• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Submitting comics for the first time -- questions -- help much appreciated!

30 posts in this topic

After reading this thread here, it certainly makes it seem that the entire CGC submission process is a nightmare. Very convoluted with a lot of different moving parts at the same time, even including silly things like the proper application of tape on your packages. :P

Looks like you have to not only figure out the tiers, but also your shipping and insurance options. Did you guys also mention something about minimum quantities, invoice charges, coupons for free submissions, etc, etc.? I believe I also heard that you have to be a member and pay annual dues in order to submit books for grading. If that is true, it sounds as though CGC must be making money left and right then? hm

Maybe I should take a closer look at their home page to check out the exact details of the submission process. Especially since I've been here since 2003 and I still haven't got around to checking it out yet. doh!

It can't be as difficult and costly as how you guys are making it sound. Hopefully, it's just a case of practice makes perfect. :wishluck:

You've been a member of the CGC boards for 13 boards and have never subbed any books to CGC? Impressive.

The process is not as complicated as this thread implies - you pick a tier based on the books you're submitting, choose the insurance value you want, and choose the return shipping option.

After reading this thread here, it certainly makes it seem that the entire CGC submission process is a nightmare. Very convoluted with a lot of different moving parts at the same time, even including silly things like the proper application of tape on your packages. :P

Looks like you have to not only figure out the tiers, but also your shipping and insurance options. Did you guys also mention something about minimum quantities, invoice charges, coupons for free submissions, etc, etc.? I believe I also heard that you have to be a member and pay annual dues in order to submit books for grading. If that is true, it sounds as though CGC must be making money left and right then? hm

Maybe I should take a closer look at their home page to check out the exact details of the submission process. Especially since I've been here since 2003 and I still haven't got around to checking it out yet. doh!

It can't be as difficult and costly as how you guys are making it sound. Hopefully, it's just a case of practice makes perfect. :wishluck:

You've been a member of the CGC boards for 13 boards and have never subbed any books to CGC? Impressive.

The process is not as complicated as this thread implies - you pick a tier based on the books you're submitting, choose the insurance value you want, and choose the return shipping option.

Think of how you buy anything else you want online (e.g. clothes).

Step 1: Identify a shirt you want. If you make a lot of money, its probably a more expensive shirt. (if your comic is worth a ton of money, its probably going to cost more to grade)

Step 2: Identify the color of shirt you want.

Step 3: Identify the size of shirt.

Step 4: Identify the shipping method.

Step 5: Input the payment method and addresses.

Its not really any harder than that other than you have to type in some info about your books

If you have zero idea how much your comics are worth (per tiers or for insurance), you probably don't need to be submitting books.

TO 'save' on the trouble, you can submit at shows and ask questions of CGC staff as you go, and save on some shipping.

Nothing impressive about it at all since there's absolutely no reason to slab a book until it's time to sell it, and even then, only if it's financially worthwhile to do it.

Actually, I did subbed something like 10 to 15 books when CGC first opened its doors back in '99. But only did it indirectly as the submission was actually done by Bill Hughes on behalf of the Greg Manning auction house.

Really just wanted to get a test sample of CGC's grading since it was the new game in town at the time. Probably not a representative sample in the end since they were all GA books from the 30's and 40's, instead of spreading them across the various ages. Nothing really too nice or expensive, but they all came back with grades ranging from 9.2 through to 9.6.

Will probably have to be much more selective next time, especially since it would appear that their grading fees have at least doubled or even tripled in terms of the max from when they first started. Also not sure if they would be determining their grading fees based upon Overstreet valuations like how they used to in the beginning. hm

when choosing your books you could always look said book up on ebay in the grade you think to see if its worth it. even if your not selling now doesn't mean down the road you won't sell. there were times i looked up a book and could buy an already slabbed 9.8 for slightly over the gradeing fee, that book didn't go in the order, i've also pulled books form an order bc they weren't worth getting slabbed based of seeing their selling price (unless your going for a run, then looking it up is pointless)

Yeah, looking up CGC stuff on eBay now is an eye-opening experience. Some of what I have is just not worth grading right now. Like, I have some random McFarlane Amazing Spider-Man issues... and some Deadpool variant covers from a few years ago... and they may be 9.6 copies, but if they come back slabbed at 9.4 then they're virtually unsellable at a price that would bring me any profit. So why risk it? Even if they come back at 9.6, it isn't like I'd make a mint on them -- I'd make maybe $50 tops, after eBay taxes, because it's only the 9.8 copies that are really bringing in a ton of profit.

Yes, definitely not much that is really worthwhile to grade if you are looking from the CA onwards. Especially when you factor in the normal margin of error when it comes to CGC grading, because grading is still just a matter of opinion as clearly stated on the back of their labels. hm

For example, if you look at the once hot run of New Teen Titans from the early 80's, the only ones worthwhile slabbing would be DC Comics Presents #26 and NTT #2, with the only other 2 probable issues possibly being #1 and #44 if you are lucky. If you go back to the once super hot Bryne run of X-Men from the mid 70's, the only ones that would be worthwhile slabbing might be the first 10 issues or so. Anything other then these issues of NTT or X-Men would probably not be worth the grading and shipping fees, let alone the time and effort involved, unless they are guaranteed 9.8's (is there any such thing??) or higher.

