• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vancouver Comic Show Feb. 28, 2016 Vancouver, BC, Canada

60 posts in this topic

This thread died after everyone went to the other one to pop off about how much they hate Fan Expo.

Will be bringing over 100 fresh CGC books to the show.

Have some large purchases I am looking to make this month, so the full arsenal will be out.

Hoping someone cancels so I can annex a second table.

Yes, BC folks would like a better run Van Fan Expo.

I would like to publicly thank Leonard W. for banning so many serious collector/vendors, brick n mortar shops, and the largest Victoria, BC eBayer over the last 30 years from his HH con so that we were able to set up a comicon larger than his own HH con. (thumbs u

Local writer Kurtis Wiebe of Rat Queens comic is a confirmed guest:

http://www.canadiancomics.net/

The 2 promoters invited local anime artist Camilla d'Errico to Van Comic Show, as her latest hard cover art book just arrived at LCS this week. No confirmation yet :wishluck: from d'Errico, as she is checking her work and comicon schedule.

fyi, Wiser's Collectibles warehouse (thumbs u in Langley near the side on-ramp to Golden Ear's bridge is having their anniversary sale now to Sunday Feb 14/16. 1/2 price on back issues and newer comics. No discount on bags, boards or boxes.

22% off their eBay listed better back issues.

Another 2 collectors scooped up what few Harley Quinns were left as I got lost on the bridge during the morning rain storm. Restocked some Deadpool since the Vancouver filmed movie is actually getting decent reviews for an R rated 'comic' movie:

K77BYNNh.jpg

I will be bringing a diverse range of comic goodness to the Feb 28/16 Van Comic Show but very few slabs as they are too heavy doh! to move compared to a long box of floppy back issues.

Yes, BC folks would like a better run Van Fan Expo.

I would like to publicly thank Leonard W. for banning so many serious collector/vendors, brick n mortar shops, and the largest Victoria, BC eBayer over the last 30 years from his HH con so that we were able to set up a comicon larger than his own HH con. (thumbs u

I guess I must be out behind on the news about this fact. I did had learnt that Leonard had banned the 2 brothers from his HH con last year. Seems it has to do with a conflict of interest between him and the brothers? Then now this ... More bans on other serious collector/vendors??

??? What's going with that? Something I didn't know? Asked that because my friend and I was thinking in renting one table in HH con. But it seem to be not in the case for me.

Oh well, I got mine ready for CCC in 2 weeks ahead and I got lot of books to sort and file away in boxes. Work is fun with comics... Not! lol

Show Week!

And still have not priced a single item.

At lest I did get close to finish priced, filed and my tables are still full of comics piled up. lol

But... :ohnoez: I need a nice wall rack! :ohnoez: who got one for sale?

fan boy,

Write to Nick D and Branko M at the Van Comic Show, as they have a portable comic wall rack for sale that would fit into an SUV or mini-van. Think they are advertising rack on local Craigslist.org. It comes with 4 wooden (thumbs u legs or stilts to raise the rack.

Today's show went good what I've seen around. Made a few good sales - sold a few keys and couple high grade books. We didn't get to emply a short box but has been a good day and we still come out ahead better than last October show.

Thank you, aardvark88, for the 100 pager DC book. Gonna enjoy this while I have it. And I have found a very nice high grade GA Jughead book from another collector/vendor. <3

See you next show in June!

Looks like the guerilla marketing tactics (paying for Facebook feeds linked to key words like comic books, Vancouver, pop culture show led to more buzz via online chat) that the Van Comic Show (VCS) used worked, as the hall was still busy at 2:30 pm. The other competing Heritage Hall (HH) con usually empties out at lunch time.

The VCS seems to have turned a corner, as there were more collectors with active want lists. Yes, the usual suspects ran around and scarfed up all the hi-grade New Mutants 87 in the room, restocked Dark Knight Returns hard cover trade 1st printing, and even My Little Pony/Jem comics from me. MLP sells as well as X-men.

I achieved my sales target again which is quite good as I was expecting sales to drop 10% as my better back issues would have been cherry-picked during the 2 previous local cons.

Brief sales report:

Sold 3 JIM/Thor comics to 3 separate collectors in a single show.

