• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sell or hold?

252 posts in this topic

Not mine, I read everything I buy. lol

Still, I get your point. I'm as much of the problem as I am the cure. I speculate on nearly everything I buy. Every so often, stuff stays in the collection but more often than not, I'm selling those books at some point. Usually after a movie/TV announcement, when a spec site ( including this one ) starts mentioning how great a book is or how there were only 7 copies made. Sometimes, I start off with hyping a book and end up in love with it ( like TWD, Y, and East of West ) and sometimes they're worth something later, sometimetimes not worth any more than a bag and board that they reside in.

At any rate, I see why people would want 100 2nd print in their collection. Its a great cover. What I can't understand is why the 1st prints with Negan on the cover, wouldn't have demand that would far outweigh the demand for a regular TWD issue and those sell in the 60,000+ range. While I can't prove it, I can hypothesize that likely the 100A had a print run under the 60,000 mark and I'd be willing to bet my house ( and I really like my house ) that the SDCC cover was printed in a considerably smaller run. Maybe some retailers could weigh in on this because at the time #100 came out, I was buying trades only. :P

In regards to 100A, I feel like people who don't really read the comics, but only watch the show, would want a cover that everybody knows is Negan. The 100A is essentially a shadow figure.

44056278.jpg

I just don't understand betting on second prints... period. Collecting them? Absolutely, I understand that, but speculating on them? I'm sure I'm not the only one that remembers when any word other than 'first' paired with 'print' was verboten.

Still, I get your point. I'm as much of the problem as I am the cure. I speculate on nearly everything I buy. Every so often, stuff stays in the collection but more often than not, I'm selling those books at some point. Usually after a movie/TV announcement, when a spec site ( including this one ) starts mentioning how great a book is or how there were only 7 copies made. Sometimes, I start off with hyping a book and end up in love with it ( like TWD, Y, and East of West ) and sometimes they're worth something later, sometimetimes not worth any more than a bag and board that they reside in.

At any rate, I see why people would want 100 2nd print in their collection. Its a great cover. What I can't understand is why the 1st prints with Negan on the cover, wouldn't have demand that would far outweigh the demand for a regular TWD issue and those sell in the 60,000+ range. While I can't prove it, I can hypothesize that likely the 100A had a print run under the 60,000 mark and I'd be willing to bet my house ( and I really like my house ) that the SDCC cover was printed in a considerably smaller run. Maybe some retailers could weigh in on this because at the time #100 came out, I was buying trades only. :P

In regards to 100A, I feel like people who don't really read the comics, but only watch the show, would want a cover that everybody knows is Negan. The 100A is essentially a shadow figure.

Who else would it be?

When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.

I'm not saying there's a possibility of it being anybody other than Negan. What I'm saying is if there are people who only watch the show and aren't really full-blown comic readers/collectors, when they look up WD 100 on eBay and see a copy of 100A beside 100 2nd print, I honestly feel like the 2nd print wins by a mile on appearance alone. The cover looks cooler, IMO, and it shows Negan in full color.

Who else would it be?

I'm not saying there's a possibility of it being anybody other than Negan. What I'm saying is if there are people who only watch the show and aren't really full-blown comic readers/collectors, when they look up WD 100 on eBay and see a copy of 100A beside 100 2nd print, I honestly feel like the 2nd print wins by a mile on appearance alone. The cover looks cooler, IMO, and it shows Negan in full color.

Do we think these television watching, non comic fans that are searching out 1st appearances are doing so in such large numbers as to so largely impact the price? I'm not even sure these unicorns exist outside of a rare, odd person.

I just don't understand betting on second prints... period. Collecting them? Absolutely, I understand that, but speculating on them? I'm sure I'm not the only one that remembers when any word other than 'first' paired with 'print' was verboten.

Whenever a modern #1 is released, there are usually (not always) a ton of first prints. When the second and third prints are released, the print run is presumably smaller and smaller. To modern collectors, it's sometimes more about rarity than what print a book is.

But whenever I buy 1st appearances to collect, I ALWAYS look for a first print.