And if these are examples of 2 hot runs from the BA and CA, you can just imagine that over 99% of the books from this time period are probably not even worth any type of consideration for slabbing. The GA books are a lot simpler to figure out though, as they are all generally worthwhile slabbing as long as they are in half decent shape.

Haha, wow, if a vet from 2003 thinks that it's a lot of information to process, then I don't quite feel so bad about it.

Just spent an hour or so going over some of the comics I want to submit, putting some of them between cardboard, etc. I think the "safe release" painters tape is definitely what I'm going to use. Pulls off really easily, which is good since I've had to play around and adjust the comics a few times.

But even then... Even stuff like how to tape up the bubble wrap around each bundle of comics becomes a question. In the pictures they show full "crosses" of tape over the bubble wrap (http://www.cgccomics.com/services/shipping_your_books.asp). I'm not going to do that (unless someone here makes a case for it). I'm just using a few pieces of painters tape to secure the bubble wrap. Each bundle seems secure enough that way and I think it could be annoying to pull big long pieces of tape off of bubble wrap...

I haven't gotten around to becoming a paid member yet, which apparently I'll need to do. $150 charge but then I get $150 credit.

I'm aware of the fact that there's a $5 charge per invoice (I think). I don't know about minimums (aside from the Value service, which I won't be using).

The insurance stuff (per book, through CGC) seems kind of complicated to me, especially in terms of however much they'll charge me based on those estimates. But... whatever, I'll just have to do it. For the most part my order is going to be full of comics that I'd just like to have graded in my personal collection. So whatever the cost is to get this done, I'm basically fine with. There are some I'll be submitting that I might want to flip if they go up in a hurry later this year based on TV or movie speculation. But I don't have my heart set on doing that, nor am I basing my budget on it. Yeah maybe if my New 52 Suicide Squad #s 1 and 6 come back as 9.6-9.8 and I could flip them for a lot of money in August, then of course I'd love to do that. But if they only come back at 9.2-9.4, then I'd be content with having them in my collection for a while yet.

With everything you have to go through for this, and with all the shipping and insurance fees to and fro, I am kind of amazed that ANY CGC'd comic goes for less than $100, especially from individual non-dealer sellers. It just seems like a lot of time and work right now. But still FUN, don't get me wrong!

Yes, definitely not much that is really worthwhile to grade if you are looking from the CA onwards. Especially when you factor in the normal margin of error when it comes to CGC grading, because grading is still just a matter of opinion as clearly stated on the back of their labels. hm

For example, if you look at the once hot run of New Teen Titans from the early 80's, the only ones worthwhile slabbing would be DC Comics Presents #26 and NTT #2, with the only other 2 probable issues possibly being #1 and #44 if you are lucky. If you go back to the once super hot Bryne run of X-Men from the mid 70's, the only ones that would be worthwhile slabbing might be the first 10 issues or so. Anything other then these issues of NTT or X-Men would probably not be worth the grading and shipping fees, let alone the time and effort involved, unless they are guaranteed 9.8's (is there any such thing??) or higher.

And if these are examples of 2 hot runs from the BA and CA, you can just imagine that over 99% of the books from this time period are probably not even worth any type of consideration for slabbing. The GA books are a lot simpler to figure out though, as they are all generally worthwhile slabbing as long as they are in half decent shape.

Yes, I see what you're saying and agree.

Before now I already realized that most modern books aren't worth grading. Unless it's something really rare or really hot, in which case a 9.0 would be worthwhile. But now I'm realizing that even semi-key issues or issues from classic or well-known runs (Byrne X-Men, McFarlane ASM) aren't worth grading unless they come back 9.6 minimum.

Stories like this might be old news to you guys, but I know someone who got his New Mutants 98 graded at 8.5, couldn't sell it for the life of him at any profitable price. So then he took it out of the plastic, listed it as a VF copy, and quickly sold it for more than he was asking for a graded copy.

I'm looking at my copies of Detective 475 and 476. Mine are probably VF copies. I'm not even sure if they're worth grading, especially since I think the Mylar makes them look so nice as they are.

Think of how you buy anything else you want online (e.g. clothes).

Step 1: Identify a shirt you want. If you make a lot of money, its probably a more expensive shirt. (if your comic is worth a ton of money, its probably going to cost more to grade)

Step 2: Identify the color of shirt you want.

Step 3: Identify the size of shirt.

Step 4: Identify the shipping method.

Step 5: Input the payment method and addresses.

Its not really any harder than that other than you have to type in some info about your books

If you have zero idea how much your comics are worth (per tiers or for insurance), you probably don't need to be submitting books.

TO 'save' on the trouble, you can submit at shows and ask questions of CGC staff as you go, and save on some shipping.

I think most of it is just a learning curve. Asking questions here has helped a lot.

Haha, wow, if a vet from 2003 thinks that it's a lot of information to process, then I don't quite feel so bad about it.

