• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do X-Men fans feel the need to own a My Greatest Adventure 80?

24 posts in this topic

As the title says do X-Men fans feel the need to own a copy of My Greatest Adventure 80 since the X-Men seems to be/is claimed to be based on the Doom Patrol? Or am I alone as an X-Men collector who also wants this book (because of the perceived link)?

I'm a lifelong X-Men fan and also like the SA Doom Patrol, but if I ever purchased the book it wouldn't be anything to do with the similarities between the two groups. There are dissimilarities, such as the rogues gallery of the Doom Patrol being much weirder. I also quite like Bruno Premiani's artwork.

I could buy the book on its own merits.

I'm a lifelong X-Men fan and also like the SA Doom Patrol, but if I ever purchased the book it wouldn't be anything to do with the similarities between the two groups. There are dissimilarities, such as the rogues gallery of the Doom Patrol being much weirder. I also quite like Bruno Premiani's artwork.

I could buy the book on its own merits.

Valid - and I did not mean to belittle the Doom Patrol or MGA80 as I think it is a great book and a cool team on its own merit. But as an X-Men fan I have a desire to own it due to the link between the two.

Agreed that the 60s Doom Patrol are great. I wanted a copy of MGA #80 for Doom Patrol, not the X-Men. I understand the link, but wouldn't connect the two in my mind. If I were solely an X-Men collector, I don't think I'd want the MGA. Related topic, I wouldn't need the pre-hero prototype issues either.

The Fantastic Four were supposed to be a "reply" to the Justice League, but for sure I would not "feel the need" to have the League's first apperance for this reason. :shrug:

I think the similarities between the FF4 and the JLA are not anywhere near that of the Doom Patrol and X-Men (considering that some people believe the idea of the X-Men was stolen from the Doom Patrol). The Avengers are a much closer response to the JLA then the FF.

But I take your point - if you were an Avengers fan you wouldn't "need" the JLA first appearance. But somehow I feel different about the Doom Patrol/X-Men thing (shrug)

I have a limited knowledge of the Doom Patrol, even if I am aware of its great importance and of course Bruno Premiani was italian.

A good friend of mine interviewed his brother, which was still alive years ago. :)

Said this, I agree with Goldie – the originality of the Doom Patrol was based on different elements, and it still feels original – that’s what makes a classic, but I wouldn’t seek it out just because you love the X-Men.

The Doom Patrol and Metal Men are DC's Silver Age greatest secrets. Mainstream hasn't found out about them yet.

I've been waiting a long time for that to happen :preach: .

I think Metal Men are more likely to happen sooner then Doom Patrol,

but who knows with Suicide Squad coming out and if that's successful, maybe it will. hm

The Doom Patrol and Metal Men are DC's Silver Age greatest secrets. Mainstream hasn't found out about them yet.

Some nice work from Kanigher and Andru on the title. Jack Cole would've been a brilliant artistic match but, of course, not to be. :(

As the title says do X-Men fans feel the need to own a copy of My Greatest Adventure 80 since the X-Men seems to be/is claimed to be based on the Doom Patrol? Or am I alone as an X-Men collector who also wants this book (because of the perceived link)?

I completely get why you feel this way, collect what you like as both are awesome and of course apocryphally linked. I feel this way about FF#1 and Showcase #6; in some ways the first Marvel comic, if you will.

That said, MGA 80 is a book I've bought a few of. It's an underrated gem, and there's always a few in the marketplace but never a huge selection. I think it's relatively uncommon, in the context of SA superhero books, that is.

Do we have a Doom Patrol appreciation thread? (I will search, just musing "aloud.")

To answer the question, no, I wouldn't associate the two. I wouldn't buy a book just because I like its counterpart from the competition.

Doom Patrol has unfortunately flown under my radar. They don't seem to travel well outside of their title, so I doubt I've read 5 comics with them in it.

Metal Men could be fun and marketable to kids. Borrow from DC's 52 and set them up against Dr Ivo, TO Morrow, Egg Fu, and whatever other mad scientist types they can find... and Chemo, of course.

Premiani :cloud9:

Putting aside Drake's belief that Lee stole the concept, both books are must haves for SA collectors since each are the "strangest" heroes in their respective universes.

X-Men 1 and MGA 80 are to the SA what Savage Tales 1 and HOS 92 are to the BA.

Best,

John

Do we have a Doom Patrol appreciation thread? (I will search, just musing "aloud.")

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAAAHAAAHHAAHA.

HEHEHEH.

heh.

No.

Get paperheart to start one