• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

?s on CGC holders

9 posts in this topic

I posted this on "Ask CGC" but want to hear your opinions.

I find that I am able to split the holder rather easily, (i.e. along its spine, one is able to begin prying it apart). I just wondered if this is the way the holders are, or if it is a sign of tampering. The comic is protected in another "internal holder", correct? So the external holder does not need to be tightly shut? If that is the case, are there crooks out there that open the external holders, put lower graded books inside, and are able to effectively shut the external holder, or would there be an obvious sign of that?

It depends. Sometimes the side of the holder is more split than others. Unless the corners of the slab are cracked, the book hasn't been tampered with.

The slabs are incredibly easy to open, but obvious once they have been.

The sides of the slab are generally not heat sealed, and can be bowed open a bit.

But all four corner posts should be intact, and the area around the posts IS heat sonic welded.

When you try to run your fingernail down the side..the closer you get to the post area.. it will either crack /split near the post.. or at least turn that area white where you stress the plastic to the point of no return.

In both cases the area turns white, and will never look the same unless that area was not glued/welded correctly in the first place. Which does happen from time to time.

Hope that helps.

Ze-

If you see a crack in one of the corners of the slab, it will be very obvious that the holder has been tampered with. In order to open the slab, you'd have to crack at least two corners to get the thing fully opened.

You can open one with a butter knife in about 10 seconds.

you wouldn't have to get it re-graded, just reholdered. you can pay a small fee ($11 or so if i recall) and cgc will re-holder it. i've done it fo a few cgc books. turn around times are much faster for re-holdering than for grading. check out the cgc website for all of the details. hope that helps

I have a comic with a butchered corner on the slab. Looks like it was shipping damage more than anything. Anyone know if I can get it reholdered or would I have to get it regraded?

Investigate the REHOLDER service on the cgccomics.com site!