Really just a long-term collector, so I never felt the need to check out the submission process since I figure that it would most likely change anyways by the time I got around to slabbing any of my books.

Not sure about any changes in the submission process itself, but the prices have sure gone up as it looks like the max charge for grading a book has now gone up from $1K all the way to $3K. :o Makes me wonder what additional value added services they are providing now on the $3K graded fee books as opposed to before or on the books that are being charged only $25. hm

I haven't gotten around to becoming a paid member yet, which apparently I'll need to do. $150 charge but then I get $150 credit.

I'm aware of the fact that there's a $5 charge per invoice (I think). I don't know about minimums (aside from the Value service, which I won't be using).

Wow, these guys are charging you left and right on top of their fees for grading. Almost like a license to print money for them, especially when you think about the majority of the books that are being slabbed. :P

With everything you have to go through for this, and with all the shipping and insurance fees to and fro, I am kind of amazed that ANY CGC'd comic goes for less than $100, especially from individual non-dealer sellers. It just seems like a lot of time and work right now. But still FUN, don't get me wrong!

Yes, it looks like everybody would have a different threshold level when it comes to determining if a book is worthwhile for grading or not. Although yours appear to be at $100, I would probably set mine's a bit higher at something like $200 or $250. Like you said, it's a lot of time and work, let alone all of the fees and other ancillary charges involved in slabbing and selling a graded book.

GA books would be a lot simpler since I would just let the auction houses take care of everything. After all, they should be doing something to account for the seller's premium which they might be charging you. lol

I guess this explains why you hardly see any slabbed books of any kind for sale at your LCS or at any of the local conventions, as everybody generally seems to deal only in raw books. hm

it's not as complacated as your makeing it out to be. honestly think your looking to much into it all with worrying about which way tape should be faceing and such

or when written out it seems more complacated then it actully is. it's easy after picking out your books sepperate into 2 piles based on date (75+ and 74-) that's it, that's how you pick your teir.......either the teir for 75+ or the teir for 74- (option A/B)

the hardest part is writting every book into the invoice (30 books is a pain). the shipping is based on how meny books your sending in, if 30 books there is no choice, only 1 option. same if 31-X there is only 1 option........how do you want the books sent back, USPS, UPS, Fedex (pick one, prices are listed for each)

ins. how much do your books add up to, personaly i just use what i paid and will (depending on the book) lower/increase that number......my dareing love 1 i paid 650, for cgc told them 450 so i was under the 500 lv that gets a teir bump (hence increasing my cost). as i said let cgc be the net, if they miss the book then it's in your favor, if they catch it then you get a phone call saying you owe more. (shrug) granted a BA12 or NM98 both in NM, might be better to put in the correct teir considering everyone knows thoes books and CGC is prob 1000% to catch it in the wrong teir

pack books in a manner that protects the books (that's it), i've personaly never looked at a thread telling "how to pack books" and have never had an issue, they have all gotten there in the condition i've sent them......hell i use cgc's own boxes to send books if i have them. lol that can be a pain bc you need to go around the box and useing a marker cross out every red stamp from the registered mail, but cgc uses some nice boxes to send books and are very sturdy

Wow, these guys are charging you left and right on top of their fees for grading. Almost like a license to print money for them, especially when you think about the majority of the books that are being slabbed.

I just feel bad for the random guys on eBay who have 8.0 or lower (sometimes much lower) copies of non-SUPER KEY issues. I can imagine these guys were in positions not unlike my own, and they figured "Hey, Uncanny X-Men 248. First Jim Lee. I'll get that graded!" And then they go through all this work and get back something totally unprofitable unless it's 9.8. Seriously, I watched it over the past few weeks because the seller kept lowering the price, and a 9.6 copy of Uncanny X-Men 248 just finally sold today, for $30 including shipping.

Just looking at the fees puts everything in a whole new light. I've got two copies of Vengeance of Bane #1. One is probably NM. The other is probably VF. If I got the VF copy slabbed, it'd probably be like an albatross. No point in having it.

Yes, it looks like everybody would have a different threshold level when it comes to determining if a book is worthwhile for grading or not. Although yours appear to be at $100, I would probably set mine's a bit higher at something like $200 or $250. Like you said, it's a lot of time and work, let alone all of the fees and other ancillary charges involved in slabbing and selling a graded book.

GA books would be a lot simpler since I would just let the auction houses take care of everything. After all, they should be doing something to account for the seller's premium which they might be charging you. lol

I guess this explains why you hardly see any slabbed books of any kind for sale at your LCS or at any of the local conventions, as everybody generally seems to deal only in raw books. hm

My threshold would probably be a little higher than $100. But I'm just saying that I can't see how anyone would want to get any CGCs that would sell for under $100 roughly, just based on the fees and effort it would take to get them done in the first place. I guess it's different if, say, you're a dealer or volume buyer, where you already submitted 9.6 copies of Edge of Spider-Verse #2 that you only paid cover price or less for -- because you just submit a copy or two of many books out of principle as soon as they are released, without even reading them -- then you could turn around and sell them for $100 and be quite happy.