• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newest way to buy comics on the internet

34 posts in this topic

I got into my first one of these last night (for a FN/VFish IM 55) and it's crazy addictive. For those that don't know there is a Facebook page that has set up a pre-set method to randomly pick a winner for a book. It's basically gambling with the prize being a high end comic book. Anyone actually won anything for one of these Razz auctions? The format seems fairly bullet proof although I can't see how it isn't considered gambling.

I tried to set the same kind of thing up on the boards a couple years ago (I think) and it got shut down in a day and prompted a new rule that prohibited raffles on the boards. As in most thing - things that get banned here move to Facebook where they are usually closed down quickly due to scammers.

I've seen them and would rather light the money on fire than play those games. If they are the sames ones I have seen I know people have manipulated the winners to get their friends to be chosen etc. Its worse than a mystery box IMO.

"Content Currently Unavailable"

:lol:

Is it a secret site so only members can see the page? 1st rule of club is don't talk about the club.

I've seen them and would rather light the money on fire than play those games. If they are the sames ones I have seen I know people have manipulated the winners to get their friends to be chosen etc. Its worse than a mystery box IMO.

This one would be tough to manipulate but who knows when a $1,000 is on the line. You have to post a video where you show the time you start the random generation and keep showing the clock to prove you are doing it in real time. You hit a random dice roll program and that's the number of times you have to hit the random generator program to mix up the names of people in the thing.

The one I went in last night was 130 spots for $5 each and I bought 5 spots. $25 for a 1:26 chance to win a $450 - $500 book. Not great odds but it was a fun night entertainment and my heart was sure pounding when they posted the video.

The one I'm following right now is a IH 181 CGC 7.0 - 140 spots for $10 each. Pretty much in line with GPA for the book. If it's not a scam would you throw in $20 to have a 1:70 chance at that book?

If the price of the entries is equal to the FMV, why not just sell it outright?

Has to be more of a headache to collect all of those fees, then setup a raffle, then get sad people calling you a cheat when the don't win.

It does sound like a bit of a hassle but most of the one's I've watched have been begun and done in one night with all money collected via PP. So you could post the book up in a 1 week auction and pay E-Bay 10% or have the money in your Paypal account in 1 night and ship out the book the next day. Definetely some benefits even if you sell it at FMV (which most do not).

Somethings to note and this will briefly explain why I wouldn't bother:

They collect money via friends and family (this way a non winner is screwed). Against TOS

Using Paypal for gambling (this is). Against TOS

What site are they using to do the name drawing? I am sure I can make a video to pick a winner of my choosing ;)

"Content Currently Unavailable"

:lol:

Is it a secret site so only members can see the page? 1st rule of Razz club is don't talk about Razz club.

You're not good at following rules, are you? (shrug)

No one ever told me to not talk about it. :slapfight: The stuff just started popping up in my Facebook list yesterday - I assume someone I've bought from nominated me or something.

They collect money via friends and family (this way a non winner is screwed). Against TOS

What site are they using to do the name drawing? I am sure I can make a video to pick a winner of my choosing ;)

Not sure but it would be tough to do it quickly. The one I followed got the last payment and within 20 minutes posted the results. Could you put together a doctored video in 20 minutes? I'm not familiar with how that would be done but I'd be impressed if the work could be done in that's short of time.

Not sure but it would be tough to do it quickly. The one I followed got the last payment and within 20 minutes posted the results. Could you put together a doctored video in 20 minutes? I'm not familiar with how that would be done but I'd be impressed if the work could be done in that's short of time.

At 11:25 work permitting I will have a video of 50 names with me being the winner ;)

At 11:25 work permitting I will have a video of 50 names with me being the winner ;)

can't do it as just got off the phone. Basically you can just re run the lists several times. Adjusting a computer time clock is probably the hardest thing to do...you know how you right click adjust date and time. Seriously don't waste your money and just throw me $20 every time you feel like it and one day who knows maybe Ill ship you a key.