• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Out of This World - the 1950 Avon One-Shot

7 posts in this topic

Most of you probably recognize this cover, it's a great example of the "robot menacing the damsel in distress."

Startling 49 gets all the attention, but this Avon is pretty good too:

out_01.jpg

And there are two of these -- the June 1950 issue and the August 1950 (label: Avon, 8/50) issue:

IMG_1461.jpg

The one labeled JUNE is the June issue, and ... you get the idea. So I guess the Aug issue is considered a reprint?

The census data for these is pretty lopsided:

6/1950 -- 22 total graded

8/1950 -- there is only 1 copy in the census (not worth slabbing?)

Does anyone have any idea of the print run numbers for these books?

Anyway, I thought this was a little bit interesting.

gozer

---------------------------------------------------

There's plenty I can do to keep myself occupied.

Maybe I'll check out that axe collection.

I've always loved that comic. And many of my geek brethren do as well. We've all had several copies each at various times over our collecting careers.

I bought my first copy at a small convention in Mobile Alabama, called Mobi-Con back in the 80s.

What a great cover illus!

The rocket ship in the background looks like something out of a 1930's Flash Gordon serial.

And don't you just love the liberties the artists would take in regard to real world conditions? Obviously no atmosphere since planets are visible in the background, but they still don't need space suits or helmets...

24069783772_2b01ed8c24_b.jpg

and it was also included in the pulp version of Out of this World.

This isn't my copy but I have one somewhere...

It would probably sell better with that terrific robot cover that is on the comic.