• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bad form? Purchase offers via Registry

11 posts in this topic

I've done it a time or two, but I never though that it might be bad form.

What do you think, if someone else on the registry asks if you are interested in selling are you annoyed?

(not pestering, just a simple polite request)

I've done it a time or two, but I never though that it might be bad form.

What do you think, if someone else on the registry asks if you are interested in selling are you annoyed?

(not pestering, just a simple polite request)

I have had a few offers on books in my registry and don't mind at all. It provides me the option to sell if I am interested.

I have had many people offer to buy books in my registry over the years. I too have contacted a couple of registry members about their books as well. I have both bought and sold books in this manner.

It never bothered me. In fact, it's kind of flattering to know someone likes my book enough to make an offer on it.

I'm of the mind that it doesn't hurt to ask. A closed mouth can't get fed.

If saying no isn't enough or it becomes too much of a problem than obscure your set or block the user

Back when I was active in the Registry I would occasionally get requests to sell. They would nearly always expect me to come up with my number. I wasn't interested in selling at that time, anyway, but the "Would you sell? What is your price?" technique was always super annoying.

I will offer some advice to those that inquire via the Registry. Have an offer in mind. 'Some' of these inquires are simply trying to get a 'just about to get hot' book at low pricing from unsuspecting owners.

well luckilly I focus on books that have never been, and will never be "hot"

I have done this rare occasion and when I worried about my registry I had people ask me. Both ways I think it is perfectly acceptable. Risk you take when you post your books for all to see I guess

I wasn't interested in selling at that time, anyway, but the "Would you sell? What is your price?" technique was always super annoying.

Sounds like someone fishing for a deal.

I don't see a problem with asking, but if the prospective buyer is making an unsolicited offer, he'd better have a fair number in mind, or I'd shut it down.

Not a problem at all.

I've procured a few books by messaging people about issues in their registry set. I always start by giving them an offer upfront.

Some people reply with a yes or no. Some people don't reply at all. :(

I've also had people try to sell me items after looking at my registry.

I wish MORE people would look at my registry! I could use some help filling in the gaps.

But I don't think it's bad form in anyway.

Back when I was active in the Registry I would occasionally get requests to sell. They would nearly always expect me to come up with my number. I wasn't interested in selling at that time, anyway, but the "Would you sell? What is your price?" technique was always super annoying.

+1

My general rule is that if I'm selling something, I'll throw out the asking price. However, if some asks me about something that I'm not actively selling, I insist that they put out an offer first.

As long as they are willing to give a price, I have no problem. It's when they ask for something I'm not selling and then proceed to ask me what my "best price" is that I get annoyed.

Oh, and be courteous and type in complete sentences if you're asking about a book. Out of the blue "best price 4 ur AF15?" will get you nowhere.