• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cloverfield 2: 10 Cloverfield Lane (3/11/16)

55 posts in this topic

That's one of the better trailers that I've ever seen.

Loved Cloverfield. Excited for this one.

+1

This made me miss the days of old before Twitter and all the spoiler sites ruining a movie months before it's out.

The concept of a teaser trailer for a surprise film that nobody really had on their radar and genuinely made people interested to go see it... what a thought!

That's one of the better trailers that I've ever seen.

Loved Cloverfield. Excited for this one.

+1

This made me miss the days of old before Twitter and all the spoiler sites ruining a movie months before it's out.

The concept of a teaser trailer for a surprise film that nobody really had on their radar and genuinely made people interested to go see it... what a thought!

I felt that way about the first Zoolander 2 teaser. Holy Hell did that one come out of nowhere.

I really enjoyed the first film. I thought it was a cool take on the giant monster movie.

But I am interested in the fact that this one might not be a direct sequel to the first movie, but rather the beginning of a kind of anthology series all set in the same universe. I remember reading an article in which JJ Abrams called this film a "blood relative" of Cloverfield.

No matter what though, that is one hell of a trailer

:applause:

Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says 10 Cloverfield Lane Only Has 3 Actors In Entire Film

According to 10 Cloverfield Lane star Mary Elizabeth Winstead, the three actors seen in the film's surprise trailer -- herself, John Goodman and Jonah Hex's John Gallagher Jr. -- are the only ones who appear in the forthcoming sequel to J.J. Abrams's hit found footage film Cloverfield. At least in key roles.

“There is this veil of secrecy to it from the very beginning,” Winstead told EW. “We were making this movie in this little bubble where nobody else knew what we were doing and there’s really only three actors in the whole thing, so it kind of felt like this really intimate experience. Now that it’s about to come out, it’s sort of crazy — like, ‘Oh yeah, people are excited to see this movie.’ I forgot that that was going to happen.”

hm

Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says 10 Cloverfield Lane Only Has 3 Actors In Entire Film

According to 10 Cloverfield Lane star Mary Elizabeth Winstead, the three actors seen in the film's surprise trailer -- herself, John Goodman and Jonah Hex's John Gallagher Jr. -- are the only ones who appear in the forthcoming sequel to J.J. Abrams's hit found footage film Cloverfield. At least in key roles.

“There is this veil of secrecy to it from the very beginning,” Winstead told EW. “We were making this movie in this little bubble where nobody else knew what we were doing and there’s really only three actors in the whole thing, so it kind of felt like this really intimate experience. Now that it’s about to come out, it’s sort of crazy — like, ‘Oh yeah, people are excited to see this movie.’ I forgot that that was going to happen.”

hm

Neat-o. I'm really looking forward to this. Hoping it'll be good!

J.J. Abrams Explains Why ’10 Cloverfield Lane’ Isn’t the Sequel Fans Expect

“There is a monster in this movie. It’s not the monster you expect, but there is a monster. The thing that I will say about anyone who is going to it expecting to see literally Cloverfield 2, those characters and that monster are not in this movie, but there are other characters and other monsters. It’s a very different story, but it is a spiritual successor to that movie. What I hope is that they will be satisfied by wanting to see something that is not of this natural Earth and not necessarily something that you would expect, and I hope that what they find gives them that fix, that thrill that I think they might be looking for in a literal Cloverfield 2 movie.”

“It just became clear that as we were working on the movie, this could be something that is not the sequel that anyone might expect. It’s not the continuation of the story that people might think of, but it was so clearly associated. There was such a clear Venn diagram of these two things, it felt like if we were literal about connections to the first movie but in no way that people might expect us to be, it could be it’s own thing. We very intentionally didn’t call this movie Cloverfield 2, but we realized that there was enough of a connection, and the movie was good enough that it warranted this association in a way that we think is justified and exciting.”

CINEBLEND REVIEW: 10 Cloverfield Lane

10 Cloverfield Lane has had a preposterously short run from its January announcement to its March release date. Developed, shot and edited under the fake moniker of Valencia, the world only learned that there would be a follow-up to 2008’s Cloverfield two months ago. Being the follow-up to such a cult and discussed film obviously comes with undue pressures to not just live-up to the original but also somehow not be overwhelmed by it too. But after the opening 20 minutes of 10 Cloverfield Lane, these concerns are reduced to a distant memory, as it immediately establishes itself as its own commodity.

There are one or two spoiler-y plot holes that you’ll unravel later when you begin to think about 10 Cloverfield Lane a bit harder, and there is a degree to which Emmet is ultimately largely extraneous, but the film still hooks, enthralls, and thrills, all while playfully toying with its audience, tipping its hat to its past, and teasing its future.

4.5/5 Stars