance in God's eyes that this could ever hit a 2.0?

Show us the back cover. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Detached covers are allowed in the good grade.

If the back is as nice as the front I think you are looking at a 2.5/3.0.

GA curve taken into account. gossip.gif

I don't know how high CGC will grade a book with a loose cover, but that FC doesn't look too bad for a Good - no big ugly creases running through the front of the book that I can see. Unless the BC is really thrashed, I wouldn't call it less than a 2.0. While for some a loose cover is the kiss of death, I think many low grade collectors would rather have a loose cover with a modicum of eye-appeal, than an attached one with enough other wear to bring the book down to 2.0.

Some pieces missing were the staples should be on the back cover so I'll drop my grade to a straight Good. gossip.gif

I haven't checked the prices lately, but lower grade copies of this book seemed to sell for around guide on ebay a couple years ago. It's definetly an Atom Age key, but it seems to show up fairly frequently.

Hmm, so is this one of those books that would be sold at guide/below guide or above guide? Don't want to rip anyone off. I just figured it would get nailed down on the grade aspect.

I place a significant difference between the grade of a book and the value of a book.

For instance:

1) A 9.4 Bronze age book with bad QP (lots of white showing), a date stamp, and a little bit of foxing isn't as valuable (to me) as a 9.4 with none of the above.

2) A low grade (2.0/2.5) reader of (say) FF 2 with tan pages, a 3" spine split with tape, and a name written on the cover isn't as valuable (to me) as a similairly graded FF 2 book without those extra problems.

Some things don't affect the grade but affect the value. I factor those things in when bidding on books.

I wouldn't assign a strict "grade" to this book.

I'd say something along the lines of "looks VG, but cover is detached." Provide good scans and detail the flaws and let the buyer decide the technical "grade."

How much you looking to get for it? wink.gif