• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World New Orleans -- January 5-7, 2018

57 posts in this topic

I can report very loud, ridiculously loud music, so loud you can't talk to customers. I can report 2 music stages, blaring at the same time, with strippers dressed as Supergirl, Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, etc, dancing on stage in very little clothes. I can report 99% of the people at the show didn't buy anything other than admission and a slice of pizza. I can report the show went until 10:00 PM on Friday night, so we get to go try to find a place to eat after an incredibly long day.

Thankfully 1% of the customers actually buys comics, and some pretty good ones.

A couple of the reviews on FB complained about the loud music from the main stage in the dealer room, and the bad decision of putting the stage there in the first place. No mentions of strippers yet.

The more I think about it the more I like the sound of setting up at this Con. The dancing girls will help fill the time while standing around and the loud music will drown out the 15th request for HOS 92 or WBN 32.

From their Twitter feed:

C1l69DGUkAAnci6.jpg

Saw that on Facebook too. Glad the little girl in the stroller is getting a good look, I'm sure her Mom is loving it too.

It looks like there is 20 people at the show.

From their Twitter feed:

C1l69DGUkAAnci6.jpg

Saw that on Facebook too. Glad the little girl in the stroller is getting a good look, I'm sure her Mom is loving it too.

No, it was a huge crowd..At least 40,000 people for the weekend. It was the noise that made the show rough.

The dancing by the girls was completely inappropriate for the crowd. Kids everywhere and they were doing suggestive moves. Might as well have the con on Bourbon Street.

From their Twitter feed:

C1l69DGUkAAnci6.jpg

No, it was a huge crowd..At least 40,000 people for the weekend. It was the noise that made the show rough.

The dancing by the girls was completely inappropriate for the crowd. Kids everywhere and they were doing suggestive moves. Might as well have the con on Bourbon Street.

I would go to Bourbon Street Comic Con

From their Twitter feed:

C1l69DGUkAAnci6.jpg

I would go to Bourbon Street Comic Con

Not a bag full of purchased comics in the lot of them.

So i was set up right next to the main stage the entire weekend. Yes the music was loud. There was 5 different forms of music coming from all directions. The name of the group of dancers are called Purfect Angels and they are actually a legit group. I know Christy Hemme (of WWE Diva fame) is a member as i recognized her. They were finalists or something on Americas Got Talent i think. They did give dance lessons and stuff to whoever wanted so i thought that was cool.

Me personally, i didn't mind it. I actually thought the music was good :) Could it have been situated somewhere else on the show floor?? Maybe. I am sure Wizard tried this out to see the response and if they feel they need to make improvements, I'm assuming they will.

Jeff

This was my first comic con and I enjoyed it.   The books for sale were unbelievable.  I personally spent over 2,000 towards CGC and over 3,000 towards books.   It sounds like I was one of the few.   The crowd was very large however.    I assume that part is a good thing.   

23 hours ago, Sam 1983 said:

This was my first comic con and I enjoyed it.   The books for sale were unbelievable.  I personally spent over 2,000 towards CGC and over 3,000 towards books.   It sounds like I was one of the few.   The crowd was very large however.    I assume that part is a good thing.   

Large crowds are good as long as some of them are spending money on books. Were you hearing that sales were thin?

What’d you pick up?

Edited by mysterio

I picked up amazing spider man 129 8.5, x-men 101 8.0, iron man 55 8.5, amongst others.   All I know is I think I saw amazing fantasy 15 at each booth along with many other holy grails.   I was overwhelmed with how great the selection was.    Wish I could have bought a lot more.   I thought the con was pretty legit!

19 minutes ago, Sam 1983 said:

I picked up amazing spider man 129 8.5, x-men 101 8.0, iron man 55 8.5, amongst others.   All I know is I think I saw amazing fantasy 15 at each booth along with many other holy grails.   I was overwhelmed with how great the selection was.    Wish I could have bought a lot more.   I thought the con was pretty legit!

Glad you had a good show! Despite being a Wizard show I’ve always thought it was legit for books. I’ve been twice and would go in ‘19 if it works out. 

Any updates from the board members who set up?  Seems like it's a cool show but I wonder if sales are flat or down at this one like most the others I've gotten info on.