• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Irishman
1 1

87 posts in this topic

Its a movie also referred to as "The Irishman. "I Heard You Paint Houses" is based on a book by Charles Brandt.

Painting a house is killing someone by painting the walls with spilled blood so to speak.

DeNiro will play the notorious mobster Frank ‘The Irishman’ Sheeran.

The big 2015 releases were just disappointing to me. Now I'm excited again as this is on the horizon.

Scorcese

Deniro

Pacino

Pesci

Interesting!

Martin Scorsese is still planning to make The Irishman with Robert De Niro

During an interview with Thierry Fremaux ahead of a tribute to Scorsese at the Lyon Lumiere Film Festival in France, the director said he and De Niro remain committed to making the movie, according to Variety.

The story centers on Frank Sheeran, a mafia hitman who was rumored to be involved in the assassinations of John F. Kennedy and Jimmy Hoffa.

Frank Sheeran wiki

36 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

The fact that Scorsese had to go to Netflix to do this helps "shine a light" (heh) on why he so dislikes superhero movies. Guarantee you he couldn't get a major theatrical studio to finance this at $150+ million, despite several years of trying.

The state of Hollywood today is that, unless you're Christopher Nolan, there's no place for adult dramas that cost $60+ million, let alone $100+ million dollars. Even Dunkirk, at ~$100 million, cost more than 30% less than The Irishman.

The fact that Edward Norton was able to secure financing for a theatrical release of Motherless Brooklyn (which is now tracking for an opening weekend of ~$6 million) is amazing. And that's just sad.

We need more films like The Irishman, Motherless Brooklyn, Michael Clayton, even The Post (which I disliked and is minor Spielberg at best) that play in theaters and that audiences continue to see.

Agree 100%

I'm really looking forward to this.

Just finished it. I don’t think I would have enjoyed this sitting in the theater. You really need the comfort of your home to wrap yourself around it.

Its another winner for Scorsese. Epic. It’s definitely f-ing cinema. It does not have the pacing of Goodfellas but has those familiar touches. It’s long and slow and I loved every minute of it.  Pesci stole the show for me. His intense quiet presence dominated every scene he’s in. Especially the one moment where he gives that CGI glance without saying a word and I was grinning ear to ear. You’ll know the scene when you see it.

Now for the CGI. It’s uneven. There are moments where it’s perfection and moments where it looks like a video game. For some reason Pesci was done better than Deniro. As in he looked more natural in the majority of his younger scenes. It’s initially distracting because I was looking for it and then became focused on it but eventually the story takes over and I became less focused on the tech. Honestly, this is the perfect film to get the Lucas treatment in ten years from now. The faces are already digital and could be improved in the future as the film is remastered with more natural looking CGI. 
All in all I put this in the top three of Scorsese’s best. It’s not re-watchable like The Departed but I can’t wait to see it again after some time has passed.

ironic that scorsese dumps on marvel movies for their lack of originality, and meanwhile he keeps making the same film over and over and over. yes, he's a great director, but how many mob films are enough? and how bout some casting? deniro playing a 40 year old? pesci looks about 90 playing 50. it was nice to see deniro and pacino in the same movie. it's called HEAT. i can't believe the irishman is getting so much acclaim. very disappointed. 

The movie is a masterpiece. Pacino was outstanding as Jimmy Hoffa. So great to see Pesci again. Terrific work  by DeNiro..This.is probably Marty's swansong, and it's a wonderful way for him to go out. On top.