Avengers # 216 Spidey joins. Bent spine so $10.

Iron Fist, Marvel Premieres with Iron Fist: Netflix hype.

Marvel Presents # 4 Ant-Man $ 25

SA GL, Tales of GL Corp #1

El Diablo #1 mini $40. No other vendor had this Suicide Squad movie hype comic.

3 SA X-men to 1 collector.

Harley Quinn #2 vol. 1 $20

Man of Steel 18 $30 Doomsday hype.

Rom 1 bent copy $5

Sorcery of Sabrina #2 (70s)

Iron Mans, What If #1 vol. 1.

Strange Tales w/ Dr Strange movie hype.

Shazam 1 (so common) $40 more movie or Black Adam hype.

Firestorm w/ 1st Felicity Smoak (tv)

Had a 12 year old boy ask daddy for $30 to buy a SA World's Finest and SA Atom. Bit surprised the child was buying 1960s comics with such a keen :hi: eye.

Alias #1, Beware Cat #1 $38

DC Superstars # 17 solo Huntress $45

Adventure Comics DC 100 pager to Fan Boy. <3

mix of 5 SA Our Army at Wars by Kubert

What did not sell for me? Deadpool as I am not usually known for stocking such 'new' issues.

Most interesting want list request:

Comics Journal 58 as it is the first true :wishluck: app. of Miller's Elektra so get it now before she appears on Netflix.

Most vendors seemed to be happy even though it rained all day outside. Black Panther #1 (Kirby, slabbed Cgc) sold for $300. Not mine. Lots of competition. Variety of $1 and 33c comics too for long box divers. (thumbs u

Saw a Timely from a fresh GA collection, and a Showcase # 22 amateur resto priced at $850.

Aardvark88, you did somewhat better than I did. Off my mind what we had sold:

Wolverine #1 NM to a collector who told me he is buying as many copies he could. Saw half a dozen copies in his box, then add my copy I sold to hi in there.

Sold ToS #51, Strange Tales #116 and a comic book to a collector

I actually sold X-Force #1 and 2 to a young man for a good deal

More collectors brought off from us than vendors did by volume we sold, I had sold to one gentleman who was looking for early horror books. I had one he liked so he brought it.

And I get few requests what they are looking, two that I thought were odd. One wanted a book called "Lom" and I had never seen that title before, my partner the same. We had to look up in guide! Another asked if I have any Rock and Roll comics, I said I may have a couple ones at home. He will come back for next show.

Oh, we also sold a few Doctor Strange books, due with the movie hype coming up.

Heard that Toy Traders from Langley had to cancel ahead of the VCS even though they had PREPAID for all 5 tables. Glad the VCS had over 5 vendors on a wait list to cover those (thumbs u 5 tables. Spoke to a regular HH vendor who was still on the wait list for VCS and was not able to get in to sell vintage comics, slabs.

Had 3 different fans/collectors take Smart phone pics of my 'aggressively' priced comics on my wall rack and said she was going to blog about the convention, thus good for more networking and promotion. :idea:

See everybody at next VCS Sunday June 19, 2016. :headbang:

Flatliner1313, I had the same results as yours. Had our biggest sales than the last show. We thought we may not do well but the people in there proved us wrong to my happiness.

That put me in movited mood to try do better in next show! :whee:

See you again on June 19th, bring your old man in tow!

This was the biggest sales day we've ever had at a show here.

Attendance was about 600 people. Would say average retail sales/booth conservatively up 15% which means some vendors had same sales as before while others had a boffo day with 50% over their previous BEST 2015 :golfclap: VCS or Fan Expo Vancouver compared :banana: on a per day basis! (thumbs u

See your on Father's Day VCS.

Here is a link to some nice wraparound pics from last Sunday's Van Comic Show that had record breaking attendance for a 1 day con.

over 20 comicon pics

fyi, Imperial Hobbies in Richmond is having there 25% off the lowest ticketed price on all recent comics, graphic novels, t-shirts, board games, toys, action figures. Sale runs to Sunday March 6/16. I bought 30 x 10c comics and 2 x $1 back issues, 200 comic polybags net $6 + taxes. Comic boxes should also be on sale, if in stock.