Whenever a modern #1 is released, there are usually (not always) a ton of first prints. When the second and third prints are released, the print run is presumably smaller and smaller. To modern collectors, it's sometimes more about rarity than what print a book is.

But whenever I buy 1st appearances to collect, I ALWAYS look for a first print.

Exactly

Who else would it be?

Do we think these television watching, non comic fans that are searching out 1st appearances are doing so in such large numbers as to so largely impact the price? I'm not even sure these unicorns exist outside of a rare, odd person.

I would imagine people who read comics, watch the show, and know about collecting would already have the knowledge to purchase the book when it was less than $50. Since the books are going up in price after his TV appearance, couldn't that mean somebody new is buying the books and driving up the price? Most comic collectors would know enough not to buy a book when it's already getting hot.

I understand the numbers game, but when I see this explanation I just see a fundamental misunderstanding of how the hobby works I guess. Again, I think people should collect what they love, but confusing value with rarity is too easy to do.

Who else would it be?

I would imagine people who read comics, watch the show, and know about collecting would already have the knowledge to purchase the book when it was less than $50. Since the books are going up in price after his TV appearance, couldn't that mean somebody new is buying the books and driving up the price? Most comic collectors would know enough not to buy a book when it's already getting hot.

Of course it could, but the burden of proof is on the person using it to make their point, not on the people you're trying to convince of it.

Who else would it be?

Of course it could, but the burden of proof is on the person using it to make their point, not on the people you're trying to convince of it.

It doesn't matter to me either way. Like you've and others have said, people will collect what they love to collect. But there has to be people driving up prices who weren't buying it a couple weeks or so ago.

Who else would it be?

100 cover a also matches up the 1st print covers with the red and yellow background with the Something to Fear 87-102 2c

It doesn't matter to me either way. Like you've and others have said, people will collect what they love to collect. But there has to be people driving up prices who weren't buying it a couple weeks or so ago.

The question is, who are those people? hm

Who else would it be?

100 cover a also matches up the 1st print covers with the red and yellow background with the Something to Fear 87-102 2c

I really like the connecting bat covers. Was that the 3rd print? I don't own any, so I can't remember 100%.

The question is, who are those people? hm

lol True

Its not an accurate comparison. I know several people who ordered multiple copies of WD 100 2nd and 3rd prints.

I didn't know several people who ordered multiple copies of CM17.

See the logic here? One book had a healthy print run with a large fan base. That fan base/speculators/collectors ordered 2nd and 3rd prints in multiple copies. Its not short in abundance, but demand will keep the price higher over time.

The other is a speculator's wet dream that they can only hope the character continues to flourish.

I know which one is better bet.

your betting Negan over Kamala ? lol

Did my logic not come across well? I thought I laid it out pretty well.

Who else would it be?

I really like the connecting bat covers. Was that the 3rd print? I don't own any, so I can't remember 100%.

Yeah there were connecting 3rd prints but I was talking about the regular cover a's from issue 87-102 with the Something To Fear title printed on the cover.

Its not an accurate comparison. I know several people who ordered multiple copies of WD 100 2nd and 3rd prints.

I didn't know several people who ordered multiple copies of CM17.

See the logic here? One book had a healthy print run with a large fan base. That fan base/speculators/collectors ordered 2nd and 3rd prints in multiple copies. Its not short in abundance, but demand will keep the price higher over time.

The other is a speculator's wet dream that they can only hope the character continues to flourish.

I know which one is better bet.

your betting Negan over Kamala ? lol

Did my logic not come across well? I thought I laid it out pretty well.

yea you laid it out ..... hows # 27 holding up? whats that book a quarter of the print run? I guess its all just opinions and guesses for now. I see logic in the fact that anyone buying #100 right now should just be flipping it, long term its going down bro ! I would bet on the unknown and potential long-term popularity of a Marvel character over half baked statements on a villain .

+1

Then you don't understand the market and don't understand that there are people who like different things than you.

Then you don't understand the market and don't understand that there are people who like different things than you.

Wonders how many 2nd print collector's also are 1st print collectors..... hm